What happens on terminal pv

satflyer

Just curious if anyone has seen/had their pv for terminal? What kind of stuff happens? How fast is everything happening? Any idea what level of facility you could compare it too. For example, is it like a level 5 tower at peak ops or a level 10 at average?

Just curious if anyone has seen/had their pv for terminal? What kind of stuff happens? How fast is everything happening? Any idea what level of facility you could compare it too. For example, is it like a level 5 tower at peak ops or a level 10 at average?

No No No....Baaaad..:)

its easy....you walk in and youll see a lot of strips but the majority of them are past the 30 min mark (which means you wont ever talk to them). there will be 3 guys request runway 16 dept, mostly towards the end of the problem...there were several people in my class who didnt get but maybe 1 of the 3 guys off the ground...and they still passed (though you can get them all off, its just a little nerve wrecking)..the pv graders want to see you make good safe decisions. remember, these guys are managers from out in the field...they are used to seeing live traffic so dont do anything to get them nervous....i cant stress enough to just be safe...use your timers...there are a few guys towards the start that request intersection departures...(dont forget you can use 28L and get them out of the problem a lot faster)...
listen to the readbacks. the computer doesnt readback incorrect stuff per se (contrary to popular academy rumors) it just reads back what the voice rec picks up, so pay attention....and some of the guys will check in w/o the atis, or with the incorrect atis so pay attention to that too. but overall use good judgement.
talk to ANYBODY who has taken the pv (terminal or enroute) and theyll tell you the biggest problem is being TOO nervous...just be calm....the traffic is VERY slow...id say its about as busy as some of the busier table tops problems.

its easy....you walk in and youll see a lot of strips but the majority of them are past the 30 min mark (which means you wont ever talk to them). there will be 3 guys request runway 16 dept, mostly towards the end of the problem...there were several people in my class who didnt get but maybe 1 of the 3 guys off the ground...and they still passed (though you can get them all off, its just a little nerve wrecking)..the pv graders want to see you make good safe decisions. remember, these guys are managers from out in the field...they are used to seeing live traffic so dont do anything to get them nervous....i cant stress enough to just be safe...use your timers...there are a few guys towards the start that request intersection departures...(dont forget you can use 28L and get them out of the problem a lot faster)...
listen to the readbacks. the computer doesnt readback incorrect stuff per se (contrary to popular academy rumors) it just reads back what the voice rec picks up, so pay attention....and some of the guys will check in w/o the atis, or with the incorrect atis so pay attention to that too. but overall use good judgement.
talk to ANYBODY who has taken the pv (terminal or enroute) and theyll tell you the biggest problem is being TOO nervous...just be calm....the traffic is VERY slow...id say its about as busy as some of the busier table tops problems.

Thanks for the info, helps the nerves more than beer haha

Keep in mind for the tower, if you did not PV today or are scheduled to PV tomorrow you are in for a treat because tower PV as it has been known is going away after this week to be replaced with 6 varying PV problems that won't be as easy as before (I PV'd last Friday and this Monday and the class after are the last ones to get the old PV problem)

Keep in mind for the tower, if you did not PV today or are scheduled to PV tomorrow you are in for a treat because tower PV as it has been known is going away after this week to be replaced with 6 varying PV problems that won't be as easy as before (I PV'd last Friday and this Monday and the class after are the last ones to get the old PV problem)
I've been hearing my class may or may not get them (we're two behind you). But my instructor says they're not harder, just different. Same complexity and same traffic, different order of operations.

Tower PV is a step or two easier than what you've been getting hammered with for the two weeks leading up to it. I actually had a heavy jet go around on me on my PV (I "contacted departure" and told them what happened) and still passed. I think nerves are the main issue when PVing. However, I also think your PV-er has a factor in it as well. One person could miss something on a PV and pass, while their classmate gets gigged for the same thing. Just relax, play some music to get you focused before hand and do what you've been trained to do.

Back