what facilities are hiring

sotirakis

Hello all. so i've recently taken my atsat and received a well qualified score. now i know that there is some waiting to do, but i was just wondering what facilities are in need of controllers. enroute or terminal. im in PA so i was hoping PHL was, but what else? i'm willing to move but didn't want to go too far away. trying to keep it within 6 hrs driving since my whole life is in philadelphia. unless of course MIA or zma accepts me cause i love the warm weather. sorry if this is a dumb thread, but i don't know where to look for this info. thanks

As it has been stated many, many, many times before...

You can put down what state you want when you get your geographic preference email but there are no guarantees as to if you will get what you want.

Florida is probably the hardest state to get hired onto, Georgia comes a close second.

If you want a job, Louisiana seems to be hurting for people, but other wise, browse this forum especially the stickies and the pubnat threads. You will get a good idea that no one really knows what places are hiring (except for the great state of Louisiana).

Take what you can get, that's what most of us are having to do. Remember in a few years (depending on your facility's situation) you might be given the option of transferring. So take what you can get, dont limit yourself to just PA.

zz :)

i know there's no gurantee, but i was figuring that if they were looking for controllers then i would have a better shot. i wasn't gonna put them as a pref if they were freezing new hires. thank you for the info though.

Your best bet is to find out what facilities you would consider going to and make a personal contact to see how there staffing is. Each facility manager determines their personnel needs. This way you know for sure which facilities are in need of new faces.

I've heard the great state of Idaho has a hiring freeze right now. And for that matter most of the smaller states (population wise) don't hire a lot just because of very few larger airports and no centers (where large numbers of atcers are employed). Best of luck to you. P.S. You might want to give the west a try. I sure enjoy it of course I am prejudiced. : )

A little info about ZFW....

My dad is a controller in ZFW and he had a meeting with the chief this week. She said that they are all filled up for 2009 and won't be hiring anymore there until 2010. In 2010, they have 8 slots.

tacotico....u are hot

:yup: ... bwahahahahahahahahahaha ... :yup:

Sorry I just thoroughly enjoyed that, that was the only thing you could add to this thread.

Well at least we know buckeye has good observation. You should include that in your next app to FAA. :laff:

If you do some research on the net, you can find a chart that states how many controllers each facility needs compared to how many they have. The latest info put out, that I know of is Sep. of 07, so a little more than a year ago. FYI, I hear Oakland Center needs people real bad, so does Miami Center.

thanks everyone. i guess when the time comes i'll be callin facilities up.

I would advise calling PHL. I had a tour about a month ago. The facility manager was great, very friendly and informative. He never really alluded to availabilty. I never ask because he told me regardless of thier need it is the FAA who decides who goes where. I would recommend calling and getting a tour, just to put your name out there.

If you do some research on the net, you can find a chart that states how many controllers each facility needs compared to how many they have. The latest info put out, that I know of is Sep. of 07, so a little more than a year ago. FYI, I hear Oakland Center needs people real bad, so does Miami Center.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/controller_staffing/media/CWFP_final2007.pdf

Page 44 has the staffing levels as of 9/30/06 and the estimated "good" staffing range.

Page 53 has the controller loss estimates 2007-2010.

Just subtract!

I'd do the work myself, but I can't get the pdf to convert to a spreadsheet and I'm not going to put two hours' worth of copy-paste into it.

Good luck!

Not to be a debbie downer, but I have not seen a single person get selected for Philly, let alone BWI, where I am hoping to go.

You may want to keep your options open for somewhere as far as VA, where I think I probably have a better shot of getting picked up.
There are a few people getting selected there, so at least there is some encouragement there.

I remember seeing someone who was selected for PNE... might want to check that out too if you want the Philly area.

Back