What would you do? college and career help.

lifesbeachy

So I am wondering from you guys what you would consider to be the best route in my shoes.
I'm 26, and I am jumping back into aviation. I do not yet have my private (due to color vision issues that are taken care of for now, as well as a few other things). I have not finished my degree yet, but I do have nothing but an aviation background since birth. I am a veteran, and I am eligible for 60% of the Post 911 GI bill.

Would you go back to college, that has a good aviation program, that also happens to be a mile from your house, and use the GI bill to pay 60% of all of that? Despite the fact that I will be near 30 years old when I graduate, will this matter?

Would you go to school for something else (my other passion is entrepreneurship and psychology), and just work on your ratings on the side even though now your GI bill would not help to pay for your ratings?

My thought is to attend my local state college, get through their pro pilot program, at the same time I would join their ROTC program and rejoin the Guard so that my tuition and loans are taken care of (would be nice to graduate debt free, or mostly so), and maybe take some extra entrepreneurship related courses while there.

The thing I wonder about that is, I will be turning 30 when I graduate, is this a bit deal haha? I feel like it is, I feel behind the curve here so the impatient side of me says borrow the money, get all your ratings done now, instruct while in college to build time, and get a non-aviation degree.

Would love to hear some words of wisdom, thoughts, ideas, advice!
P.S.-Military aviation is not really an option because of my color vision problem, I tried that already with WOFT in the Army.

Thanks!

Get your degree in another field. It's nice to have Plan B if the economy goes south, you get furloughed, or of there is a nasty merger/closure.

As for the certs/ratings knock them out at a mom and pop FBO if you can.

less debt the better, Most airlines won't care what your degree is in, just that you have said degree.

Crunch the numbers and see what ends up being the most cost effective for you, if its the aviation degree take some extra electives and see what you think.

And dont worry about your age, When I went to flight school there were several guys in the 40's just starting out their aviation careers. If you get to an airline by 35 you still have 30 years of work ahead of ya!

There is no wrong route to take. All paths have pros and cons. The good news is you see the value in a 4 year degree. The rest is up to you.

I chose to go to school full time after I got my private ticket and associates degree. My major currently is small business management and entrepreneurship. I cannot wait to get back to the airport and finish my ratings, as I will be 27 at that point.

For a long time I debated on getting a loan, quickly getting all my ratings, then instructing while finishing college. There is an individual from the same flight school I use who chose said route. I am a bit jealous at times, but that was the path that was right for them, not me.

Every day I miss flying, but I know I am doing what needs to be done, and am making progress.

Loans suck, I will have more flexibility and the ability to accept more opportunities with less of them when it comes time to fly for a living. Not to mention supporting a family.

As far as I know getting into flying for a living at 30 is not "too old."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Just get it done.
2) Being an entrepreneur can be done with library books, seminars and networking.
3) From my (excruciating) experience*, it's best to "whole-ass one thing" as Ron Swanson would say.

*Credability: I was 25, had nothing but an aviation background "since birth." CFI, 1,000 hours and ditched pro-flying for the last 5 years to pursue a better ROI on my debt.
Now i have the skills and experience to earn regional captain pay outside of aviation. But damn I wish I was flying airplanes consistently this whole time.

Do that which is most cost effective....I didn't start flying until I was 26. It took 5 years to go from zero hours to ATP, but I did it debt free and I am extremely happy I did. (already had a degree in an unrelated field.) Frequently, I wish that I had a higher seniority number, but overall, financially, the mom and pop FBO route worked for me. (But it had its challenges.)

You have the GI bill to help you achieve both flying and educational goals, use it if you can. Keep your debt as minimal as possible. That said, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and you have to do what works for you, your life, and your goals (both immediate and long term.) A wise man on JC once said, "when facing any big decision, ask yourself 3 questions: What do I want to do? What do think I should do? What consequences can I live with?"

FWIW, In my class of 10 new hires at a regional airline, I was right in the middle of the pack age-wise at 31....you have lots of time! Have fun, learn lots.

Last edited:
In my opinion research community colleges that have Flight Programs. That way you get your associates degree and all flight ratings in around 2 years you will be 28. Then start instructing or doing commercial work while finishing your degree in psychology online or another school. This is the best option and the one I would take if I were your position good luck.

In my opinion research community colleges that have Flight Programs. That way you get your associates degree and all flight ratings in around 2 years you will be 28. Then start instructing or doing commercial work while finishing your degree in psychology online or another school. This is the best option and the one I would take if I were your position good luck.
This.

My advice is to do whatever leaves you in the best shape financially while allowing you to get your ratings along with a 4 year degree. The JC commonwealth will advise you to get a degree in a non aviation field and do your ratings part 61, but that may not make sense in your case since you have a GI bill.

I went to a community college with a very small 141 program which allowed the opportunity for scholarships that resulted in discounted flight training. I then transferred to ERAU worldwide and had a nice deal where I only had to pay the active duty military rate to attend for my bachelor's degree. Also the program I transferred into gave a generous amount of credit for airmen ratings held, knocking several credit hours off the program and saving me tuition money. The same could not be said if I would have transferred into a state school.

You just have to look at your particular situation and do what makes sense. In the end a degree is just simply a degree. Much like the majors use it to check off a box, there are other industries that do exactly the same. A degree of any sort proves motivation and the ability to have discipline.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I definately want to avoid as much debt as possible. I really don't want to come out of this more than $15-20k in debt, and that's on the high side.
If it wasn't for my gi bill I honestly wouldn't major in aviation as I do have other interests as well (meaning that I would have a backup plan and pay as I go at an FBO), but I do love flying. It just isn't feasible for me to get all of my ratings without the gi bill, and truthfully I am unwilling to go into massive debt for a career with a 6 month contract (hinging on a medical).

I do like the community college idea, though I don't live near one with an aviation program. What would you guys say to a double major? I actually would potentially be interested in going on to do postgraduate work in psychology as well and possibly using that in an entrepreneurial way later down the road. I'm not sure what sort of requirements are needed for this, but I do know that I have the work ethic to do well. How realistic of an idea would this be? Or maybe even change my major after getting my ratings? I know I would end up extending my time in school, but if I'm going to be instructing anyway....why not?

Would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks again!

One option would be to get your ratings done and build your time as quickly as possible. Then while at your first aviation job start working on your degree online.

This would be the cheapest route and makes sense if being a pilot is what you expect your primary employment to be.

Look into aerial survey as well after you get your commercial rating. Companies that contract through pictometry pay well and only require a single engine commercial to be hired. Once there you can use the money you make to finance your multi engine commercial and then move to one of the companies multi engine birds to build time. I've seen this done by multiple people.

Last edited:
I would recommend going back to college and getting a Bachelor's Degree, not necessarily in Aviation, but at least make it your minor. I always enjoyed going to my aviation classes! In addition, if you go through a college/university aviation program and get your flight instructor rating they will very likely hire you and give you more students than you can shake a stick at. You'll have a job where you can build hours until other opportunities arise. A couple of my buddies did this (flight instructed for 2 years and now are flying for Express Jet and Chatauqua). This is all based on my experience at Eastern Kentucky University's aviation program; I would assume other college aviation programs are similar. It would be horrible to look back on your years and think, " I wish I would've spent my life doing what I love".

Dude, take the free money. Make contacts. What they don't tell you in college that they probably should is that most degrees are worthless without proper networking anyway.

... What they don't tell you in college that they probably should is that most degrees are worthless without proper networking anyway.

My one year experiment at ERAU is where I met one of my greatest connections. This friend is directly responsible for doubling my income potential, as well as immense personal growth. That connection has made the horrid expenses of that year worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to double major, consider majoring in Aviation Maintenance as well. It doesn't depend on having a medical but its still aviation related. It has opened up several doors for me having an A&P. If you have the GI bill and live right next door, I would definitely go to the aviation program at your local university. (Which one btw?) Number 1 thing is avoid as much debt as possible. Having no debt will make regional pay that much more liveable.

Companies that contract through pictometry pay well and only require a single engine commercial to be hired. Once there you can use the money you make to finance your multi engine commercial and then move to one of the companies multi engine birds to build time. I've seen this done by multiple people.

This is exactly what I did to build time. I ran out of money to get my CFI and they got me from ~230 hours to 1400TT with 500 multi. I then was hired at the regionals with never having to get my CFI. (I still want to get though. Eventually when I'm at a major, I probably will take the time to get it.)

One of the reasons LAI hired me was because of my A&P and I could save them a ton of money performing Mx for them on the road. I then worked for them as a mechanic over the summer and flew the twin the next season saving them even more money. It would be possible to get your Multi-Commercial during the summer there.

I mean... To be honest... It's all just work and a job after a while no matter if your a pilot or own your own business or crunch numbers in an office somewhere. I've done all three. I'd say take the path that will make you the most money the quickest in life and allow you the opportunity to pursue your hobbies (the things that should never be "work") and provide for a comfortable, safe future for your family. If you think that aviation is the means to that end then I say go for it... But I would advise you to research carefully before jumping head first into the deep end with this profession. It is unpredictable and unforgiving.

What would you guys say to a double major? I actually would potentially be interested in going on to do postgraduate work in psychology as well......

You would need at least a PhD in psychology to have any chance of understanding some of the dingle- berries in this profession. I think actually learning about and understanding pilot psychosis and mental illness would be scarier than just thinking to yourself: "Man, that guy is a real nut job."

Back