Whats so bad about being OAK based with Ameriflight?

45 approaches a week, you're kidding right? I've lived in California my whole life and you aren't gonna have bad weather for 5 straight days. Not to mention the only 9 leg run is to all VFR airports so if its that bad you aren't going anyway.

I've lived in Cali all my life too, and i'm not saying i've ever done or even heard of anyone doing 45 approaches in a week, I was just trying to get the point across that some of the runs suck here. And trust me Ameriflight wants their cargo there no matter what, they will ask you to shoot an approach to the nearest IFR airport and then scud-run to the destination. And if that won't work they will just divert you to that IFR airport. There is no the weather is too bad today so just go home stuff at Ameriflight.

Word on the street is you'll have to wear a monkey suit. And that sucks.

That's true. Thats only on the west side and in the middle. The east side wears polo shirts primarily and uni's at their discretion/per the customer.

There is no "the weather is too bad today so just go home" stuff at Ameriflight.

As a comercial pilot, you are not getting paid to fly when it's easy and fun.

If the weather is bad, you need to come up with a plan B,C,&D. Maybee you need to wait, maybee you need to divert somewhere else. Calling in that you don't want to fly because of chalanging conditions is not an option. There have been many flights where I wanted to be anywhere else, but I could legally and safely continue. It wasn't fun at all, but fun isn't what I get paid for.

I have not once canceled a flight. However, there have been numerous ocasions where I couldn't get to my normal destination, had to take on extra fuel, had to delay my departure, ect. On a couple of ocasions the delays and other issues have prompted the customer to cancel, but that wasn't my decision.

"Don't deviate, penetrate, or you'll be late."

In all earnestness, you'll find that the really scary stuff is so scary that no matter how salty you get, you'll go around it. But the vast majority of weather that you imagine will rip the wings off is actually just uncomfortable. Use common sense and you'll be fine. For all of the "cowboy" epithets hurled at freightdogs by hairspray wearing RJ gear-puller/button-mashers, how many cargo flights actually crash because they "pushed it" in weather? Not many, and most of the ones that do have to do with ice, which, as USMC suggested, is not that bad if you have a plan to deal with it. Just don't launch in and say "if something goes wrong, I'll figure it out later". But then that falls under the heading of "common sense" so there you go.

"Don't deviate, penetrate, or you'll be late."

In all earnestness, you'll find that the really scary stuff is so scary that no matter how salty you get, you'll go around it. But the vast majority of weather that you imagine will rip the wings off is actually just uncomfortable. Use common sense and you'll be fine. For all of the "cowboy" epithets hurled at freightdogs by hairspray wearing RJ gear-puller/button-mashers, how many cargo flights actually crash because they "pushed it" in weather? Not many, and most of the ones that do have to do with ice, which, as USMC suggested, is not that bad if you have a plan to deal with it. Just don't launch in and say "if something goes wrong, I'll figure it out later". But then that falls under the heading of "common sense" so there you go.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Your wrong you need to stand up and get some balls and act like a PIC.

You Guys are acting like i'm the one that said if the weather is bad i won't fly...thats wrong, i was refering to this post where this guy said all the airports on the 9 leg run are to VFR airports. He acted like if it wasn't VFR you wouldn't be flying, and i was saying thats wrong. See:

45 approaches a week, you're kidding right? I've lived in California my whole life and you aren't gonna have bad weather for 5 straight days. Not to mention the only 9 leg run is to all VFR airports so if its that bad you aren't going anyway.

So now you need to grab your balls and pull them up over your face, because you look like an idiot JayAre.

And at Ameriflight if you can't get into your airport A, you are required to call on a company radio freq. and let them know. They will then get on the computer and check weather and then tell you where your airport B will be. This is so the couriers can start driving to that new airport to pick up the cargo.

The 9 leg run stops in Reno at 650 am, if the weather at any of the 3 further stops is uncertain you can try to get there or bypass to one of the other ones. If there is a front moving through you will remain in Reno for the whole day since you wont be able to get into Beckwourth, Susanville, or Alturas. I could keep going with this but since I've actually done it but there isnt any point. The other run with a lot of legs is served by airports which all have an ILS save for one.

I've done the run before. It's not so bad. I'm the PIC and if things look hairy I don't go any further than I can. Thats on any run out of OAK or anywhere in the system.

That run is small potatoes compared to the length of some of the flights I'm doing now.

I've done the run before. It's not so bad. I'm the PIC and if things look hairy I don't go any further than I can. Thats on any run out of OAK or anywhere in the system.

That run is small potatoes compared to the length of some of the flights I'm doing now.

HAHA you dont even fly your always at the bar with us, or sitting in the back room!! :)

Hey I have a few questions on Ameriflight.

How do the runs at Ameriflight work? Does your route change every week or do you have the same route for the entire month? How often do you bid for bases/routes/etc. Also, I know for the PA31 its a M-F gig, so that means you only get 8 days off a month?

Back