What I flew today...

EatSleepFly

I had just gotten back from a flight with a student this afternoon, and I saw a shiny red Lancair 360 sitting out on the ramp with the canopy open and the owner standing nearby. I told my student to come check it out with me. We got to talking to the owner, who is a really super nice guy. After talking about the airplane for a while, he asked if I wanted to go flying in it with him! Of course I couldn't turn down an offer like that...

What a sweet plane!!!

Climbing out at about 120 kts, we were doing 2000 fpm! Flying around at 3000 ft., we were doing between 160 and 180 knots at like 55-60% power! It trues out at over 235 kts at 9000 ft. Holy crap...all this on a 180 HP (IO-360) engine! Approach speed is about 100-105, to cross the fence at 100. This created kind of a dilema, because the pattern was full of 172's and 152's (by full, I mean we were number 6). The controls are very light, and require a reeeaaalllly light touch (even more so than a Pitts). Its slightly squirrly, because of the high speeds and the tiny size- but man, what a fun plane!!! And the owner even took my student up for a quick flight after we got back- awesome guy!
cool.gif

Some pics

Nice. I was out working on my tail wheel landings 2day in a 170. Are you the tall one? Are those things aerobatic?

Yah, thats me- the tall one. And yup, they can be aerobatic...although we didn't do any (no chutes). Actually, the owner is an experienced aerobatic pilot- he previously owned a Pitts that he flew in local airshows.

Do you know if they are Inst. certified. I couldn't imagine flying a Pitts on a ILS in IMC.

P.S. Are you a giant or is that guy and the airplane really small?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know if they are Inst. certified. I couldn't imagine flying a Pitts on a ILS in IMC.

P.S. Are you a giant or is that guy and the airplane really small?

[/ QUOTE ]

IFR certification is pending on this airplane...

Its a little more stable than a Pitts (which I could never imagine flying in IMC either)- it just has really light control pressures. He's not planning on doing much heavy IFR with it anyways. Besides, its a composite aircraft...meaning a lightning bolt might as well be anti-aircraft artillery.

Oh yeah...and I'm a giant.
grin.gif

(Actually, I'm 6'1- its a small airplane)

Eat Sleep Fly

You live close to or in Kent OH? Just asking, my dad grew up there. I believe on Grant street. By the way, cool plane. Da*n I can't wait to fly!

Back