What is the preferred way to enter flights in your logbook?

SierraPilot123

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am new the airline world and I am not quite sure the best way to log 6 hops in a single day.

Do most people total the day's trips into one line and list just one tail number? Do you list your routes in the remarks column or forgo this info?

Anyone have an example for a regional airline pilot?

Thanks a lot

Re: What is the preferred way to enter flights in your logbo

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am new the airline world and I am not quite sure the best way to log 6 hops in a single day.

Do most people total the day's trips into one line and list just one tail number? Do you list your routes in the remarks column or forgo this info?

Anyone have an example for a regional airline pilot?

Thanks a lot

You can do it how you want. But me I got sick and tired of logging stuff every leg. So I personally log a trip at a time. If I do a 4 day of RSV and fly a 4 day I'll log it something like this.

6/13-6/15 DAY-DAY Capt....... CLT-DAY-PHL-CAE,

Basically I put the dates of the trip when it started to end. Where the trip started (aka where I actually flew not DHD) and where it ended (last leg I flew and was active not DHD) then I put the Capts name... As you can see above I put the day worth of flying in my remarks CLT-DAY-PHL-CAE, was one day, the comma would be what happened the next day.... so on a 4 day trip the comma separates the days.... But that's how I do it. So far it works great. Also airlines dont care as long as you keep it the same way. Dont go changing how you do your stuff later. Find what works and keep it that away.

Everybody's got their own way of doing things, to keep things clear for myself I just did one line entry per day. In the remarks section I put the airports and any aircraft other N-numbers in case of swaps (I got really tired of trying to fit 4 N-numbers in the spot for aircraft ID in my logbook. Curse you SkyWest and your 8-leg, 4-aircraft days!)

I do it by aircraft. Every new day or aircraft swap is a new line. I put the starting airport and final airport in the appropriate box and all intermediary airports in the comments section, along with any instrument approaches flown or holds performed.

I log by Tail number, some log per day, some per leg, whatever floats your boat...

Here is how I do it...

lognj2.jpg

i log by the day and use the first tail number of the day and record the first departure city and last arrival city, then in the remarks i record all the flight numbers, city pairs and new tail numbers when necessary.

ie

6/23 N12345 EMB145 EWR YHZ 6.4 ....... remarks 2342 EWR-CLT, 2343 CLT-EWR, 2699 N14132 EWR-YHZ

Whether I change planes or keep the same one for five legs in a day, I log leg-by-leg.

One leg at a time baybay!!! :bandit:

Probably why I'm three weeks behind in my electronic log book and 4 months behind in my paper logbook. ;)

If you keep a little red (or black) book you can log your master log book however you want. I do it by year.

I used to log by tail number when I did it by hand. Now, I log by leg just b/c that's what I've got set up in APDL for the sync options on LBP.

I log by day, and then in the aircraft I scrunch in all the tail numbers I fly that day, usually (hopefully) no more than three so it fits nicely, and then i just string out the legs in the departure/ arrival...i.e. ITH-LGA-TRI-LGA-ITH. (no i know we don't fly from LGA to TRI, but it would be cool if we did!!!).

Try to keep up with it though is my best advice because all of the sudden 8 months will pass by and you'll spend a weekend or two catching up. Not from personal experience or anything:sarcasm:

I log by day, and then in the aircraft I scrunch in all the tail numbers I fly that day, usually (hopefully) no more than three so it fits nicely, and then i just string out the legs in the departure/ arrival...i.e. ITH-LGA-TRI-LGA-ITH. (no i know we don't fly from LGA to TRI, but it would be cool if we did!!!).

Exactly how I log my stuff as well.

This ex-commuter pilot logged in blue pen, in an old-school log book, the following per day:

Date
First Tail # flown
Type
From (first city that day)
To (Last city that day)
Remarks: Pairing Number

Times

I've tried lots of other ways, but I'm just too lazy to put the work into it.

I've been to interviews, and given interviews. If you're at a scheduled operation interview, they'll understand. I can't speak for charter, corporate or any type.

The only comment I've ever recieved was at a FSDO by a GA Inspector once upon a time. He was reviewing my logbook to remove the ICAO restriction. He asked "7.9 MCO to EYW" That's a long flight for a jet. I let him know I went to 4 other cities that day. :rolleyes:

You airline pilots are a lazy bunch. :sarcasm:;):sarcasm:

You airline pilots are a lazy bunch. :sarcasm:;):sarcasm:

True. But, entering five legs a day for fifteen to twenty days a month twelve months a year would be begging for carpel tunnel syndrome.

True. But, entering five legs a day for fifteen to twenty days a month twelve months a year would be begging for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Heh. <click> <press> <sync>. Done.

Did I mention how great it is being able to just sync the Treo with Logbook Pro? :)

Back