What to expect day 1?

Joeyd9590

I'm counting down the days until October 13th. It can't come any sooner!! What should expect the first day im there? Is it a busy day with paper work and things like that or will i start my training that day?

Yes, I got my private back in April. I have about 90 hours right now and I am about half way done with my instrument, but I stopped becuase I would have to do it all over at ATP anyway. I am taking my IFR and CFII written within the next 2 weeks and possibly the F.O.I written.

Expect to take a written quiz, basic private pilot stuff. Expect to be asked everything out of the supplement, and then go fly maneuvers in the sim.

I am going to Richmond. My instructor went to Trenton last year and did the self paced program, but him and I have been doing IFR ground and ground on the seminole everyday for 2 hours so I have the supplement memorized and everything already so I hope that gives me an advantage over some people.

The first half of the first day consisted of filling out paperwork.

When I started, FTY was understaffed so I sat in a classroom with another new guy for the next three days and studied the Seminole supplement.

The pace picked up from there.

You live in Bristol? You're like 10 miles away from me.

Good luck in Richmond!

yea i live in bristol and i work at robertson in plainville. I got a job there as a CFI if i want it when i come back but i think im going to try to instruct at Richmond when im done.
Thanks man!

Day one isn't what you should be worring about, it's check ride day. That could come on day four through day nine. Memorize the gear down before landing check list and the engine failure below 3000 check list. Set up for clean and dirty configuration, and the associated manuvers required for the private multi check ride. That Seminole supplement is gold but you must stick to it to the letter or you'll have problems down the line. Know by heart all that is contained within the supplement and you'll have no trouble with your check ride(s).
To make life easier down the road at ATP get ALL of your writtens done before you start. Durring the instrument portion you are streched just learning to fly the airplane and studing for the oral, studing for and taking the written is one step you can do with out at that point. Once through the instrument phase the cross country flying takes up the whole day leaving you with no study time. What will end up happening is that you'll have a couple of days in between the X/C and the commercial phase to get your commercial written and instructor writtens done. So no matter how cramped for time you think you are now it is nothing compared to life after October 13th.
I saw people get sent home for not having writtens done, some struggle and get stressed out failing a couple of times before finaly passing. I was lucky and was able to knock out all the writtens before I got there. I might not have faired as well otherwise...
Oh yeah, the most important thing on day one? Make friends! The people are the best part about ATP.

Gumps said it quite well.

Make sure you know the first 18 pages of the Seminole Supplement, and go over the questions in the very back. The ME checkride oral exam is all straight from there. That checkride comes in 8-9 days, so spend that week using your 8 flight hours and 8 sim hours wisely, getting your manuevers down.

You'll meet some very cool people and have a blast. It's a grind, though... keep your eyes on the prize and don't be shy about leaning on your resources (especially your classmates) for support. And keep checking in here for help if you need it.

Cheers

Thanks for all the reply's guys! I really appreciate it!! I have the supplement memorized and I got all of the questions in the back down! I am really comfident that I will get my check ride done farely soon becuase I have flown a twin before, a turbo seneca 5. Not for very long but I made a couple landings in it so. I also have about half of my instrument done, I have done a ton of holding patterns and approaches, and have about 5 hours actual. I also fly out an airport right outside of a class charlie so I have good radio skills so that won't be a problem for me. I will be in here alot while i'm there keeping everyone informed about my progress. What is the average age of the people ill be around. I just turned 18 like 2 weeks ago. I work with people alot older than me and tend to get along with people older than me because I dont act my age, but im just curious.

What is the average age of the people ill be around. I just turned 18 like 2 weeks ago.

Most guys were in the 21-25 range. I was 29 and on the high side of the curve. There was one guy who was in early 30's.

Being eighteen might be more difficult in some ways because it limits after-flying fun.

And I only saw two girls in the program during my 94 days.

Mostly paperwork during the day. At night though, that's when the hazing starts. I can't talk to much about it because the code of silence but it's a game of twister you'll never forget.

Mostly paperwork during the day. At night though, that's when the hazing starts. I can't talk to much about it because the code of silence but it's a game of twister you'll never forget.

Could this be the very famous NAKED twister? Hmmmmm..

Richmond is a great location. Lots of good people there. It's a wonderful airport and area to learn around.

Learn those checklists. If you can't recite the checklists from memory like you can say your ABC's you need to keep working on it. Also memorize the steps for each maneuver. Have fun.

Back