Whats the average age?

What is the average age pilots get hired by a regional airline and a major airline? About, what is the youngest age that I can work for a major airline?

Regional i think is Early to mid 20's

major is early to mid 30's

23 is the youngest age to work for a major because you need an ATP. Which has an min age requirement of 23 to get.

Hello,

Well, I'm not an expert as I don't have a job at either, but my best educated guess is that it ultimately depends on the number of flight hours you have. The minimum age at regionals is usually 21. At the majors the minimum age is 23, and most prefer that you have a four year degree before they'll even consider you.

So, on average, I'd say the youngest people hired at a regional are between 22 and 24, and most people are hired at a major between 25 and 27.

-Jay
smirk.gif

Mid twenties as average for majors, you're kidding right?

I thought I read somewhere that the average age of a major airline new hire is between 33-37 years.

When AA was hiring minimums were 21yrs and knew a guy that just retired who hired on at 21.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the average age pilots get hired by a regional airline and a major airline? About, what is the youngest age that I can work for a major airline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm 27 yrs. old and hope to be hired by a regional airline no later then age 30 maybe 31.

At least that is the plan.

So with what was said in previous post for this thread did I starting my career choice too late in life?

Doug or any other airline pilots or anyone wanna weight in on this?

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It W I D E L Y varies.

When hiring is hot, the average age usually goes down. I got hired at 27 and people were amazed at how young I was. But 12 months later, we had lots of 23 and 24 year olds.

At Skyway, most people were mid/late 20's when I got hired, but then when hiring really took off, there were a lot of 23 year olds getting hired.

Cool cause it was something I had worried about but not actively.

A friend of mine just got hired at American Eagle and he is like 24.

So naturally me being 27 and only having close to 200 hrs. tt did concern me cause I'm not getting any young ya know.

Matthew

Hell my mom got hired at 19 as a FO/FA for some English carrier flying EMB110's. So I guess you were never to young then. You didn't even need a comm. or M/E rating, all the insurence people cared about was having a PPL in the airplane incase somthing happend to the pilot. And no it wasn't PFT, she got paid.
smirk.gif

Just think about all those young pilots in WWII. 18 and 19 year olds flying fighters and bombers in the war. That is amazing to think about. These guys were just out of high school and were out changing the world forever. Now, when you the public sees a young regional pilot they ask if they're old enough to fly planes. Crazy how times change.

How old are you? I've seen a lot of your posts lately but I don't think I have run across your age.

Just curious...

You also have to consider what kind of connections a person has. If you did an internship or something along those lines, you have a better chance of getting hired with the airline you did the internship with, plus they lower their time requirements too.

My buddy got hired at ASA as F/O in the CRJ in June '02 at age 22. He was the youngest F/O there at the time.

Back