What I have learned...

Ahhh yes. The only way to get anywhere is to stick your nose so far up APLA's rectal cavity you can see the back of someone's teeth...

Any Midwest pilots on this board? Care to share your ALPA networking stories, pinnacle: how you guys doing these days.
As a disgruntled IBT member, they can kiss my posterior as well.
Ill stick to my way of networking, you can have your koolaid parties.
How do you network? Do you tell people you help RAH hire pilots and then tell the pilots you are trying to hire about how bad the place is? I really have tried to understand where you come from but it gets harder and harder when you say nonsensical things like this. It is also disgusting how you are responsible for hiring pilots yet, talk such shi about the place that gives you such a great responsibility. If that's your style of networking then more power to you!

I get paid to conduct interviews. I don't get paid to bring people in for those interviews.
Just as I get paid to fly airplanes.

Here's where you and I differ: I get the strong impression you guys draw a line in the sand. One side is the company, the other side is the union.
There is a large amount of "us" who don't draw that line. I support each equally, or lash out equally when both get out of line.

I get the impression you folks sucking at the teet of ALPA on this board cannot see when ALPA eats it's young.

Why did you post this in a hard to color color?

Easy reading here!

s2r5tv.png

I get the impression you folks sucking at the teet of ALPA on this board cannot see when ALPA eats it's young.
Eh, ALPA has to live in the real world too. In the real world pilots as a whole don't want unity, they don't want a strong union. Pilots want days off, good pay, and vacation, and that's as much as they think it through. While pilots aren't smart enough to realize they should unify as one list and one contract, a majority of them are just self aware enough to realize they need a union. A union can fill in all the blanks in the contract for you on sections 1,2,4-25, LOA 1-infitiy, and has your back when crap hits the fan two or three times in your 30 year career.

To say it another way, some of us are able to take the bitter while remembering the larger picture, ALPA does much more good than harm.

I've seen some pilot groups completely mismanage their resources, represented by ALPA or IBT. My personal experience with the Mesaba guys has been overwhelmingly good, even post merger the familiar faces are still around doing good. There are guys in every union who will take the union resources, call all their friends down to the flying saucer, and buy beers and wings and BS the night away calling it work. Some of those guys make it to the National show and bring their same "leadership" to DC.

Decisions are made by those who show up. Volunteer, stay active, and keep educating yourself on the processes.

I get paid to conduct interviews.

Still, in that role, you are a representative of the company. Talking trash about that company is pretty low class. Do they know how you feel?

Here's where you and I differ: I get the strong impression you guys draw a line in the sand. One side is the company, the other side is the union.

Not at all. Frankly, as a union rep, you get to see how often the company really is right and the pilot is wrong. It's a rare occasion representing a pilot in a disciplinary case when I feel the pilot is more in the right than the company, in fact. Usually both are a little wrong. But a company left unchecked will become a monster.

How is someone conducting interviews any more a "representative of the company" than someone flying the line? They both get paid to fulfill a function. They both have opinions about their employer which they're free to express on their off time. You certainly don't hold back!...

Let me get this straight:
You, as a union rep fight 'management' to keep them in line, "to do the right thing"
I as a management lackie, don't tow the company line and tell it how it is when candidates ask for my opinion, and to you I'm still 'nonsesnical'.

I know there are a few on this board who have recently interviewed. We don't drink from the koolaid fountain at HQ when we conduct interviews.

Also: you sir ARE representitives of your company when you are outside of that cockpit. Be it walking in the terminal, or conversing with passengers. You SHOULD be the face of professionalism and safety for whomever you are working.

In the military we had this saying, "to act beyond reproach."
I wish pilots as a whole had the integrity, solidarity, and loyalty I saw everyday.

Also: you sir ARE representitives of your company when you are outside of that cockpit. Be it walking in the terminal, or conversing with passengers. You SHOULD be the face of professionalism and safety for whomever you are working.

Agreed, when dealing with the flying public. Not when talking amongst other pilots, however. In any case, a very different situation than someone who directly represents management (and is arguably undertaking a management function himself).

The "dark style" is unsupported and probably will get 86'd when I update the software in the next few weeks.

Back