What the hell am I doing here???

When I got hired to fly a Jetstream 31 for a commuter in 1996 I had the bare minimums the airline required. 1600 TT, a little over 500 ME, and a little bit of 135.

Hope you're not getting burned out already. If this profession were easy, everyone would do it!

Tulsa is a good town. Keep your eye on Omni. A lot of people seem to pass through there on their way to better Part 91 corporate jobs. Is Spartan hiring instructors? Might be a good way to build time and experience.

Watch what you say about wanting to go the airlines on here, you will probably get flamed by just about everyone that already has the job.

"Those who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." -Winston Churchill.

Kind of depends on whether or not it's:

"I got my CFI in October and have almost 400 hours and i'm SOOO SICK of instructing. Why won't the regionals call? I love RJs!"

or

"I've been instructing for about 2 years and I have a little over 1200 hrs TT. I've considered applying to fly freight single-pilot, but i'm concerned about the safety and have been considering a regional as an alternative. Do you think my lack of experience would make the transition challenging?"

One deserves to be knocked down a few pegs. Can you guess which one?

Kind of depends on whether or not it's:

"I got my CFI in October and have almost 400 hours and i'm SOOO SICK of instructing. Why won't the regionals call? I love RJs!"

or

"I've been instructing for about 2 years and I have a little over 1200 hrs TT. I've considered applying to fly freight single-pilot, but i'm concerned about the safety and have been considering a regional as an alternative. Do you think my lack of experience would make the transition challenging?"

One deserves to be knocked down a few pegs. Can you guess which one?

:yeahthat: I think most peeps on these boards are not going to flame someone for simply wanting to move up in the aviation world, or for being frustrated if they feel they are stuck and spinning their wheels. BUT if you approach it with the aforementioned/demonstrated attitude then you might get a bit charred.

I pretty much knew what the answers were going to be. I think I just needed to vent for a moment.

Pressures are equal now!

I was just a little upset that I did not have an airplane to fly and was not getting to use the ratings I had paid for.

In answer to someone elses comment...The regionals were doing fine when I went to school and I knew a few people who got hired with pretty low times. That being said I do not expect a handout! I just want to use the ratings worked damn hard to earn.

As far as the old "teach and learn more" saying goes, I know... I am learning more now than I did at ATP. Not because of lack of instruction, but because it is difficult to say the least to absorb all the information out there on Instrument approaches, regulations, etc. I AM learning a whole hell of alot and now that our school airplane is running again things should be just fine.

So, I will keep my head down, dig my trench a little deeper, and conserve some ammo for this phase of the battle! (sorry, marine grunt having a flashback!)

I know I need to hang in there...and I will! "N7806G, hold as published at the BVO VOR, EFC....."

All I can do is echo everyone else's "hang in there" sentiment. I know it's difficult when you want something so bad, when you've changed your career, dumped a bunch of money into pursuing this new life, and friends and family keep asking, "so are you flying jets yet?" (actually, my friends and family still ask, "so.... have you soloed yet? When do they let you fly by yourself?")

Sigh.

When I was frustrated at not being able to take the next step, my mom told me to simply enjoy the ride. It took 3 years of instructing and 2 years of flying freight before I made it to the right seat at CHQ, and the road is still so long ahead. I'm still longing for the next step, but I've enjoyed every minute of the other steps along the way.

I hope that didn't sound too "Fortune cookie!"

:banghead:
Got any connections to Tulsa i could bribe away/ sell myself for??
:confused:

Can you get in at Spartan? A couple of pilots at an airline I worked at started there. One came in with 2000 turbine PIC just in Spartan's King Air. and he went straight into the left seat (albeit the most junior captain forever and ever).

Withou bashing Spartan too much, an because I went to a school that gets its share of licks, I do not think I would like top work there. The management has changed seats, suits, and heads so many times I think the employees say "what next?"

I am going to hang in there!! Still holding...

Back