What's up with the Hours req's?

I am talking more on the airline side.

While some are great, some are nightmarish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same can be said of airlines in general. Actually, that can be said of all jobs in aviation...most of these contracts at least have decent pay. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I don't see the difference of 3,000 to 10,000 hours guys in NORMAL ops. Whether a guy is typed in a 747 or a CL-65, they are typed and have shown they can fly the plane (assuming they get through OE and the next few hundred hours)... The big difference is time is experience when things aren't normal. You can be in the sim with engines going out and simulated cargo fires all day. What do you do? Yea, let's run that checklist and land. It's the real world "time" aka experience, that's makes the difference in the outcome, many times when all systems fully operational. It's when you are holding to get in, the alternate goes below mins, and you have other airports closing all around you due to a squall line or snowstorm that makes a ya learn and you can say "hmm.. Next time, this option would have prevented wool being sucked up my ass". That's the "time" that can pay dividends down the line to you and the guy next to you, in my opinion.

At the end of the day, insurance sets the mins and the competition sets the true "competitive mins". I know military guys who have been hired at majors with 1700TT... Meanwhile 5-6K from a regional isn't competitive. Is it fair? Depends on where you are in your path and mindset. I'm not going to the desert to fly a big plane just to fly a big plane, but there are plenty with lower hours who would jump in a heartbeat. It's all relative.

My question is, how in the heck do you get 500 jet PIC, let alone A320 PIC with that low of hours!

It is a lot more common in foreign countries. I have plenty of friends who got hired to fly A320s and Boeing 737s with only 250 to 700 hours total time. I even have a friend in Russia who made Captain on the A320 by the time he was 26 years old. Pretty crazy.

CRJ/small ERJs aren't really used all that much outside the USA. What do you think the first jet airliner a person would probably work on? A narrowbody. If you're not aghast at a 300 hour dude working as an FO on a CRJ, then don't be upset they're working on a A320 in some foreign country. It's basically the same thing.

It is a lot more common in foreign countries. I have plenty of friends who got hired to fly A320s and Boeing 737s with only 250 to 700 hours total time. I even have a friend in Russia who made Captain on the A320 by the time he was 26 years old. Pretty crazy.
I know someone who made 737 captain here in the states at age 23. All about timing.

Back