What's next?

TheWife

What\'s next?

What do you think you will do when you are done at FSI? Will you go somewhere else to instruct? Wait till you can instruct there? Interneship? Is anyonw going to do the extra program that guarantees your job?

Re: What\'s next?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think you will do when you are done at FSI? Will you go somewhere else to instruct? Wait till you can instruct there? Interneship? Is anyonw going to do the extra program that guarantees your job?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm scheduled to finish my CFII in a few weeks. I've already interviewed with FlightSafety and gotten my waiting list number, but I plan on returning to Chicago to put out some resumes at the schools in the area. But I'm not overly optimistic about the flight instruction job market with winter on its way so I'm also planning on interviewing (or trying to get an interview) for one of the FlightSafety internships.

ASA also recently started an internship program with FSI so I'm applying for that as well. It's something that they've been doing since 1996 with a few universities, but this is the first time with an academy.

I'm unaware of any program that will guarantee you a job.

One thing that I'm not going to do is wait around for FlightSafety to call me back. If it happens and I'm in the right situation, then I'll have to decide if it's worth it or not. But in the mean time, I'm going to do my best to get some sort of aviation related job, preferrably instructing.

Dave

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the program. It was something like instead of having you get paid to do the first officer training, you pay them like $25K and then you do the training, and then you are guaranteed to be hired by the company as a first officer. Something like that anyway. I'll have to ask Corbin more about it when he gets home.

Congrats on finishing up!

I think you are talking about the program with ASA. From what I have heard form people on here, that program is not going anywhere right now. They aren't taking in anymore people right now.

Yeah, that sounds like the ASA direct track program. That hasn't been active for several months now, but I'm sure that they'd love to get it going again. The problem is that ASA isn't currently hiring because they are transitioning all of their turboprop crews over to the CRJ. Maybe once they get back to hiring, the situation will change. But, just to clear up some semantics...

First you interview with ASA. If you're offered conditional employment, then you can enter the direct track program. After that, you go to the indoc training and put what you've learned to use. You still have the potential of washing out just like anybody else, but it's unlikely that you would if you made it through all of the training at FSI. So, it's not a "guarantee" per se.

Dave

Ah, ok. Hmm. I wonder why they brought it up if they aren't taking anyone? Maybe they thought by the time Corbin gets to that point the porgram would be ready. How is the instructor market in FL at places other then FSI? Are there any FBO's that seem to need instructors? I get so nervous when there are so many "unknowns" in the future, but I guess I better get used to it huh? I wonder what percent of FSI grads are going to stick around and wait to be an instructor there?

I know several instructors who should be in the next stands. class that have topped 1000 hours. Depending on where they are, they may not want to move back to VRB and sign their name to an 800 hour contract that could take 2 years to fulfill at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they thought by the time Corbin gets to that point the program would be ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably so. They haven't scrapped the program or anything like that, but you really can't expect ASA to take direct track people until they have a need to hire people. Hopefully that will be in the not so distant future!
smile.gif

I couldn't really tell you about the FL instructor situation. I haven't looked. I think that if you were to wait for FlightSafety to call you back for a CFI position, you would be doing yourself a disservice. Put it this way. There are two instructors here now who were in the same standardization class. One of them instructed elsewhere before coming back and the other didn't. The one who did is about to leave for a regional. The other instructor has to continue instructing for a few more months before he's got enough hours to start looking.

Personally I'd love it if I could start instructing here tomorrow. But that's not the case so I'd rather continue my career than wait. No bag on FSI, that's just the way things are.

Yes, the inevitable unknowns. Makes life interesting doesn’t it? Good luck with selling the house!

Seeya,
Dave

[ QUOTE ]
I know several instructors who should be in the next stands. class that have topped 1000 hours. Depending on where they are, they may not want to move back to VRB and sign their name to an 800 hour contract that could take 2 years to fulfill at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to the list once they start calling people back.

Get a job somewhere else. FSA is a waste of time as an instructor. Sure the multi time is a valuable asset, but at 30-40 hours a month it will take forever to get the hours you need for another job. There are many openings for CFIs around the country. You just have to look and be willing to move somewhere even if it is in a place that is not very appetizing.

IMHO, the internship program through FSI is a waste b/c you don't log any flight time and the possibility is even there that you don't get a type rating out of it. Good Luck with whatever you do.

I have heard rumors that the next stand class is coming pretty soon. FSI is actually getting pretty low on instructors right now and everyone who is currently teaching has fairly high times. I doubt you could find an instructor with less than 700 hours and most are well over 1000. A few small hiring surges will almost clean the place out.
I image that first call up for stand class will take a big chop out the waiting list.
cool.gif

I think that a number of instructors will get hired but I think your forecast is a bit optimistic. I think the waiting list is up to around 100 right now according to some who were just hired. You would have to think 20-30% of those will not return as they have gone on to other things. The waiting list will shrink but I would think by less than half over the next year. This is purely a guess but I don't look for the huge hiring surge that some seem to predict. In a lot of ways, we're all a lot better off with steady sustained growth than the boom bust cycle of the past. Just my .02!

I guess that we'll just have to wait and see. Anything else would be pure speculation. I'm #98.

Woohoo, part of the double digit club!

wink.gif

Dave

Well, I like to think that I'm already #1. hehe
wink.gif

Who knows? Like I said, until the ball starts rolling again, there's no point in speculating. I can tell you that I'm not going to stay around in Vero Beach waiting for it to happen. I'm just having fun getting my CFII and looking forward to getting out and doing some instructing! (notice how green and un-jaded I am
grin.gif
)

Dave

You mean you don't want to hang out another 3 months or so just so you can meet us? WELL! LOL.

Who knows, maybe the aviation world will do a 180° and I'll become Corbin's instructor. Now that's a LOL!!!

wink.gif

Dave

Stranger things have happened! Who knows, maybe I'll end up and be both your instructors! Wooweeeoooo....
crazy.gif

Back