what is a good age to start taking flying lessons?

Evan

Hey-

I am currently 14 and will be a freshman in High School very soon. I really love flying and want to be an airline pilot. I don't know when to start taking flight lessons. I think I should wait until I am 15 to start ground school, do you all think that is a good idea?

Thanks a lot-

Evan

Do what you can do to keep your interest up. I would suggest starting when you are a sophmore, as freshman year tend to suck as it is. besides if you start after you are 15, you can solo on your 16th birthday which I always think is pretty cool.

Well, you can "think" about it at any time.
grin.gif
I know I was thinking about flying lessons when I was old enough to know what flying lessons were.

As far as when to START taking lessons..... 15, 16, on up. You have to be 16 to solo and 17 (I think) to get your Private Pilot's Certificate.

Don't do what I did, Evan - I waited until I was 37 to start lessons!
blush.gif

It's a blast - regardless of when you start.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Welcome to Jetcareers!! Don't mind the clowns. There bite only stings for a little while - then you become immune.
grin.gif

R2F

If you have the means get to it as soon as you want! I worked with a kid that is by now 20 years old with a couple thousand hours and several hundred multi.

I have instructed some one as young as 13 but I dont see the point (though I didint complain cause he went often and always paid). Pointless really, start at 15 or 16. I'd wait till you're 15 though cause like Eagle said Freshamn year of High School usually sucks...

Well I just had my 13th Birthday and my parents bought me an introductory flight at my airport. On my 14th Birthday I can fly solo if I have my 10 hours of flight, which I probably will. So for me 13 is the right age. And yes in Canada you can fly solo at 14, it is the lowest age anywhere (I hear).

[ QUOTE ]
Well I just had my 13th Birthday and my parents bought me an introductory flight at my airport. On my 14th Birthday I can fly solo if I have my 10 hours of flight, which I probably will. So for me 13 is the right age. And yes in Canada you can fly solo at 14, it is the lowest age anywhere (I hear).

[/ QUOTE ]

well that is 14 years Canadian, sorta like 14 Dollars Canadian is what $1.45 USD

grin.gif

that is pretty cool tho, how old you need to be to actually test and get your LIC?

Remind me to stay out of Canada - sharing the roads with 15 year olds is scary enough let along the sky with 14 year olds!

[ QUOTE ]
Remind me to stay out of Canada - sharing the roads with 15 year olds is scary enough let along the sky with 14 year olds!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they train you very well and make sure that you are very qualified before you solo. My instructor was excellent I hope to have him every time, if you are reading this thanks Dan.

If you can get the means (ie. parents), start now for fun!

If not and you have to pay for lessons yourself, buy some books and start reading; save for the day you CAN start
smile.gif

A great book to start with is Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook, also flight simulator is fun but realize that some 'negative transfer' will happen in actual flight training (staring at the panel, for one).

[ QUOTE ]
Is ten hours of it in jets?

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif
Nope, but some of it was in a King Air. Actually scrounged and bought it all himself, quite the go-getter.

Freshman year was great for me.

No bells. Not having to have a planner. Teachers arent on you. It was like college. Sophomore,Junior, and Senior year became just like junior high school all over again.
frown.gif

Tom

Freshman year wasn't all that great. But to be back on topic, I started at 17 and it seems to have worked out quit well for me. I got me PPL before I turned 18 in April and got my Instrument the day before I moved out for college. The day I got it was 8/14. I am currently 18. Also another thing to consider is where you will be going to college. Some schools that fly will only take you up to a certain level. By this, I mean that lets say they won't take you if you have anything above an instrument. PLus certain schools will only acredit you so many hours that you already have. Like right now I have my PPL and Instrument with 113 hrs? the school will only acredit you 70hrs towards thier course. Thats just some stuff to think about. Hope this helps

SkyGuyEd is right Microsoft's Flight Simulator is an excellent training help. It really gets you into the feel of flying, I have been using it since FS2002 came out.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as age is concerned i think more often than not it is an issue of the individuals maturity level. I have met 40 plus year old men that are more irresponsible and wreckless than most 14 year old children. I see the need to regulate age for safety but the biggest decision making should be done by the child's parents. LIke me for example. I was offered to learn to fly with my stepfather's coworker when i was 17. She would not let me. On the other side, I was allowed to navigate our $40K boat anywhere in the Great Lakes when we traveled as a family. So while my mom squashed me flying at that age, I was encouraged to learn seamanship, navigation and weather. I started doing that when i was 9 years old. It is all a judgement call.

I know what you mean Athena my instructors are very surprised I am 13, most think I am 16 and training for my Private Pilot Licence not Student Pilot Licence.

Back