What's the best way to get on with SWA?

I just got hired on with Ameriflight and am looking forward to some good time building. My long-term goal is to fly for Southwest, but I'm trying to figure out the best (and quickest) way to get there. Their website says 1000hrs. turbine PIC (as well as ATP and 2500TT), but what I'm wondering is, does the type of turbine time matter that much. For example, if I have 1000hrs. turbine in the Beech 99, is that good enough, or do they really prefer/favor the turbine time in the metro/brazillia? I don't know how important it is to go for the type rating in the 1900/brazillia, or if I can be competitive with my 1000 hours of 99 time and an ATP certificate.

Thanks

If it mattered that much, they would note it. The quickest way I know of is to build time as a CFI. I did this by contacting local airforce recruiters and they sent all their students my way.

Building "good time"-After CFI, I flew in Northern Canada and Alaska.
10 hrs in Alaska is worth 50 hours anywhere else.

Point of the story....Most American companies "weed out" those with low time because of insurance costs. Develop yourself some "good time" and omit all the jargon. If a company will not hire you with 200+ hrs TT, backwoods....regardless of engine-they are not worth your time. We are a rare breed of people, remember that. Demand that.

Even If you DO make TT mins, your going to be clumped in with everyone in the race for the same job. Question is...as an Employer....would you take someone with the TT req's or someone with the hardcore experience. It all boils down to insurance.

I may be in the minority here, but requiring the type is still disgraceful methinks. Rationalize how you wish, it isn't right.

Not disgraceful at all. Just another box to check on the application, like an ATP or 1000 TPIC. If anything, it probably cuts down on the competition.

I find it disgraceful that people who go out and buy the type are considered just as qualified as those of us who earned the type at an airline actually FLYING the 737 for a few thousand hours. (grumble)

I find it disgraceful that people who go out and buy the type are considered just as qualified as those of us who earned the type at an airline actually FLYING the 737 for a few thousand hours. (grumble)

Just a question here...and I ask because it popped into my head as I was reading and I do not know the answer.

Is the training different? I mean - the folks who pay for their own type - is their curriculum different as opposed to doing it the other way?

I may be in the minority here, but requiring the type is still disgraceful methinks. Rationalize how you wish, it isn't right.

:yeahthat:

Not disgraceful at all. Just another box to check on the application, like an ATP or 1000 TPIC. If anything, it probably cuts down on the competition.

Absolutely disgraceful. Southwest requires it today, people pay for their own 737 type to get the job. Tomorrow everyother airlines managment sees that pilots will pay for their own type rating to get on with Southwest and go hey, why don't we do that too? It seems to be working for them and we save alot of money. Next thing ya know we all get to pay for our own type.

I think it sets a bad precedent. Just like when everyone started accepting low paying jobs with horrible work rules. One regional got away with it, now they all do it.

Just a question here...and I ask because it popped into my head as I was reading and I do not know the answer.

Is the training different? I mean - the folks who pay for their own type - is their curriculum different as opposed to doing it the other way?

Not a whole lot to my understanding...however Zap has a couple thousand hours operating that airplane in a crew environment in and out of weather day in and day out. That is where the real experience is at...

Zap which 73' where you flying back in the day?

:yeahthat:

Absolutely disgraceful. Southwest requires it today, people pay for their own 737 type to get the job. Tomorrow everyother airlines managment sees that pilots will pay for their own type rating to get on with Southwest and go hey, why don't we do that too? It seems to be working for them and we save alot of money. Next thing ya know we all get to pay for our own type.

I think it sets a bad precedent. Just like when everyone started accepting low paying jobs with horrible work rules. One regional got away with it, now they all do it.

Exactly. I find it laughable that the same people who think this is ok, will then go and bash someone for taking an RJ course. And the argument that Southwest is a good paying job doesn't hold water. Unless PFT is ok as long as the salary is high enough. Cant have it both ways.

Back