Whats better FBO or Academy?

turpentyine

What would be the best place to take flying lessons for a 19 year old college sophmore who hopes to have a career as an airline pilot instead of in his major an FBO or one of those avaition Academies?

Whatever best suits you. Your gonna hear a thousand different pilots with probably a thousands different reasons why one is better thant the other, but in the end go where youll be happy and where you feel is the best for you. If i were you id at least get my private any other ratings you can get while in college and then look into the academies.

turpentyine,
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, and I am going FBO, at least until I finish college. That allows me to do things on my own schelulde and as money allows. After that I'm gonna see where I'm at and decide if I want to go to an academey to finish up my ratings.

Flying with an FBO is going to allow you to take things at your own pace. Flying once a week or 5 times a week is totally your call. At an academy such as FlightSafety where I attended, they like to see you flying at least 4 days a week. In my case I flew 6 days a week for 9 months (except for Christmas where I took 3 days off).

Academies are also quite pricey so it also depends on how much you want to spend. Good luck with your decision.

[ QUOTE ]
turpentyine,
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, and I am going FBO, at least until I finish college. That allows me to do things on my own schelulde and as money allows. After that I'm gonna see where I'm at and decide if I want to go to an academey to finish up my ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh is it hard juggling school and flying lessons?
what year of college are you in? i am a sophmore

It depends on your major, mine is mechanical engineering, so my classes are kind of tough and I take a lot of units cause I'm trying to get out of there in four years. The average for mechanical engineering is over 5years! I'm just about to start my junior year.

It's all about what's best for *You*.

If you want to stay enrolled in college at the same pace you are, working with a flexible FBO over an academy would probably be more suiting, but It depends.

Back