What does "Heavy" mean?

gay_pilot18

What does \"Heavy\" mean?

Okay guys and gals I listen to DFW and ORD and JFK ATC via the net. I'm sure just like most of you on here do as well.

But I need clarification on the ATC term for "Heavy". Does the term refer to "weight" or to the aircraft producing "Heavy" wake turbulance or possiblity a combination of both.

Most times I hear the term heavy (Delta #1287Heavy) in reference to 767,777,747 A330 and A340's.

But today on the DFW frequency I heard the controllers say.

Delta #1284 Heavy decend and maintain 5000ft and intercept localizer for 17R approach.

Then right after that transmission they told an American MD-80 to give the Heavy Delta 757 wide berth due to wake turbulance.

That was new to me havng a 757 referred to as "Heavy". So yo what's the deal with the term "heavy" and why was ATC referring to a B-757 as a Heavy?

Everett
The totally confused one

Re: What does \"Heavy\" mean?

Heavy referes to specific aicraft that have (due to the weight mainly) the ability to create severe wake turbulance. They will have a larger seperation when on an IFR route.

I can;t recall the specific weight for the desiganation, it ""Seems" like it is 200,000# but I am no sure.

Re: What does \"Heavy\" mean?

[ QUOTE ]
Heavy referes to specific aicraft that have (due to the weight mainly) the ability to create severe wake turbulance. They will have a larger seperation when on an IFR route.

I can;t recall the specific weight for the desiganation, it ""Seems" like it is 200,000# but I am no sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

255,000. Used to be 300K, but they changed it. Though certain planes that are exceptions to this, such as the 757, are included.

Back