What would you have done?

ATLTRACON(ret)

While waiting to board/and once boarded DL632 UIO-ATL on September 24, my wife and I observed something that, after over 30 years of aviation experience (ATL air traffic controller (30 yrs)-retired), had us & at least one other passenger concerned and thinking about exiting the flight.

The pilot was first to arrive to the gate area, followed by the FA's a few minutes later, so far normal.

Approximately 10-15 minutes later the First Officer arrived and looked quite unsteady and severly unkempt and not sure of where to go (obviously could have been his first time in UIO, but his actions didn't seem to be that).

After boarding and seated (2C/2D), the First Officer came out of the flight deck & stood just outside the flight deck in front of the bathroom door and flight deck door. He had most of his shirt untucked, almost down to the back of his knees, his belt hanging out on both sides and undone and his fly completely open where you could see his briefs underneath. Honestly, he looked like he was inebriated & unsteady on his feet.

The passenger seated in 1C was texting someone about his appearance and that she seemed concerned. He stood there for approximately 4-5 minutes talking with the FA's oblivious to his appearance.

The FO went into the bathroom and then back to the flight deck. The woman seated in 1C attempted to go to the bathroom right after and something had happened in there, after the FO had left, that sent her back to her seat with a disgusted look, and mentioned something to her husband and the FC FA.

As I said, I've worked in aviation my entire working life and have spent hundreds of hours on the flight deck observing crew operations/CRM and this is the first time that I was seriously comsidering removing myself & my wife from the flight. I was reluctant to say anything as I'm sure you've seen in the press how sometimes things can be misconstrued and the passengers are removed from aircraft for voicing concerns. I said nothing as the captain seemed ok with the situation.

In the end, the flight arrived on time, and no worse for the wear, but this was unnerving in the moment.

Would you have said something, or should I have said something and possibly been tagged as a problem passenger?

Thanks

CJ

(On the plus side, he had 4 Union affirmative type lanyards around his pasty unshaven neck/face.)

Take pics and post it on the internet? Sell the pics to the national news? Missed money opportunity.

Plus if it got that far and the CA didn't do something about it they deserved to be famous.

The CA should have pulled that guy aside at the gate and assessed and addressed the situation. And most likely tried to convince the FO to call out. Failing that, pro standards first then get that FO out of there by other means if pro standards can't do it.

If the FA and CA didn’t say anything, maybe he was just having a wardrobe malfunction. He could have overslept and barely made his assignment or something.

I had a flat once on my way to the airport and probably looked like he did when I arrived.

Last edited:
While waiting to board/and once boarded DL632 UIO-ATL on September 24, my wife and I observed something that, after over 30 years of aviation experience (ATL air traffic controller (30 yrs)-retired), had us & at least one other passenger concerned and thinking about exiting the flight.

The pilot was first to arrive to the gate area, followed by the FA's a few minutes later, so far normal.

Approximately 10-15 minutes later the First Officer arrived and looked quite unsteady and severly unkempt and not sure of where to go (obviously could have been his first time in UIO, but his actions didn't seem to be that).

After boarding and seated (2C/2D), the First Officer came out of the flight deck & stood just outside the flight deck in front of the bathroom door and flight deck door. He had most of his shirt untucked, almost down to the back of his knees, his belt hanging out on both sides and undone and his fly completely open where you could see his briefs underneath. Honestly, he looked like he was inebriated & unsteady on his feet.

The passenger seated in 1C was texting someone about his appearance and that she seemed concerned. He stood there for approximately 4-5 minutes talking with the FA's oblivious to his appearance.

The FO went into the bathroom and then back to the flight deck. The woman seated in 1C attempted to go to the bathroom right after and something had happened in there, after the FO had left, that sent her back to her seat with a disgusted look, and mentioned something to her husband and the FC FA.

As I said, I've worked in aviation my entire working life and have spent hundreds of hours on the flight deck observing crew operations/CRM and this is the first time that I was seriously comsidering removing myself & my wife from the flight. I was reluctant to say anything as I'm sure you've seen in the press how sometimes things can be misconstrued and the passengers are removed from aircraft for voicing concerns. I said nothing as the captain seemed ok with the situation.

In the end, the flight arrived on time, and no worse for the wear, but this was unnerving in the moment.

Would you have said something, or should I have said something and possibly been tagged as a problem passenger?

Thanks

CJ

(On the plus side, he had 4 Union affirmative type lanyards around his pasty unshaven neck/face.)

Probably a little sick and didn’t want to be stuck in Quito. Captain probably told him to stick around hotel until last minute.

A bit of Imodium, water, caffeine, and oxygen can do wonders.

I trust the Captain in these matters, I’m sure he was in the loop. Maybe the FO always looks rough and this was also a bad hair day.

What would I have done? Pretty much the same thing you did, I would have trusted the Captain.

Last edited:
Trust the CPT to make the call.

As you said, you spent decades observing flights, presumably, without issue. If the fears were realized, any captain worth his salt, and with an iota of professionalism, would call it out and rectify things (theres a reason most people have a ton of sick time banked).

Other than that, its a good reminder that pilots are people too. We roll outta bed late, forget the razor, or sometimes eat bad Indian food the night before a trip. Doesn't make them any less capable (on average) of landing uneventfully at the destination….and at least theres two up there.#notosinglepilotops ;)

I'll take things that never happened for $1500 Alex. Whoohoo, it's the daily double!
Descent chance its not one of “those” throwaway types, given longevity here and what not. Just a nice take that “perspective” makes the difference. :) benefit of the doubt as some would say

I'm not really sure what one would do with the •s in this day and age.....once that door closes, your are stuck in the tuna can for at least 45 mins to an hour. And even that (best case) would involve disrupting service, and doing the whole FA song and dance. I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to get it out prior to departure.

If the FA and CA didn’t say anything, maybe he was just having a wardrobe malfunction.
I was flying a continuous duty overnight once (last flight of the night out, about 4 hours of hotel time, first flight back to the hub for those lucky enough never to have been subjected to them). A lot of people didn't bother bringing a full overnight bag since you're basically doing a glorified turn.
Captain strolls up to the airplane and his pants pocket catches on the flight deck door knob and rips his pants open on the side. Underwear and leg showing. No spare either. Poor guy speed walked through the airport clutching his flight bag as close to his side as he could.

I'm not really sure what one would do with the •s in this day and age.....once that door closes, your are stuck in the tuna can for at least 45 mins to an hour. And even that (best case) would involve disrupting service, and doing the whole FA song and dance. I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to get it out prior to departure.

Not a big deal with 4 FAs. On the 320s with 3 it was a problem, but you can call them anytime. 4 FAs makes breaks easy.

Obviously I have no idea what happened but I will say Quito is at a pretty good elevation and when I went there with family 2 of them got altitude sickness.

Back