What is going on here?

BEEF SUPREME

dafaq.jpg

A friend was actually home for fleet week. Lucky her. She couldn't find an answer to what this crane + older harrier, missing a panel near the engine with 12,000 painted on the side is all about. Anyway she wanted to know what was up with that. I have no clue. I've never even been aboard an aircraft carrier. Mostly because I'm always working during fleet week.

Thanks!

Only speculation.

I was crash crew in Yuma, AZ from 2000-2002. We had a giant crane and the slings to lift Harriers in the event of emergencies. For example we had one land gear up on its gun pod. It was a pretty delicate operation working with the Harrier MX crews, our crane and providing fire watch stabilizing it with our equipment and theirs Etc. Perhaps there was a unsafe gear condition.

Aerospace Husbandry.

Lockheed has totally screwed-up the F-35B, so they're bringing in a C model and are going to try a different route of getting a STOVL aircraft.

True story, Fleet Week gettin' weird.

Aerospace Husbandry.

Lockheed has totally screwed-up the F-35B, so they're bringing in a C model and are going to try a different route of getting a STOVL aircraft.

True story, Fleet Week gettin' weird.

Interesting. That does strangely look like a former RAF Sea Harrier. I believe we have the entire lot of Sea Harriers in the bone yard. Keep the AV8s fly'n!

LHA/LHD and aircraft carriers have a old jalopy that they keep on-board while in between deployments. They are used to train the deck crew in fire fighting/crash recovery as well as positioning aircraft about the deck (tow, chock and chaining).

Just resurrecting an old thread as I cruise through...It has two seats, so it's a "T-bird" or TAV-8B. KD on the tail is the lettering that VMAT-203 in Cherry Point uses. -203 is the Harrier Fleet Replacement Squadron, and is the only USMC squadron that has T-birds. 12000 written on the side is the approximate weight. The basic weight of a T-bird that's in service is just north of that by a few thousand. What it's doing on that deck, no idea. It's either a museum piece or a training aid. The BuNo is hard to read, but there are a bunch of old farts with not a whole lot to do that enjoy digging up aircraft histories based on the BuNo. I'm not one of them.

Back