What next?

FLY_BOY

I am 21 and just graduated college with a B.S. in Aviation Technology and an A.A. in Spanish and I have 1300+ total time. I have always wanted to join the military and now I'm ready to do something about it. I'm trying to do research but I'm not sure where to get started. Which branch would be best? Can I complete OCS and then join as a pilot since I have hours and my licenses? What do you recommend? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated because I'm starting from scratch. Thanks in advance :)

Can I complete OCS and then join as a pilot since I have hours and my licenses?

Negative....you can get selected as a student pilot, complete OCS, and then attend military flight training, but no short cuts. In short, nobody in the military cares about your civilian time. We have all watched 1000+ hr regional dudes attrite from mil flight training in epic fail style, and have seen all kinds of in between. I personally had some civvie time coming in (commercial, not ATP or anything), but it is just a completely different mentality and a totally different kind of flying. Check the "military aviation" section of the forum and I'm sure you will find many more answers there. I'm biased in saying this, but of course Fly Navy!

If you have any questions about Navy OCS, PM me. I summered in Newport last year and can share the experience that is OCS, or which was at least OCS when I went through.

Try these two forums but I caution you, especially with airwarriors, use the search funtion first!! You will get your e-nuts stomped otherwise. There is little patience for not attempting your own research before asking a question that has been asked over and over and over.

www.baseops.net for the Air Force and www.airwarriors.com for the Navy/MC/CG

Remember the Air Force fighter pilot's prayer: "Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion and the balls of an Army helicopter pilot."

However, I would also add, don't fail to at least check out the Coast Guard. They are as much combat capable as any other service, and between combat operations you have a critical real world mission to support. I do not have a clue what their current requirements are, but at least spend some time talking with the Coast Guard to learn about their options.

Remember the Air Force fighter pilot's prayer: "Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion and the balls of an Army helicopter pilot."

However, I would also add, don't fail to at least check out the Coast Guard. They are as much combat capable as any other service, and between combat operations you have a critical real world mission to support. I do not have a clue what their current requirements are, but at least spend some time talking with the Coast Guard to learn about their options.

From what I understand the coastie route is kind of tricky. Don't take my word for it, but I'm 99% sure you need a few years of coastie time before you can apply for a pilot slot.

Several of us on the board are in the Air Force UPT pipeline now...I'm going to start another thread...

From what I understand the coastie route is kind of tricky. Don't take my word for it, but I'm 99% sure you need a few years of coastie time before you can apply for a pilot slot.

Several of us on the board are in the Air Force UPT pipeline now...I'm going to start another thread...
Oh yes. I cannot emphasize enough that I do not know what the current situation is. "Once upon a time", the USCG had a program where someone who had been an O-2 or above in any service, and had a commercial pilot certificate, could join the USCG and go to their flight school. However, the military ebbs and flows with the economy and the world situation. During the depression a single cavity would be enough to keep an otherwise qualified person from being able to join the Army. After Pearl Harbor things turned around 180 degrees. The military rules are always changing.

Not anymore. I flew with plenty of CG primary studs right out of commissioning. Other than that, I don't know much about their program. Remember, all CG pilots go through the same primary and intermediate/advanced flight training that the Navy and MC pilots go through.

Oh yes. I cannot emphasize enough that I do not know what the current situation is. "Once upon a time", the USCG had a program where someone who had been an O-2 or above in any service, and had a commercial pilot certificate, could join the USCG and go to their flight school. However, the military ebbs and flows with the economy and the world situation. During the depression a single cavity would be enough to keep an otherwise qualified person from being able to join the Army. After Pearl Harbor things turned around 180 degrees. The military rules are always changing.

There is a program where a rated aviator from any service can transfer to the USCG, but would have to enter the CG as an O-2.

Back