What to Expect

Wheeler0814

My boyfriend is currently attending GA Tech. He has been in college for two years and has recently changed his major to Aerospace Engineering in order to become a pilot. We do not really know what the next step is. Everyone has said that joining ROTC is very beneficial (and GA Tech offers a two year program). He believes he wants to go into the Air Force (air lift pilot) rather than Civilian Training because we have heard you get more flight experience in the military. Also, people have said that it is easier to get a job at the major airlines earlier if you take the military route. I support him totally; however, we both have concerns about going into the Air Force (deployment, wars, ect.). Also, if he graduates from GA Tech and goes into the Airforce would be pretty much be guaranteed a good job? If anyone could give us some general information would be most appreciative.

He is not just joining the Air Force for flight time. I didn't mean to come across that way. He is very excited about getting to serve his country; however, we just want to make sure he will not be gone for years at a time. But please do not think he would just join for the flight time.

[ QUOTE ]
He is not just joining the Air Force for flight time. I didn't mean to come across that way. He is very excited about getting to serve his country; however, we just want to make sure he will not be gone for years at a time. But please do not think he would just join for the flight time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plan on his being gone for anywhere from 6 months or more up to 200 days per year. Espcially for airlift guys these days. Since airlift is such a critical asset, and there's never enough of them aircraft-wise, those guys get tasked a heck of a lot. The 200 day figure is from a C-17 pilot I talked to on the way over to this craphole country I'm sitting in now and for the past 4 months. 200 days was what he personally was on at that moment, and that was with 2 months left in the year back then.

As far as the war thing, what do you want to know? I mean, you volunteer for the military, you can get exposed to danger of war at any time. What's your question? Is it safe/safer to be airlift? Not necesarily. If it's your time to go, then it's your time to go; could happen in a car accident at home too.

BL is, with the deployment schedule of today, finding out what the two of you'd be getting into with that lifestyle BEFORE you do it is a smart move. You gotta be able to be away from each other for long periods of time. It's not easy on family's nor marriages. Personally know a number of people divorced/in the process simply because they grow apart with the whole situation. Not everybody, mind you, but it is there.

Thank you for the information. I thougt that if he was an airlift pilot he would not be gone as much as others. Guess I was wrong!

Also when you get your commissioning from ROTC, you really have no idea what you will be flying, a lot of that will depend on performance at undergraduate pilot training. But if he wants to to pursue a flight slot, definately join ROTC. I wish I would've found that out before it was too late. (already graduated)

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the information. I thougt that if he was an airlift pilot he would not be gone as much as others. Guess I was wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're not wrong. Truth be told, everyone from all the "communities" of airlift/bomber/helo/fighter is tasked to the max these days, to varying degrees, including the Guard and Reserves. We're just trying to to a lot worldwide with limited resources.

Back