What's the plan DCA (HF)??

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
What\'s the plan DCA (HF)??

are you guys flying your planes out of the area? what's your plan of attack over there? boarding up and getting out of dodge JIC (just in case?)?

Re: What\'s the plan DCA (HF)??

I no longer attend there but I just got off the phone with a friend that's an instructor. The planes were moved out this morning up to Georgia. Don't know what they're doing at the airport itself. I know the instructors on hurrican ferry duty are on 4-hour call so no partying up in Georgia in case they need to rush the planes to another location in case the hurricane moves at them later in the week.

thanks for the update! hopefully Yankee_one, Wannabe or H46Bubba can inform us more later!

Stay safe guys...

Hi Kristie,

The fleet was flown out to Albany, Georgia today... DCA will be closed until Sunday

If Frances follow the current forecasted track, most likely the fleet will be moved again out of harms way.

We will resume operations as soon as the planes are back and Sanford Airport opens... at least that is what I understand.

Take care,

Fabio

Wow, I've missed a couple of days. Just got finished moving a friend who finished up his CFII and is currently on his way to Phoenix to instruct duiring his stanz wait. Us maintenance workers had a big pow wow yesterday afternoon. As by now all the planes are hopefully safe up in Albany, Georgia. That is the combined fleet from Main Campus, Broward and Jacksonville satellite schools. Four are actually flying up to Dayton to start up the new satellite school. At our meeting the plan was to have all the planes airborne by 1 P.M. and the shool close down by 5 P.M. DCA as of now is closed until Tuesday. Return of the fleet is tentative to what Frances does.

good to hear everyone is being proactive about this!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DCA cracks me up. I lucked out and made it through without seeing a single hurricane. What else kills me is that they are not paying anyone who put their name on the list to ferry airplanes out. I have friends up the road at another school which shall go nameless that are being paid plus a daily per dium until tues to take airplanes up to atlanta. Just another way they screw you. I bet they picked up the gas tab for the pres to get her mercedes out of Sanford. Glad I didn't get hired. Should be with Skyway by nov. not even a year out of DCA.

Here we go again...

We can't talk about DCA without a sore loser sticking his nose and giving his negative remarks...

All Pilots that are right now on HURAVAC duty did so with a smile on their faces... I had to stay in Orlando because I have a family to take care of. I wish I could have gone with those guys... I had received calls from a few friends and they are having a blast.

So "apilot" who the f..are you?????

Another one that goes incognito.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You ask who I am? Just a disgruntled ex student that finally saw the light. I started at that school back before delta put their name on it and I noticed a 180 degree switch in how that place operated. That place brainwashes you into thinking that they are the only way to get a job. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Sorry I rained on your parade. It's funny how they changed the rules yet again regarding CFII. When I was there if you got hired they paid for it. Now you have to pay for it then interview. It's all about money with them.

[ QUOTE ]
Here we go again...

We can't talk about DCA without a sore loser sticking his nose and giving his negative remarks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic sucks.

I never went to DCA, so if I made a negative comment about the school, you'd say "You never attended, so you have no right to say..."

If somebodyn that went to DCA and left before they finished were to say something, they're a ". . .sore loser".

So, who does have a right to say complain about DCA??

[ QUOTE ]
Here we go again...

All Pilots that are right now on HURAVAC duty did so with a smile on their faces... I had to stay in Orlando because I have a family to take care of. I wish I could have gone with those guys... I had received calls from a few friends and they are having a blast.

So "apilot" who the f..are you?????

Another one that goes incognito.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]HEY! keep it civil eh?! everyone does things differently, if the guys didn't complain about doing volunteer duty - then there's no harm/no foul done by the company. In situations like that, it's very common to do a civil service and volunteer your time to help your brothers out... no matter if their black, white or orange - same goes for flight schools aka businesses....

apilot - you have your own views.. while it's very nice of the other company to pay for everything, some companies can't and don't...that's just how it goes...

if your neighbors house is falling down into a sinkhole - are you going to ask for payment first before trying to help them or what? essentially, that's what volunteering is all about.. even if I didn't like DCA, i'd still offer to help whoever needed the help in their time of need... times like this is when you let the walls down and help your fellow neighbor, not stick up your nose cuz "the other guy is getting paid, my friends not"... KWIM?!

but Planediveguy.. keep it civil eh?! no need to make this thread into a flame war... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
and apilot, your complaints/opinions are justified but a hurricane readiness thread is NOT the place to talk about it...ok?! start up a new thread if you want.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Lloyd - you know the drill! hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

let's keep it a "hurricane frances - are you ok?" thread ok?

[ QUOTE ]
Lloyd - you know the drill! hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can dig it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Can't we all just get along." Hahaha. Boy this thread went to crap, and Kristie had to use her strong arm of the law to quiet things up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Kidding aside the school is going to re-open tomorrow morning, as of this mornings phone call. As for when the planes are flying back, hopefully tomorrow, but that depends on Frances and what she does today. I hope we don't have to do this next week too for Ivan. my paycheck is tasking a big hit, which mean I'm going to have to win big at Network JC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That's right Loyd!

That same logic applies to people criticizing Michael Moore's film without having seen it. I don't agree with Michael Moore but I can talk about the movie because I've watched it!

apilot went to Coamair Aviation Academy, now DCA and he had a bad experience... he can talk about it, but my point is that this is the wrong thread for it.

And I still think that those complaining should identify themselves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/argue.gif

Loyd,

Don't take my last post personally, I actually enjoy your postings a lot!

I don't think that it is right to bash DCA on hearsay... You can read the posts of those that did not like the school and form an opinion on it... but wouldn't that be a one sided view?

It is the same as not liking someone because you've heard a lot of bad things about him/her, without ever meeting him/her personnaly....

So talk about DCA... but I only ask you to be fair and see both sides.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for making my point.

And before you forget... DCA is a BUSINESS....so they will make changes in order to maximize profits, yes profits, according to the market.

Instructors are still geting hired...enrollment is way up this month and save a hurricane here and then things are going great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny how they changed the rules yet again regarding CFII. When I was there if you got hired they paid for it. Now you have to pay for it then interview. It's all about money with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please describe what "it" is. I was here when it was Comair, am here at DCA as an instructor, so I think I am qualified to speak about this. The change that was made re: CFII was made to be more fair to the student. No longer does someone have to wait for a couple months and then take their Standz flight which was the final determing factor in whether someone got hired or not. It is done when that student is flying daily and presumably at a very high level of competence. The Standz evaluation is now combined with the end-of-course flight. DCA isn't making a student pay for an additional flight when they would have paid for one before. Standz flights were paid for before when it was a stand alone flight, yes - and guess what, they are paid for now when you come back from break and do a "re-Standz" flight. Only difference is that the "re-standz" flight is not a determing factor in your career anymore. I have seen several people not make it through the interview, but can honestly say only one person in many minds should have been hired that wasn't. Instead of pointing a finger and blaming everyone else, look in a mirror. There is a reason that someone doesn't get hired, and it isn't because DCA got all their money out of that person that they could have. It usually involves laziness and/or horrible attitudes. You also say you saw the light, but yet you said in a previous post that you didn't get hired. Hummm, who is the one that saw the light there, DCA?!?! Hopefully you not getting hired did make you see the light, and correct whatever issue it was that prevented you from being hired, especially if you are continuing to fly.

As far as the comment about flying the planes out and not getting paid for it - YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!! Kristie said it very well. The list of pilots that are hurricane evacuation pilots is voluntary. They (DCA) pay for the hotels and food and anything else that would be a per diem expense. The time flown is solo time, can be logged and counts towards the required total time to be released. If we were flying for the money, would we be instructors to start with?? IMO, this shows the difference of the type of person that is hired as an instructor and that type of person that isn't.

For those wondering, the school will be closed until power returns (hopefully by Wed) except for maint. dept which will return tomorrow morning (Wed). Ground school will start back when the power is up (there was no damage to any of our buildings) and flight training will resume when the planes get back here, which will more than likely be Wed that they return - depending on whether they can get around the still lingering whether. Hopefully we can get back to business and not be affected by Ivan this next weekend.

Hey Foztofly!

Have you been to Sanford Airport yet? I was just wondering how things look out there...It was nice to know that none of the buildings suffered any damage. I don't know how Frances hit you guys up there, but it did not seem to be stronger than Charlie down here in south Orlando...

well, I sure hope Ivan doesn't head that way but it sure is looking like it!

btw, i'm curious... we just had Hurricane Frances and now we're hearing about Hurricane Ivan... where's the G & H? how'd we get to I so quickly?

Thanks for trying to keep it hurricane related only guys.. If I see anymore postings about DCA as a school, I'll scream! hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif for once... I want this to continue to remain a "good" posting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to talk a different subject relating to what's already been said in this subject, i just ask that you take it OUTSIDE of this thread ko?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for once... this is going to continue to remain a "good" posting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back