What you've learned on your own?

Re: What you\'ve learned on your own?

I learned that tailwinds are really bad, and you can you have them even when flying out of a controlled field.

As recently as last Wednesday I learned that I'm still capable of unwittingly setting myself up for a little reverse sensing on an approach!

Twice!

Doh!
crazy.gif

That mom was wrong and when I do make my face look like that, it does not freeze.

* Check the oil every time you stop, oil leaks can develop quickly.
* If you fly a plane with a gps that you're unfamiliar with and don't want to put /G on the flightplan, don't put /A on there instead, dme is sometimes used from LOC frequencies. Put /U on the flightplan if you don't know how to use the GPS.
* Never take off on a DP when you can't figure out how to load it in the GPS and it requires DME and you have no DME (even if you're in VFR conditions
* Never try to "eyeball" 3 DME when you filed /A, without DME because you don't know how to use the GPS.
*Make sure you have the current charts, don't use the charts as soon as you get them in the mail, wait until they're valid. DP's change name/number when there is a change (i.e. mustang 5 changes to mustang6 when there is a change)
*If you instruct near controlled airspace, talk to approach or go somewhere else
*students will try to kill you (as mentioned before)
*don't keep track of how much you spend on flying
*when you mention to a girl that you're a pilot, they don't immediatly think of you as their ticket into the mile-high-club
*having a 26 knot crosswind and no close alternate sucks when you have to pee.
*If you call the tower for takeoff and you don't get a reply after several tries, it doesn't always mean your radio is out. Seems they vacuum in there sometimes and can't hear their radio.
*make sure the primer is locked.

I learned on my own...
-I can't land in a crosswind
-I didn't know how to talk on the radios
-I know a lot less than I thought
-Flying part 61 and college is a lot harder of a combination than I ever thought it could be
-the abc's backwards zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba

[ QUOTE ]

-the abc's backwards zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba

[/ QUOTE ]

I Don't Get it ???

Viper548, that was great, thanks for your abreviated recap, it gave me something to chuckle about. LOL (those things you don't get in your instrument training)

That when you tell someone who asks you if you fly IFR "all the time, I follow roads" they won't get it and you will get a very blank stare and then they will look at you like you are nuts.

The biggest and scariest lesson I've learned is that flying in even moderate scattered snow showers (VFR) can kick your butt fast. If you know the area well, and feel pretty good that you can give the snow a wide berth, than go for it, otherwise, file IFR and get on top.

You might as well photocopy your sectional at the lowest contrast level and use it to navigate, b/c just about any visual reference is lost.

White on the ground+ Gray above you+millilons of white particles streaming past your windscreen in odd directions=Spatial Disorientation--FAST.

Also, if you want to go on a VFR trip using a VOR for navigation, ALWAYS check the AFD for the VOR. You'll find the unreliable zones listed as well as useful tidbits like "VOR Unusable below 10,000 feet"

Treat EVERYONE you meet like they own a hangar full of jets and are looking for pilots, even if they do cut you off in their piece of sh#$ Cadillac and don't respond to repeated honking, yelling, and flippage of middle finger. Once you find out they aren't in the industry feel free to let your inner-bastard out.

Sunglasses are just a way for your instructor to sleep without you knowing it.

Most importantly - If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'm go, because, man, they're gone.

Back