whats all this pan scam stuff all about?

A380_800

this is my second post on jc.

confused.gif
i was wondering why and where all this pan scam stuff came from .
i read the previous posts and still dont understand, but i think the reason pan am became panscam is because the following.

#1 too expensive for most people.
#2 just couldnt hang w/ the tight curriculum and airline type training.
#3 wasnt good enough to become an instructor..
etc..

this all builds up and people cant blame themselves so they come down bashing the school that they think made them that way..

i have nothing to do w/ paifa but just amazed w/ all the negative posts i see here ...

currently im searching for an academy to train and tell u the truth these negative posts arent really changing my mind of considering paifa as one of the candidates...

just had to say something after reading all the bs going on this site..
confused.gif

Well, you may want to consider the fact that there are negative posts on here for a reason, perhaps there are students that were not satisfied with their experience. There are other forums that concern schools just as expensive as Pan Am and you dont see as many disgruntled students, I personally would take that as a sign....

[ QUOTE ]
this is my second post on jc.

confused.gif
i was wondering why and where all this pan scam stuff came from .
i read the previous posts and still dont understand, but i think the reason pan am became panscam is because the following.

#1 too expensive for most people.
#2 just couldnt hang w/ the tight curriculum and airline type training.
#3 wasnt good enough to become an instructor..
etc..

this all builds up and people cant blame themselves so they come down bashing the school that they think made them that way..

i have nothing to do w/ paifa but just amazed w/ all the negative posts i see here ...

currently im searching for an academy to train and tell u the truth these negative posts arent really changing my mind of considering paifa as one of the candidates...

just had to say something after reading all the bs going on this site..
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part I think you hit it right on the head. I am currently a student at the Pan Campus in Deer Valley. In my opinion, this school is definitely NOT for everyone. If I could do it again, I would MOST definitely have done my private licence at a very good FBO. Not that the instruction at PAIFA was bad, only because I had a really hard time learning to land. I easily spent a couple Thou$$ just flying the pattern learning to land.

The second point is quite accurate as well. I was amazed at how hard the school pushes. The expectation on every lesson is that you "Get It" the first time! If an individual isn't truly committed, isn't willing to do their homework, and spend the extra time reading and staying ahead, it is going to cost them some serious $$$. Unfortunately, the pace of the program takes just about every once of fun out of it. The learning curve is VERY steep, and VERY challenging. This program is not for everyone. I feel pretty lucky to have started w/ a small group that as a whole is quite committed, and very supportive of each other.

I am not sure about the third point you mentioned, as I am no where near becoming an instructor. However, I can see an individual getting a little upset if they had paid out the arse, and when instructor time came, the school refused to hire the person. If that were the case, the school should have counseled that person out of the program, LONG before he/she got to the interview table.

IMHO, I think alot has changed w/ PAIFA, at least at the Deer Valley campus. From what I have heard, the previous Chief FI, that ran DVT, was quite the "bastard". It was his way, or the Highway! Gestapo strict, if you get my meaning... The new Chief, must be his anti-thesis. The feeling I get, is that the flight dept. truly cares about the student and their progress, not just how much they can milk out of his flight account. (I haven't spent much time w/ the Adminstration, so I can't share anything about them.)

IMHO, I think the training has been top notch. I haven't come anywhere close to failing a Checkride, I am currently 3 for 3.

In the end, each person has to take responsibility for their success or failure. If the person isn't grown up enough to realize that, then it is going to be a LONG and expensive ride...

im just saying what i think as a person who has zero hours and is planning to train as to hopefully become a professional pilot in the near future..

as a guideline, what should i look for in an academy and ask the represetatives prior of enrolling..

is there anything particular for me to check out besides cost , flight hours etc.?

im currently planning on touring FSA, PAIFA and SIERRA..
smile.gif

Just remember that every admission rep will try to talk you into coming to THEIR academy. I would be careful and make the best choice given real and accurate information no matter where you decide to go.

[ QUOTE ]
im just saying what i think as a person who has zero hours and is planning to train as to hopefully become a professional pilot in the near future..

as a guideline, what should i look for in an academy and ask the represetatives prior of enrolling..

is there anything particular for me to check out besides cost , flight hours etc.?

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get your pilot ratings and certificates anywhere, especially if you're from Los Angeles, so why not save your money and stay home?

[ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I would most definitely spend the time and talk to some random students. Find out how many times a flight has been cancelled due to maintenance, scheduling etc. Find out whether or not the students are on/over/under budget? Were their any unexpected expenses? How many students have been hired in the past few months? Where did they go? What has their experience been like w/ their private/inst/comm instructors?

Sometimes it is hard to get a good "read" on a school unless you take the time to talk to those that are already enrolled. I am sure that if you ask enough people, you will get a healthy range of responses.

Good luck!
LC

Back