What would you do?

SkyGirl

I had a lovely visit with the Dentist this morning and he shared some unwelcomed news. My wisdom teeth will probably need to be removed. Since I am not in any pain the procedure is not imminent, but something to think about. Unfortunately, the two bottom teeth require some invasive surgery, so it will require a visit to the hospital (yippee!) Obviously my concern is when to do the procedure.

Heres my situation - I am currently working full time (trying to save some moula) and pursuing my instrument rating. I hope to finish sooner rather than later, so I can attend a pilot mill in the new year. Is it a big risk not to have the procedure and go ahead with my plans as they are? Can I continue to avoid the issue and deal with it when theres no other choice?

I am also a bit nervous about the whole experience and my sisters are not helping assuade my fears. Id welcome any comforting stories as it seems like Ive only heard bad ones.

Thanks in advance for any advice and sharing!

I was told two years ago to get my wisdom teeth out. They are still hanging around. But now with work, I need to schedule well in advance to get them out since I'll be a little groggy for a day or two after the procedure. If you have the time, why not?

I'd do it now and get it done with. I had a real bad case of having to have invasive surgery to get my bottom ones out. They had to put me completely under. I think I was down and on Vicadin and something else for a little over a week. I don't remember being in all that much pain. I was feeling goooooooood (couldn't see straight, couldn't talk, and staggered around like I was plastered, but those are minor details
grin.gif
). I was super nervous beforehand as well, as I do not really enjoy dentists and doctors and such. Truthfully, it was good to just get it over with. A pill and a shot, and I was out. When I woke up, there were two wisdom teeth in a cup next to my couch (the other two were destroyed during their removal).

I'm thinking I'm going to have the same thing happen soon. They cause pain on an off/on basis, somedays I'm fine somedays they hurt like crazy..

There's no room for the buggers!

I suggest just getting it done. I had mine pulled a couple years back and surprisingly it was not an unpleasant expierence at all. Just floated around the living room for about 3 days and no pain at all........
smirk.gif

Thanks for the support.

I guess Im just scared...I have a consultation with the Oral Surgeon later in the week, so Ill see how that goes before crossing any bridges. Its reassuring to hear that it might not be "the most painful experience of my life" as my roommate suggested.

After I got all four teeth pulled at once, the next day I was eating pretty much everything.

It hurts but nothing Vicodin cant take care of.

Just make sure ur stitches dont break.

Good luck

[ QUOTE ]

It hurts but nothing Vicodin cant take care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did this become the EIB Network?
smile.gif

Bad joke, sorry! Carry on!

I got all four out (on account of having insurance to do so at the time) and it wasn't so bad. I told them that I was alergic to Codine so that I would get something a notch more heavy duty. The doctor prescribed me percacet (sp?) which pretty much knocked me clean out. I wasn't too into that so I stopped taking it after about 2 days with no big problems.

I had the option of either being awake or put under and I gladly chose door number two.

Dave

I had all four of mine out in my early twenties (general anesthesia & cutting them out required). There is discomfort aftwards (the sockets are sore) but it's not excruciating pain.

The main thing it that food tends to get impacted into the spots where the teeth were and that hurts. It's just a matter of cleaning up after meals with warm water from a syringe or water-pik for a couple of weeks, and eating relatively soft foods.

If you wait too long to get them out, they can displace your other teeth and they you'll have a mouth full of crooked teeth.

[ QUOTE ]
It's just a matter of cleaning up after meals with warm water from a syringe or water-pik for a couple of weeks, and eating relatively soft foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those syringes can squirt water a long ways! I remember after I got mine out and was laying on my couch in a drug-induced euphoria, I would fill it up and squirt my unsuspecting brothers across the room...muhahahhaa.
laugh.gif

I got all four of mine pulled at the same time a few years ago. It didn't hurt a bit. I had no swelling and very little bleeding. I guess I was just really lucky.

I wanted to go out with some friends that same day, but my mom wouldn't let me. I was 17 and still being treated like a kid.
grin.gif
Hey, moms know best.

I seem to always have pretty good luck with surgeries. I was back to work, mowing lawns, six days after I had an appendectomy. I still had the staples in my stomach.

My little sister just had hers done, and she was on Vicatin for a few days, but despite her "floating" around the house, she came out ok. I will have to get mine out soon too, but mine will probably be worse since they are pushing on the roots of my molars trying to get out. Hopefully they don't have to put me under, but if so I've already been through that so I know what to expect.

Don't worry it shouldn't be that bad
cool.gif

Good luck

Its nice to hear some non-horror stories. Unfortunately, my diagnosis was not too rosey. Three of my teeth are completely beneath the bone, one of which is horizontal. I will have a better idea as to the details of the procedure next week after a few more tests, xrays and of course a second opinion. (I thought pilots used a lot of abbreviations - check out my charts and youll see that we have nothing on teeth docs).

Thanks again for your support.

[ QUOTE ]
Its nice to hear some non-horror stories. Unfortunately, my diagnosis was not too rosey. Three of my teeth are completely beneath the bone, one of which is horizontal. I will have a better idea as to the details of the procedure next week after a few more tests, xrays and of course a second opinion. (I thought pilots used a lot of abbreviations - check out my charts and youll see that we have nothing on teeth docs).

Thanks again for your support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, that means they will have to use the hammer and chisel
crazy.gif
. If that doesn't work they might have to consult Larry, Curly, and Moe from beyond the grave about their dynamite blasting techniques
shocked.gif
. Don't want to be there when that goes down. Hopefully they shut the blinds too cause I hear that type of procedure at the dentists office usually draws an audience
laugh.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Nah, that is just how they do it here at Uniontown hospital, Yeeeehaww
grin.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif
. Just kidding hope everything goes well for ya.

Brian

[ QUOTE ]
Its nice to hear some non-horror stories. Unfortunately, my diagnosis was not too rosey. Three of my teeth are completely beneath the bone

[/ QUOTE ]
Skygirl - Hey - this might make you feel better:

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed when I was 18 and, just like you, all four were impacted.

I did not swell, did not hurt and did not have one problem in the least. In fact, that night, I went to a Christmas party.

Hope you have the same experience.

R2F

You guys are really funny!

I asked how the teeth were removed from beneath the bone and the dentist responded "umm, with a chisel...seriously."

I think my hesitations come from the fact that I am not in pain at the moment. Its hard to rationalize inflicting pain on myself as a precaution. Im usually a trooper with such things and have had other dental procedures without drugs and novacaine (I hate that stuff). My fears are purely the result of other people pysching me out and the dentist suggesting that I will need to take a week or more off from work. I am not a good patient and have the attention span of a three-year-old when it comes to spending several days inside.

Take care of it while you have insurance!!

The pain is worse when someone tells you, "Without insurance that will be....$700........oh yeah, and $200 for the anesthetic please."

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are really funny!

I asked how the teeth were removed from beneath the bone and the dentist responded "umm, with a chisel...seriously."

[/ QUOTE ]

TOLD YOU! He just didn't want to scare you away with the dynamite thing, but that might be the only option depending on how hard your head is and whether or not you bend the chisel blade.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Seriously, just kidding

I hope everything goes well for ya.

Brian

I had my Wisdom Teeth pulled at boot camp. They gave us the full POW treatment. You lay down and they put this hood on me so I can't see a thing. It has a hole for the mouth. They numb you up pretty good(nice guys) and then they grabbed the pliers. I swear at one point one of the dentists had his foot pushing against my jaw while pulling on the pliers.

Very memorable experience. I have never had a really bad dentist since. They all seem so gentle in comparison.

The good part was I got Ice Cream(said in best Forrest Gump voice).

Back