What is the smallest airplane...

Smallest impact on my wallet! I'd just like to log some hours.

Depending how cheap you're trying to be and what your threshold for risk is, take a look around for a used Sonerai IIL. They are simple and low maintenance, relatively fast, can do sport aerobatics, almost all are running 4-stroke VW's with low fuel burn and generally more reliable than the big chainsaw engines on some "fat ultralights" and you'll frequently find them around $10,000 or less. The wings come off but they are also small enough to fit beside/under most any other airplane and you can probably rent a hangar "corner" from someone on the cheap.

You guys are awesome. I wish I had 10 grand to throw at something flyable. If I had that kind of liquidity I would probably finance a small tail wheel type aircraft aka Cessna 120, 140, Champ etc. What I was going for was lowest price per hour flown. I should have been more detailed in the original post, but I was kind of on the run at the time. But I see these aerospace vehicles which look like a LSA and a ultralight procreated. I wondered if time spent flying in them was countable towards your overall total time.

Smallest impact on my wallet! I'd just like to log some hours. I recently gained temporary employment at a rigging shop working on parachutes. There is a couple of light sport and ultra light operations in the hangars next to me. I wanted to go tool around, log a few hours to maintain currency and really just fly. While I wait for the active duty orders to go to flight engineer school for 18 months.

A nice TEAM Hi-Max can be purchased for less than $5K.

http://www.teammini-max.com/aircraft/1700r-hi-max/

Which is kinda funny. Why do people like to see multi engine time? I see three reasons. The complexity of the aircraft, the difficulty in emergencies, and the type of flying you're doing. If someone was doing island charter in a C-421, how much flying around on one engine are they doing? It's not different to flying around in a C-337, when you think about it.
Push the power up on a turbo'd Navajo and get back to me on that

They're not inexpensive, but if one could own or get access to an AirCam I believe they're only burning 4 gal/hr total in cruise.

800px-Mooney_Mite_M-18L_NC366A.JPG

Mooney Mite

You guys are awesome. I wish I had 10 grand to throw at something flyable. If I had that kind of liquidity I would probably finance a small tail wheel type aircraft aka Cessna 120, 140, Champ etc. What I was going for was lowest price per hour flown.

A Schweizer 1-26 is probably the cheapest thing you will find per hour. I think my 10 hours in one came to something like $95.

I've bee watching Sonerais

They are neat airplanes.

sonerai-rear-sm.jpg
sonerai-side-sm.jpg

The one I owned when I was 17, I never finished it before selling it to go to college. I have no idea why I look like an angry beaver but I have a feeling I was making airplane noises and engaged in an epic imaginary dogfight, as that's what most of my time with that airplane involved.

No midget Mustang deathtraps?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have a buddy that ordered a midget Mustang tail kit and never received it. Cancelled the order, refund and then bought a Sonerai project. It'll be done next month. I'll be doing the test flights, so I'll report to Adler and other interested people if they want.

Actually, since Yves Rossy's jet pack is too fast to be a legal part 103 ultralight, I'm sure you could build that, get an amateur built experimental certificate and an N number and then it'd be loggable. (multi turbojet PIC time to boot!)

article-2164856-13BD8241000005DC-197_636x475.jpg

His is N numbered now as far as I know.

I have a buddy that ordered a midget Mustang tail kit and never received it. Cancelled the order, refund and then bought a Sonerai project. It'll be done next month. I'll be doing the test flights, so I'll report to Adler and other interested people if they want.
I know a guy that has a midget mustang and you'd never get me to fly one. Only other time I saw one, dude crashed in front of me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What's your point? You can still log centerline thrust multi-time as multiengine in your logbook. It would be no different than logging Cessna Skymaster time.

Potential employers may not like the fact that it's a centerline thrust multiengine airplane, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a multiengine airplane.

Most of my twin piston time is in a skymaster and my current gig had no problem with it when I interviewed. It actually gave me something to talk about since its such a unique aircraft.

Most of my twin piston time is in a skymaster and my current gig had no problem with it when I interviewed. It actually gave me something to talk about since its such a unique aircraft.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either. I disagree with the poster who suggested there isn't a difference between multi and single time, however multi time, is multi time.

Obviously Vmc doesn't exist in a Skymaster, but you can't sit here and tell me with a straight face that an engine failure in a mixmaster is a non-issue.....because it is. And dealing with it improperly still has the potential to kill you.

Back