What would you do..?

BlueStreak

Just a general question for everyone out there. I just graduated college this weekend with a degree in Aviation Administration. I was furloughed from my job working for an airline a few weeks ago and will be finishing my commercial in a few weeks. My current plans are to do the CFI training as soon as I am done with the commercial and try to find a local CFI job. There are a few prospects for jobs but there is nothing in stone. I am also considering the option of attending a police academy locally and going into law enforcement for a while. I have always loved everything to do with flying and aviation but am also at a huge crossroads right now on what to do. I need to be able to pay the bills.

I have considered the ANG, but have a couple friends who have receieved pilot slots over a year ago and have not been called up for AMS or UPT yet. So I figure even if I receieved a slot, it wouldn't do much for me in the short term.

I know there are a great variety of people from every walk of life on these forums and thought that you might be able to give me your insight and opinions. Thanks for your help!

Heya,

Get that CFI and try to get something hooked up. You know Brian K. right? I assume you do, 'cause I got his phone number from him (g). Try to get him to hook you up in Marshall. I talked with the manager out there a week or two ago and he's planning on expanding here in the coming months, so they'll need instructors. Maybe a job over in Battle Creek? How about up in Allegan?

I'd try out the ANG if you can get a slot. It might not help you right now, but it could down the road.

So I'd say keep pluging along, something will turn up if you look hard enough. Do what you have to do to pay the bills, but if you can find something at an airport anywhere I'd jump on it as quick as you can. I think I'm going to come back to school next year, start flying there and try to get a CFI job there if I can.

Congrats on graduating man, I know you'll get something hooked up.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Depending on what you want to do, there's also the option of the MI State Police Aviation Unit. The guy I took my first lessons with in Three Rivers was the Chief of the Aviation Unit. He seemed to enjoy the job. Granted it's a whole different ballgame than the airlines, but it all depends on your interests.

Just an option.

-BJ

Thanks guys. I just got back from flying and was thinking about how great it is to fly while I was up there. There's just something about lining up on final and seeing if you can grease the perfect landing, or slam it onto the runway on those rusty days
grin.gif
I just can't see myself doing anything else for a living - once aviation is in your blood it will always be there. Can't wait to get back in the air tomorrow!

Happy Flying!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't see myself doing anything else for a living - once aviation is in your blood it will always be there. Can't wait to get back in the air tomorrow!

Happy Flying!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel this way , then you know what you should do ... good luck.

If I were you, I'd start looking for a way to put that degree to good use...yeah no sh*t right?

As far as the civilian stuff goes, maybe find an FBO with like an entry level mangement position open and start working with them. You might get some free flight time out of the deal too. Or you could try someplace like NetJets. I know that they have their own flight school for employee's. Get in as a manager get the CFI done with them and then apply for a positions. Again might be another place where you get some free flight time and with their fleet you might actually be able to get some time in the cockpit of a small jet (that would so rock). You could also try an A/C manufacturer. They might have a spot for you...I'm sure the employee discount on a new Cessna is nice.

If your really interested in the military route, why just limit yourself to ANG? The Air Force, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard have air craft too, and I think I heard someone mention once that the Army has a limited number of fixed wing A/C. Of course you could also go for a helo slot (BTW, that would be my dream job helo pilot for either the Army or Coast Guard, but not gonna happen for me).

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

Later.

Naunga

Back