What I have learned...

Pilotforhire587

Lycra Man
I know this is going to sound like a GO ALPA post but please don't take it like that. This is for the benefit of all of us, especially those at the regional level who hope to move on to Delta, FedEx, UPS, United, American, SWA, or any of the other carriers out there. I just want to point out, for all the airline guys on here that don't volunteer... YOU SHOULD. Whether the "pilot shortage" is real or not on the mainline level things are beginning to move and competition is fierce.

I spent a couple of days this week in Washington D.C for the Pilot Assistance Forum at the ALPA hq in Herndon, VA. My experience there, aside from what we all learned, really drove home something I already knew, but I think it is important to share it with you. So here it goes.

As you already know, who you know is much more important than what you know in this industry, and volunteering for a committee is a great way to meet people at the airlines you want jobs with. Here is how, You can find out from your MEC what volunteer positions are available at your airline, there are always positions available, and then you can get in touch with a specific committee chairman about volunteering.

Almost every committee requires its volunteers to go through some type of training, usually 2 to 4 days in Herndon, VA, and some committees, like CIRP, require annual training. This is your first chance to meet people. The training classes aren't divided up between airlines, everyone who is new goes to these training events and there are usually many more pilots from majors there than regionals. Between the interactive parts of training and the breaks you get you have a number of opportunities to meet people and network. As an example, I went to my first training event last year with 20ish of my own business cards, when I left 3 days later I think I had one of mine left, but a pocket full of Delta and United pilot cards, and after conversations with those pilots many offer to help out when you are ready to get on with their airline. There are three simple things you have to do, 1. put your self out there 2. be yourself 3. FOLLOW UP and stay in touch with the contacts you make regularly, via emails or phone calls. The third is the most important. I think many of us meet people who may be a huge help in moving on in our careers but then we don't do anything about it. I don't care how junior of an FO you are, start building your network, it will pay off down the road.

If you volunteer for a Safety position or a position that falls under Pilot Assistance there are forums each year you can attend. While you may have to use your days off to attend most regional airlines off FPL, or Flight Pay Loss, that allows you to attend and count the days as "work" days so it doesn't cut into your days off. Pilots from all around the world attend these forums. I spent two days at the pilot assistance forum this week and at the end of day one I was invited to dinner with the entire attendance of one US major airline, about 20 in total, including one chief pilot. After 3 hours of great food, a few drinks, and lots of conversing, you get to know some of the people, and they get to know you really well. All you have to do is be yourself. Between dinner and speaking with people during the breaks at the forum I came away with a number of new acquaintances, a few new friends, and after following up with them the day after the forum via email I had a number of people offering to help me out when it comes to getting a job with their company when I get the PIC time or they start hiring.

Now that I have pointed out the networking benefits I want to point out the professional benefits of volunteering with these committees. Committees that fall under Air Safety and Pilot Assistance are much different than working as an MEC chair, vice chair, sec/treas, negotiation chair, or grievance chair in that you work hand and hand with management on behalf of the pilots and the company, instead of working/fighting against them. Companies like Delta, FedEx, United, and American know the importance of the Air Safety and Pilot Assistance groups, they also know that these committees actually save the company money. Why is this important? For one, these volunteer positions look really good on a resume, especially if you are in a leadership position on one. Because the airlines know their importance, when it comes time for your interview at major you may very well get to spend the time talking about how you have served your fellow pilots rather than getting grilled.

All this being said, please volunteer. The union and your pilot group needs you, and you will be paying it forward for yourself to a level you can't comprehend unless you have done it.

I think many of us can back this up, Seggy and ATN_Pilot are just a couple.

I know this is going to sound like a GO ALPA post but please don't take it like that. This is for the benefit of all of us, especially those at the regional level who hope to move on to Delta, FedEx, UPS, United, American, SWA, or any of the other carriers out there. I just want to point out, for all the airline guys on here that don't volunteer... YOU SHOULD. Whether the "pilot shortage" is real or not on the mainline level things are beginning to move and competition is fiercely competitive.

I spent a couple of days this week in Washington D.C for the Pilot Assistance Forum at the ALPA hq in Herndon, VA. My experience there, aside from what we all learned really drove home for me something I already knew, but I think it is important to share it with you. So here it goes.

As you already know, who you know is much more important than what you know in this industry, and volunteering for a committee is a great way to meet people at the airlines you want jobs with. Here is how, You can find out from your MEC what volunteer positions are available at your airline, there are always positions available, and then you can get in touch with a specific committee chairman about volunteering.

Almost every committee requires its volunteers to go through some type of training, usually 2 to 4 days in Herndon, VA, and some committees, like CIRP, require annual training. This is your first chance to meet people. The training classes aren't divided up between airlines, everyone who is new goes to these training events and there are usually many more pilots from majors there than regionals. Between the interactive parts of training and the breaks you get you have a number of opportunities to meet people and network. As an example, I went to my first training event last year with 20ish of my own business cards, when I left 3 days later I think I had one of mine left, but a pocket full of Delta and United pilot cards, and after conversations with those pilots many offer to help out when you are ready to get on with their airline. There are three simple things you have to do, 1. put your self out there 2. be yourself 3. FOLLOW UP and stay in touch with the contacts you make regularly, via emails or phone calls. The third is the most important. I think many of us meet people who may be a huge help in moving on in our careers but then we don't do anything about it. I don't care how junior of an FO you are, start building your network, it will pay off down the road.

If you volunteer for a Safety position or a position that falls under Pilot Assistance there are forums each year you can attend. While you may have to use your days off to attend most regional airlines off FPL, or Flight Pay Loss, that allows you to attend and count the days as "work" days so it doesn't cut into your days off. Pilots from all around the world attend these forums. I spent two days at the pilot assistance forum this week and at the end of day one I was invited to dinner with the entire attendance of one US major airline, about 20 in total, including one chief pilot. After 3 hours of great food, a few drinks, and lots of conversing, you get to know some of the people, and they get to know you really well. All you have to do is be yourself. Between dinner and speaking with people during the breaks at the forum I came away with a number of new acquaintances, a few new friends, and after following up with them the day after the forum via email I had a number of people offering to help me out when it comes to getting a job with their company when I get the PIC time or they start hiring.

Now that I have pointed out the networking benefits I want to point out the professional benefits of volunteering with these committees. Committees that fall under Air Safety and Pilot Assistance are much different than working as an MEC chair, vice chair, sec/treas, negotiation chair, or grievance chair in that you work hand and hand with management on behalf of the pilots and the company, instead of working/fighting against them. Companies like Delta, FedEx, United, and American know the importance of the Air Safety and Pilot Assistance groups, they also know that these committees actually save the company money. Why is this important? For one, these volunteer positions look really good on a resume, especially if you are in a leadership position on one. Because the airlines know their importance, when it comes time for your interview at major you may very well get to spend the time talking about how you have served your fellow pilots rather than getting grilled.

All this being said, please volunteer. The union and your pilot group needs you, and you will be paying it forward for yourself to a level you can't comprehend unless you have done it.

I think many of us can back this up, Seggy and ATN_Pilot are just a couple.

Why did you post this in a hard to color color?

Good stuff. I'd add that doing things outside your normal position is a good idea. Training department in particular.

Really good post. Thanks for sharing!

P.s. It would be nice if someone also posted interesting or key discussion points from the forum.

1 thing to note. It becomes obvious, QUICKLY, when someone is trying to add things to a resume or get a rec through Alpa channels.

So, please, if you want to volunteer think about what you enjoy and find what fits you. Unions need volunteers, and sincerity opens doors.

Ahhh yes. The only way to get anywhere is to stick your nose so far up APLA's rectal cavity you can see the back of someone's teeth...

Any Midwest pilots on this board? Care to share your ALPA networking stories, pinnacle: how you guys doing these days.
As a disgruntled IBT member, they can kiss my posterior as well.
Ill stick to my way of networking, you can have your koolaid parties.

Nark said:
Ahhh yes. The only way to get anywhere is to stick your nose so far up APLA's rectal cavity you can see the back of someone's teeth...

Any Midwest pilots on this board? Care to share your ALPA networking stories, pinnacle: how you guys doing these days.
As a disgruntled IBT member, they can kiss my posterior as well.
Ill stick to my way of networking, you can have your koolaid parties.

Wow, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Back