What is there to do in Grand Forks???

JaceTheAce

Well, I'm going to apply to UND as soon as my FAFSA results come back. One question that I'd like to bring up: Coming from San Diego, CA, what fun things can you do in this town? I heard about Winnepeg, Canada as the closest to a large city and Minneapolis, MN, but what kind of extra-curricular activities are there to do???

I understand that the town is a fraction of the size of where I'm coming from and expect there to be a limited amount of things to do. I actually think it will be a good thing for me to experience small-town life, plus it'll allow me more opportunities to stay focused on my education.

well just the usual stuff.

cow tipping, barn dances, ho-downs, ugly truck contests, squaredancing, country western music, cattle drives, riding in ol beat up chevys.
just regular North Dakotan activities.
tongue.gif

Just Kidding! (although it definatly exists in parts of eastern MT and North Dakota).

Grand Forks is a college town so theres plenty to do.

I came from a pretty decent size town back in Ohio (500,000+) and I must say the small town life was somewhat refreshing at first, with time though it has become just another city to me.

Like Montana said it is very much a college town here, and and we pretty much do exactley what you find on any college campus around the country, just not on as large a scale as a U of Minnesota or Ohio State.

Not sure what extra-curiculars you will be looking into but from a flying stand point we have just about every club/organazation you can think of. As far as other things go, greek life is pretty big around here too. It is definetely not for everyone, but for me personally it was a great decision. We have abuot 12 guys in our house that are aviation majors including some CFI/II's, so that has come in handy on more than one occasion for me.

The party's are usually plentifull on the weekands and I must say that even though it's colder than hell here for 5 months out of every year, people still know how to have a damn good time!

Will you be coming in as a transfer or a true freshman? Because living in the dorms that first year is usually a good idea, especially for someone coming from out of state that doesn't know anyone. That's the situation I was in, and all the friends that I have made up here have some way or another been connected to living in the dorms frosh year.

Any other questions fire away!

Matt

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm going to apply to UND as soon as my FAFSA results come back. One question that I'd like to bring up: Coming from San Diego, CA, what fun things can you do in this town? I heard about Winnepeg, Canada as the closest to a large city and Minneapolis, MN, but what kind of extra-curricular activities are there to do???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what do you do for fun? If you like to drink, they sure have that covered up here. The school even recognizes that as a what is going on because they give us these $2 cab crawler cards. You pay $2 and the cab will take you to the bar, or from the bar home. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

My advice is join as many clubs as possible. They not only look good on scholarship applications, but they can also take you away from GFK for a while. I am in SAMA right now and it has been enjoyable. I will get two trips out of that club this year (that I pay for).

If you like hockey, you will like the games. If you don't like hockey, just learn to like it and everything will be ok!

I will warn you. You will freeze your ass of up here. We had a period of 4 days where it didn't get above 0. Temps were routinely -40 at night and -20 as highs during the day. Let me tell you this, that sucks. Walking to class all I can think about is how much I hate this weather and how dumb our higher officials are for not cancelling school. "Just wait till somebody dies, then we will think about it" is the motto I think they have adopted.

Good luck with admissions, anymore questions, just ask!

Back