What im I getting myself into???

blakehanson

I've been curious about aviation as a career for a while. Ive been through some college and plan on getting a degree in aviation. Now, before I start the ppl program and work my way up I was wondering about what im getting myself into?

I understand theres going to be studying and more studying, but what im wondering is what is going to be the toughest part?

What should I be most worried about? I know i shouldnt worry, but thats just not an option when it comes to school.

Baiscally, let me know what im getting myself into.

(On a side note...I cant wait till my first flight when I can take over the controls and start flying.)

I am sure you will get many differing opinions, but one opinion you will see overwhelmingly, major in something non-aviation related. Airlines don't care what the degree was in, just that you have it, and if the airlines should falter, or you decide it's not for you, you will have your major in something else to fall back on.

Go take a discovery flight. Make sure you really enjoy it as much as you think you do. (Only said that because it sounds like you haven't actually flown a small plane yet.)

Once you decide to go for it, just remember to have fun. I have seen a lot of people get so wrapped up in the studying and lessons, they forget that flying is fun.

Where are you thinking about taking lessons?

I actually am planning to take a test flight at my local field.

School wise I was thinking about going to Falcon Aviation Academy and joining there internship program which is zero hours to flight instructor and working for them as a flight instructor.

Or

I was looking at ATP in JAX. Doing there 90 day program. Although, I think I will stretch it out to about 4 months so its not all slammed at me at once.

Do you have any information or experience at either of these schools??

Thanks alot!

Like was mentioned before. Do not get a degree in aviation. Get a degree in something else but go ahead and get all the ratings and build up your time. An aviation degree is fairly worthless in my opinion and I have one.

What do you eventually want to do? Airline pilot, corporate, cargo? Have you looked into the profession very carefully. I don't want to turn you off of your dream but just realize what a career in aviation means. You're away from home more than you can imagine. You're working a lot and making very little for quite a long time. You can never really be sure if you're going to have your job next week, month, year, etc. The industry is tumultuous and the glory days of being a pilot are basically over. Again, just look into it carefully and don't get an aviation degree.

I am sure you will get many differing opinions, but one opinion you will see overwhelmingly, major in something non-aviation related. Airlines don't care what the degree was in, just that you have it, and if the airlines should falter, or you decide it's not for you, you will have your major in something else to fall back on.

That's pretty much my standard advice.

Back