Whats considered competitive?

mrivc211

Well, in the last few months in particular I've run into people or met people who have been hired at the regionals with all different kinds of hours.
Some had 1100TT and 110 ME and got hired at Skywest, some had 4000TT and 1800ME and were hired with others. Now I know theres a lot more to you getting hired than just experience, but what gives? I hear people getting hired at close to 1000 hours (I'm only 400 away) and get all excited then I hear people that aren't getting hired and are applying like crazy.
confused.gif

I'll add the only first hand knowledge I have. At FSI instructors who have recently gotten hired have around 1000-1200 TT with around 500-600 hours multi.
shocked.gif

One of our CFI's was at FSI and has about 1800 and 700ME and can't get anything either. It's weird!

Last April, my instructor at FSI got on board with a very small corp. company out of Iowa. He had 1900TT 600ME and he found this company on a lucky star, other than that he had no leads on a job. This day in age really really sucks! It doesn't give us "low-timers" much to work for other than be the best instructors we can and hope something breaks the ice.

One of the CFI's at my FBO just got hired on as a Hawker F/O. He had over 2500TT and a butt-load of multi time.

My instructor has resume's out everywhere. He has just over 1100TT and something like 140 hours multi. and he hasn't gotten one hit.

Guess it all depends on the company, who you know and who knows you.

Good luck though!! Keep it up and keep us posted!!

R2F

I had 1080tt and 42 multi when i got hired for my job. I got the interview because a friend new the chief pilot and I walked my resume in. Networking works. You also have to be willing to move to where the jobs are. I have no desire to spend the rest of my life in Alaska, but that is where the jobs are and I took a chance and moved up there. I will probably be flying up there for about two years before I try to move back down to Seattle. By that time I should be somewhere near 3500tt and 2200 mult turbine.

[ QUOTE ]
By that time I should be somewhere near 3500tt and 2200 mult turbine

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats awesome, with that kind of time you can bypass the regionals and apply to the majors!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By that time I should be somewhere near 3500tt and 2200 mult turbine

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats awesome, with that kind of time you can bypass the regionals and apply to the majors!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am flying for a regional, just one in Alaska. We are the 39th largest one in the U.S.

[ QUOTE ]
If the majors start hiring again in our lifetime

[/ QUOTE ] I;m a little worried about that myself. The reason is because I have an opportunity to fly a 727 overseas for three years. But if I choose to do that, I'll be coming back to the states with no job and if the majors aren't hiring I'm SOL. If I stay here and get on with a regional, at least I'v got a job after three years, if they don't furlough me before then.
confused.gif

I've spoken to Captains at American, Southwest, my friend who flies for American Eagle, my uncle at United and Continental, etc etc they all say I should go.
On top of everything, I gotta admit its also hard to just leave everything behind and be gone for three years.

I keep thinking of that movie flight of the navigator where the kids been gone for five minutes alien time but when he comes back everyones moved on by like 20 years. Lol!

Where is the job overseas? 3 yrs isn't that long, I imagine that you'd have the opportunity to come back to the US every so often no?

I'd probably take the job provided it wasn't in a country that makes my face cringe when I hear the name.

Hey....networking is everything!!!!! I've actually got a lead on a job, and it prooves what everybody has been saying. I'm a sub-1000 hour pilot, and I personally know a guy that just happens to be looking for a pilot to fly in the right seat of his bizjets (2-crew operation, part 91, Learjet types)..... He know I fly, and will be looking for a job here very soon. I know he needs a pilot. So.......there it is. His insurance company tried to give him a hard time, but he told them that he's just self insure the aircraft if they didn't want hi business....that eneded that!!!

Back