What's a ram air turbine?

Snow

'Not a new member'
What\'s a ram air turbine?

Hello again, yet another question about a MiJet plane I downloaded, this time the 777. Anyhow it talks about it having a deployable ram air turbine, from what I can tell it's a thing that pops out under the belly of the plane on a poll.

If I were to take a guess, I would say it is some kinda emergency windpowered electrical generator?

Can anyone tell me what it is, when and what it's used for and what other aircraft besides the 777 have them?

Much thanks,

PS Who said you can't learn new stuff from Flight Simulators?
grin.gif

Re: What\'s a ram air turbine?

RAT’s provide reliable emergency/back-up power for operation of critical flight controls and other essential functions on a wide range of aircraft.

[ QUOTE ]
RAT’s provide reliable emergency/back-up power for operation of critical flight controls and other essential functions on a wide range of aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

think of it as a windmill you deploy to make emergency electrical power

They used it on the Air Canada 767 (Glimi Glider) that ran out of fuel to have enough hydraulic power to use the flight controls.

It still needs a bit of work, currently it does not power the entertainment system or the coffee machine!! Maybe E.N. will work this out!

I know the crjs have them. I also hear, if its deployed in error, its quite the pain, and your company is likely to have words with you!!!
confused.gif

A rat??? Cool, I've never heard of them before! So that is their purpose -- to provide electral power? Do they serve any other purpose?

The RAT on he 757 is located aft of the landing gear on the co pilots side. I heard that a few years ago a guy was standing under it while the plane was being unloaded. Either the pilot or a mechanic hit the button by mistake and I guess you guys can figure out the rest.

The 777 RAT provides backup electrical and/or hydraulic power to the critical systems on the aircraft in the event of MAJOR electrical or hydraulic failure. A dual flame out would be an example. It would provide essential flight instruments and certain primary flight controls until you got an engine going or the apu comes online. With just the APU and RAT you would have full instumentation (all glass Cockpit), controllability (primary flight controls),and the worlds largest glider!

Till they can get the IFE and coffee machine on it, there is still room for improvement.

Back