What opportunities are there in the ATL and surrounding area?

undertheradar

I would really like to get to ATL or close to it. Obviously Delta is the golden egg but what other opportunities are there in dispatching? I am aware of ADI in Kennesaw and someone mentioned Home Depot, but I don't know much about that. Thanks for any input!

There are a few corporate jobs if you are lucky enough. I know Home Depot and Coca-Cola have hangars at Fulton County Airport and Chick-fil-A has theirs at Falcon Field.

ExpressJet/ASA is located in the ATL area, however they have been downsizing for quite some time, I have heard...but when they hire, they often hire people without experience. I have never worked corporate dispatch, but my understanding is that it's more of a crew scheduling type of job, depending upon the company - not something where you're doing a lot of flight planning or exercising operational control. If your "dream job" is to work for Delta as a dispatcher, they seem to be doing mostly internal hiring in recent years, so your best bet for that would probably be to try and get an entry-level job with Delta and work your way up. They also seem to like to hire graduates of their internal dispatch school, so if you don't have your license yet, you could wait and try and go to school there after you're a DL employee. Again, this is all presuming that DL is your ultimate goal. If your ultimate goal is just a generic major or large cargo carrier, then I'd advise getting your license and working at a regional or supplemental to get practical dispatching experience. Finally, remember that while this is a good job and career, getting to choose where you live is not one of its perks, generally speaking - you usually have to move to where the job is, and not just look locally for jobs. Some people do get lucky though. Good luck with your dispatch career!

Actually I have 10+ yr experience including international however getting in at a position at DL and hoping for dispatching in the future is not really an option. As much as DL would be ideal, I don't think it's realistic. I have a good job now, but am looking at moving into the GA area for personal reasons. Thanks again for input!

Actually I have 10+ yr experience including international however getting in at a position at DL and hoping for dispatching in the future is not really an option. As much as DL would be ideal, I don't think it's realistic. I have a good job now, but am looking at moving into the GA area for personal reasons. Thanks again for input!

You're welcome, sorry for thinking you were newly licensed! I wouldn't give up on DL completely, they did just hire some people externally - so keep an eye out, put your name in next time they advertise, and you might just get an invite to test. In the meantime, good luck with finding something local to ATL. You might also see if DL is hiring people for airport operations/ramp control/etc. that might suit your background (and then you'd be an internal for the next round of dispatch hiring.)

+1 for internal hiring at Delta, I just started in an unrelated position and am headed to dispatch school in October, hoping for some dispatch openings in the early new year!

+1 for internal hiring at Delta, I just started in an unrelated position and am headed to dispatch school in October, hoping for some dispatch openings in the early new year!
I little bird told me there would be Dx openings sometime this fall, internal only. Not sure exactly what the time frame or scope of hiring is, but I heard mostly EV guys with some in-house mainline sprinkled in. Hopefully know more details soon

I little bird told me there would be Dx openings sometime this fall, internal only. Not sure exactly what the time frame or scope of hiring is, but I heard mostly EV guys with some in-house mainline sprinkled in. Hopefully know more details soon
I was told that the fall class would be reserved for people in a pool from the last go around. I wonder if they are going to open it up internally as well.

I was told that the fall class would be reserved for people in a pool from the last go around. I wonder if they are going to open it up internally as well.
I heard that as well, but then I heard internal/EV from a pretty reliable source. Who knows at this point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Ok, so EDV not XJT?
I guess that would make sense to mix DL internals with EDV since they are wholly owned, I didn’t think they would offer XJT employment along with/as internals

Yeah my fault, i meant EDV. Not sure how i missed that
Ok, so EDV not XJT?
I guess that would make sense to mix DL internals with EDV since they are wholly owned, I didn’t think they would offer XJT employment along with/as internals

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

That would be interesting if they start having a flow from EDV to DAL for dispatchers. I know some good people up there I’m definitely rooting for.

Back