What is your favorite training aircraft?

CK

In your opinion what was or is the best aircraft for learning to fly in. I've always like the 172, but I've never flown the Cherokee or Diamond aircraft.

I would have to agree, to an extent. It really depends on which katana. The first ones were crap, I believe they are katana A-1's. The fun Katana's to fly are the C-1's. (I have flown both) They are faster than a 172 and are practically a glider. Bottom line, they are much easier to fly than most airplanes, and handle much different as well. That makes transitioning to a complex or high performance aircraft a little harder. I still think that they are funner than a 172 for training.
laugh.gif
It's like the difference between driving a 1985 Ford truck or a new Miata.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
1985 Ford truck or a new Miata.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please compare that truck to a different convertible. When I look at those two you suggested, I am not sure which one to pick.

Yup..the katana -A1 is not my favorite plane. Great visibility but it doesn't require any trim and very little rudder.

There are times when it's glider past becomes clearly evident. Today for instance, we're on short final for a short field landing. We're at 500' AGL when my student decides to put full flaps down and bring the power to idle. We stay at 500' for another 10 seconds before the plane decides to come down.

On a sunny day you get near that runway and the thermals take you.....

Ah...the plane stinks in a forward slip. There is so little side area to the aircraft that the increase in drag is negligable. You're just fooling yourself if you think you'll slip that sucker down.!!

Sorry about the "chick car" comparison, I was thinking 300Z or somthing like that, but didn't think it deserved THAT much credit lol. It's a small and fun, but it's no corvette,
smile.gif
atleast not in Utah.(4500ft) at sea level, a C-1 might actually have some nuts...

As far as the slips go, The best way I have seen it done in a Katana was to go back and forth from left to right, since once established in the slip it doesn't create that much drag. (probably not the best technique to teach a beginner) And it doesn't matter how many degrees of flaps you have in, with the Katana it's not going to start to drop until you get it under 75kts. Full flaps just let's you point it at the ground while keepin it slow....
grin.gif

If you're 14, you wouldn't have any problems fitting in a Cessna 152. I have a rare Aerobat model with a Garmin 430 GPS in it...better than what we have in the 727.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're 14, you wouldn't have any problems fitting in a Cessna 152. I have a rare Aerobat model with a Garmin 430 GPS in it...better than what we have in the 727.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that sounds great. I love those 400 and 500 garmins.
smile.gif

Me too!

I just figured out that you can set custom messages to pop up at specified intervals....mucho fun for screwing with the other CFI's...
grin.gif

30 min. into their flight, the yellow MSG thing pops up...co-worker curiously presses the button....

...WAKEUP JACKASS...

...WHERE AM I....

...OOPS...

...SELF DESTRUCT IN 10...

You get the idea...
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Me too!

I just figured out that you can set custom messages to pop up at specified intervals....mucho fun for screwing with the other CFI's...
grin.gif

30 min. into their flight, the yellow MSG thing pops up...co-worker curiously presses the button....

...WAKEUP JACKASS...

...WHERE AM I....

...OOPS...

...SELF DESTRUCT IN 10...

You get the idea...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do that. I would mind trying that.
grin.gif

You guys know more about that box than I do...I just barely learned how to turn it on. A lot of times when I go direct to a waypoint, I get a message that tells me the inbound course. It seems to repeat itself a lot with that message and it's kind of a pain...have you all noticed that?

We have a 430 in my families Piper Arrow. To get that inbound course message to stop popping up set the obs to the heading that it says in the message. Even though this will not change the needle at all, unless the GPS is in GPS OBS mode, the message will go away. It also will give you a good reference in your instrument scan as to the heading you should be tracking. This is the same thing I would do if I was flying an ILS or LOC approach.

[ QUOTE ]

...WAKEUP JACKASS...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this one.. after 20 or so min..

ERROR

Powering down

SHUT OFF UNIT

MALFUNCTION

Back