What would you say...

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
So at the Vegas NJC tower tour while in the cab I hear this:

"Cactus #1176 maintain visual seperation runway 07R clear for takeoff,contact departure control 125.08."

Well I thought that was weird to be told to contact departure when you're sitting on the numbers in preparation for takeoff. So I guess my question is what would be the read back concerning altitude.

When vacating an altitude one should make ATC aware. Here in PHX I often here

"PHX departure Air Shuttle #1110 climbing 5800 for 8000." I know that "with you is" a passionate subject amongst pilots. But in this case since your just leaving the runway and pulling the gear up would it be proper to say.

"LAS departure Air Shuttle #1110 with you for 8000!"

The LAS controller said that it is legal to give departure change over directions when cleared to takeoff. But might one consider it to be dangerous or at least distractionary to flying the plane to be dialing in the frequency for Dep while exiting the runway and pulling up the gear?

They probably already have that frequency in so they won't have to "dial it". Thats what F/Os are for.
Lol and there is never a excuse/reason to use with you. You would definetly have some altitude prior to calling them. Something like "Air shuttle 1111 climbing 1,100 for 8,000." This also serves as an altitude check on you xpdr for ATC.

Or "Air Shuttle eleven-eleven, one thousand one hundred for eight thousand"

Airline flight numbers can be grouped, per my ATC class :p
O.K. I'll take your word on that. I don't speak "airline".

<edit to add:>
...and it should be "climbing eight thousand", not "for eight thousand" (for/four/fore).

haha flying out of richmond at 2 AM Ive gotten a clearance to taxi/takeoff/contact departure when Im still parked at the ramp

The best was one time I got a squawk code over the ATIS frequency, tower guy had to use the lav and knew I was quickturning, so at the end of the atis he had my clearance:D

Or "Air Shuttle eleven-eleven, one thousand one hundred for eight thousand"

Airline flight numbers can be grouped, per my ATC class :p

This is one of my pet peaves, drilled into my head by the Army. Using "for" can be heard as "four" just like "to" and "two."

When I was at Ft Campbell an F-16 took off and approach said: "Fighterjock 12, climb to 4,000."
He heard, "climb two-four thousand," hit the after-burners and was at FL 240 in no time at all, much to the surprise of the approach controller.

Anywho, the Army teaches saying "climb and maintain," and "descend and maintain" to avoid confusion. And yeah... I know it takes longer to say... using the above example it can be shortened to:

"Air Shuttle eleven-eleven, one thousand one hundred climbing eight thousand."

EDIT to add: Like Steve C said... just reread the posts and that was his example.

I have to say that i was pretty darned impressed with the LAS ATC tour... I learned a heck of a lot about airspace, waypoints, taxi control and so forth (even what NOT to ask! haha)...

It was definately worth it and altho we couldn't get into TRACON, it was interesting to see how Tower works....I totally appreciate what the ATC guys are dealt with on a daily basis now.

This is one of my pet peaves, drilled into my head by the Army. Using "for" can be heard as "four" just like "to" and "two."

When I was at Ft Campbell an F-16 took off and approach said: "Fighterjock 12, climb to 4,000."
He heard, "climb two-four thousand," hit the after-burners and was at FL 240 in no time at all, much to the surprise of the approach controller.

Anywho, the Army teaches saying "climb and maintain," and "descend and maintain" to avoid confusion. And yeah... I know it takes longer to say... using the above example it can be shortened to:

EDIT to add: Like Steve C said... just reread the posts and that was his example.
dont you think you would question a clearance to climb to two four thousand though??

Every takeoff I have done from a Canadian airport in my career so far has included the departure frequency change instructions in the takeoff clearance. There was once we were told to stay with tower when departing from Quebec due to the proximity of some helicopter traffic. Other than that, it is always "Jetlink 1234, contact departure 127.85 airborne, cleared for takeoff on runway 6" or what not. Then there is the famous "line up and wait" instruction for "position and hold."

Chicaga, you could always tell them: "I'm sorry sir, I don't speak Canadian!"

He wouldn't; he would question a clearance to "two-four-thousand"...(get the picture?)

Ahhhhhh . . . I see (said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw)!!!

FlyChicaga said:
Then there is the famous "line up and wait" instruction for "position and hold."

I got tagged with that one in The Bahamas!!

Tower: "N206XX, Line up and wait"
Me: "N206XX, I am number one in line, ready for takeoff"
Tower: "Yes Sir, Line up and wait, traffic departing"
Me: "Yes, Ma'am, I am already in line, number one now, ready for take-off"
Tower: "N206LB, if you're ready for takeoff, line up and wait, or taxi clear of the holding area"
Me: "N206XX is ready to go, and - Ooohhhhhh . . . line up and wait"

Long, long silence . . . :confused:

:)

Tower: "N206XX, Line up and wait"
Me: "N206XX, I am number one in line, ready for takeoff"
Tower: "Yes Sir, Line up and wait, traffic departing"
Me: "Yes, Ma'am, I am already in line, number one now, ready for take-off"
Tower: "N206LB, if you're ready for takeoff, line up and wait, or taxi clear of the holding area"
Me: "N206XX is ready to go, and - Ooohhhhhh . . . line up and wait"

Long, long silence . . . :confused:

:)

LOL you should have responded "we'll pull it out and hold it"

Not being an advocate of such language as I can see it may be a safety issue, but it is in the AIM to say FOR.

Back