What possible things at your PEPC could fail you.....

Hockey9

I read on here that you are there to pass, and they hope you do.

That being said...what kind of things actually could fail you while at your PEPC? security check? credit check? failed physical for whatver reason? bad eyesight? bad hearing?

anyone here not passed their PEPC or heard of anyone because of any reasons at all?

That being said...what kind of things actually could fail you while at your PEPC? security check? credit check? failed physical for whatver reason? bad eyesight? bad hearing?

anyone here not passed their PEPC or heard of anyone because of any reasons at all?

Only things I've heard of is not passing the medical because of vision. The other thing is those who lie on their SF86 form. Someone told me here that a student got all the way through the academy before it was found out that he lied on the SF86. He was then let go.

Only things I've heard of is not passing the medical because of vision. The other thing is those who lie on their SF86 form. Someone told me here that a student got all the way through the academy before it was found out that he lied on the SF86. He was then let go.

I wonder what constitutes "lying". I hope it isn't being a month or so off on my employment history, because I was depending on the best of my memory for some of that.

I hear ya, my "estimated" option in the drop down menu was USED.....

OH GREAT!... "estimated" option?... I missed that completely. I can no doubt be expecting a call from the security office. Maybe they'll let me explain before they kill my dreams.

OH GREAT!... "estimated" option?... I missed that completely. I can no doubt be expecting a call from the security office. Maybe they'll let me explain before they kill my dreams.

Yeah, where was this button? I started work at age 15 (now 25) and they wanna know ALL OF IT!? I know my Wal-Mart and Pizza Hut days in high school were a COMPLETE estimate. Scary.

"Mr. Congdon, your employment records for some pizza joint nine years ago are skewed by a week. Your employment with the FAA is terminated, and charges are pending." :(

for each start and end date there were three drop down boxes

first i think was month,
then year...

Then the third could be changed to blank / estimated / or present

They won't destroy your dreams for being off by a little bit of time. I have completed Two SF-86's and an SF-85. They only go back seven years anyway. So that time you were arrested when you were 16 for smoking pot is under the bridge and in the past. Unless you were charged as an adult and are 23 years old. They are scanning (not scrutinizing) your life.

Yeah, where was this button? I started work at age 15 (now 25) and they wanna know ALL OF IT!? I know my Wal-Mart and Pizza Hut days in high school were a COMPLETE estimate. Scary.

"Mr. Congdon, your employment records for some pizza joint nine years ago are skewed by a week. Your employment with the FAA is terminated, and charges are pending." :(

I have filled out the paperwork and gone through 1 Secret and 2 Top Secret security investigations through the same OPM office and I can assure you that any small date mistakes will not be a problem. They are mainly looking for red flags and omissions. It is acutal people accomplishing the investigation and not a computer, so there is a human/personal touch to all of these.

AFTO summed it up nicely with "They are scanning (not scrutinizing) your life"

Unles you start hearing the Terms "Yankee White" or "Crypto", or "Cosmo" I think your estimation of dates will be ok...... and like other people have said, for us, they only go back 7 years.....

Besides, their main goal is to make sure that for the Terminal guys, we don't have some desire or incentive to go purposely crashing airplanes. And for the Enroute guy they want to make sure that we can keep secret that UFO's are really some new military toy instead of little green men..... ;) Ohh yeah and not advertise a "secret mission" to other Aircraft.... "may I have you attention please, if you look out your left hand side you will catch a glimpse of 2 B-2's refueling in flight and on their way over to bomb people......":banghead:

Ok I thought my worrying would die once the PEPC was done, but something has come to my attention since yesterday. Tell me what you think about this:

I have worked for my brother off and on since I was a teenager. He had me fill out an application, W-4, and everything that goes along with becoming the employee of a company. I put it down as part of my work history, only to find out today that he never filed that paperwork, has never matched my social security, and never reported any of my income to the federal government. This scares me to death, because the security office will have no way of telling that I actually worked for him. Someone tell me this is not as big a deal as I think it is, because in my mind this destroys my chances of getting an FOL.

I imagine you'll get a phone call, from a heavily masked voice.. asking what you did last summer... no no wait.. Actually you'll probably get a phone call asking for clairifcation, at which point they probably will contact him. They're not gunning for you.. yet.

Ok I thought my worrying would die once the PEPC was done, but something has come to my attention since yesterday. Tell me what you think about this:

I have worked for my brother off and on since I was a teenager. He had me fill out an application, W-4, and everything that goes along with becoming the employee of a company. I put it down as part of my work history, only to find out today that he never filed that paperwork, has never matched my social security, and never reported any of my income to the federal government. This scares me to death, because the security office will have no way of telling that I actually worked for him. Someone tell me this is not as big a deal as I think it is, because in my mind this destroys my chances of getting an FOL.

How much income are you talking about?

Basically I see two options
1) Ignore it and hope they don't ask, if they do play dumb and tell them you didn't know this and will resolve it ASAP.

2) Come clean and report and/or pay the income to the IRS, then give a copy of the forms and an explanation to the FAA secuirty office.
I highly doubt this will come up, but I would play it safe and try to fix it with the IRS.

How much income are you talking about?

Basically I see two options
1) Ignore it and hope they don't ask, if they do play dumb and tell them you didn't know this and will resolve it ASAP.

2) Come clean and report and/or pay the income to the IRS, then give a copy of the forms and an explanation to the FAA secuirty office.
I highly doubt this will come up, but I would play it safe and try to fix it with the IRS.

Wow, I don't even know how much money it is. I've worked for him a good bit just about every year since 1998. I pretty much unloaded on him and said if they call he has to tell them the truth about all this, and tell them that I didn't know I was more or less contracted. He doesn't think it will get to that point. If they call me I'll just have to say I wish I'd never put it down, and it has turned into a confusing mess that I want to make right... Even if it means changing those working periods to unemployment periods on the sf86.

Probably you wouldn't want to have a talking stain on your shirt. Try to bring some Tide to go, you may have to check it though, it might be over 3 oz.

I wonder what constitutes "lying". I hope it isn't being a month or so off on my employment history, because I was depending on the best of my memory for some of that.

It was not minor stuff like date estimates, or salary variances. It was something about him putting down qualifications for something that he did not hold. If I remember correctly, he recorded that he held instrument ratings that he never received.

if you read the directions, they only say to go back seven (7) years for employment and housing....the only thing you go back 10 years for was if you were charged with anything

It was not minor stuff like date estimates, or salary variances. It was something about him putting down qualifications for something that he did not hold. If I remember correctly, he recorded that he held instrument ratings that he never received.

But that would have been on the app, not the SF, right?
I dont remember any ratings being asked about during the background check..... Hope I didnt miss a page......

Must have vision correctable to 20/20 if not I believe you fail!! not sure!!
you will be under special review if:
Blood Pressure above 140/90
Hearing loss greater than 15db at any frequency

Back