What would happen if an aircraft mechanic was a fault for causing a fatal plane crash?

ktsai91

If the plane crashed and the NTSB finds out that the plane crash occurred because of say a repair or annual inspection was done improperly, or somehow that the aircraft mechanic was at fault, would the mechanic be sued (or even criminally charged) by someone, even if he accidentally caused the fatal plane crash?

If the plane crashed and the NTSB finds out that the plane crash occurred because of say a repair or annual inspection was done improperly, or somehow that the aircraft mechanic was at fault, would the mechanic be sued (or even criminally charged) by someone, even if he accidentally caused the fatal plane crash?

LOL, what do you think?

I would say yeah, mechanics can be sued. But I thought I also heard that the company gets sued, not the individual mechanics.

Could definitely be sued, hell, they might be sued even if the pilot took off into zero zero without an instrument rating.

Sent from 1865 by telegraph....

I remember there was a Japan Air crash that killed over 500 due to a faulty repair. Several suicides followed to apologize for the mistake.

I would say yeah, mechanics can be sued. But I thought I also heard that the company gets sued, not the individual mechanics.
The license that signs off the work gets in trouble. If it was done under a repair station certificate, the mechanics are somewhat protected by the business's liability insurance. An A&P on their own would take the heat both financially and administratively. Deerhorn Aviation at KMAF doesn't have a repair station certificate except for certain avionics and maybe the body shop. All other work is performed under an A&P's license.

There can be both civil and criminal proceedings. It would be wise to always keep an umbrella liability policy.

Could definitely be sued, hell, they might be sued even if the pilot took off into zero zero without an instrument rating.

Yup. Instructor of mine in A&P school was sued (back when he was working as an A&P) after a pilot either ran out of gas or carb iced and landed off airport.

The license that signs off the work gets in trouble. If it was done under a repair station certificate, the mechanics are somewhat protected by the business's liability insurance. An A&P on their own would take the heat both financially and administratively. Deerhorn Aviation at KMAF doesn't have a repair station certificate except for certain avionics and maybe the body shop. All other work is performed under an A&P's license.

There can be both civil and criminal proceedings. It would be wise to always keep an umbrella liability policy.

In addition to the above, it would also be wise to set your standards high and run a professional shop. It'll be more expensive than being a hack, but you'll be able to sleep better ;)

Yup. Instructor of mine in A&P school was sued (back when he was working as an A&P) after a pilot either ran out of gas or carb iced and landed off airport.

Oh for heaven's sake, that is just utterly ridiculous how anyone and anything can be sued for an other's mistake even when they're clearly not at fault.

Some hit home more than others... Faulty adjustments of the turnbuckles coupled with an overweight aft CG plane...

Yep, it was because the plane was flown into icing by the pilot. The passengers who survived tried suing every company/person who had any shred of evidence of being involved with the airplane in any way shape or form. Our teacher got caught in the cross hairs, and the sleezy lawyers watched him at work like a hawk, and they questioned how he worked on the spark plugs trying to blame a "rough running engine" on faulty spark plug inspection/cleaning/installation. Fortunately they were not successful in their pursuit of suing him as an individual A&P.

I love the sound of piston aircraft and the video of a turboprop. The cognitive dissonance made both my ears AND eyes bleed.
And the actor pilots just sat there like nothing was wrong UNTIL it was up at like 50*. Nope, don't notice anything here(as it pitches through 30*)..... now at 50*, wait wtf how did this happen? LOL!

Back