What do you love about flying?

I really hate to admit it but that youthful glee that I had in the late 90's has been squelched by:

What I won't miss:
a. Constant labor/management disputes
b. The TSA and their complete mishandling of security at the airport.
c. Having my bags dug through constantly.
d. Politicians, and especially those like Trent Lott that think that six figure airline pilots are a complete "abhoration" (if I spelled that right).
e. Sleeping in hotel rooms.
f. That hotel room "itch"
g. Working at strange hours in all sorts of time zones.
h. The "post trip" stench of jet fuel, deicing fluid and stinky passenger. My uniform reeks after the first day.
i. Industry instability
j. Being away from home: I'm starting to get homesick more often and it helps by having a white noise device with a wind chime function that sounds like my wife's wind chimes.
k. Rude passengers, especially the ones that decide that they need to use expletives loudly to get their lousy point across.
l. Flippant comments from friends and family about how "little" we work even though I spent an average of 280 hours away from home monthly and paid for a whopping 70 to 75.
m. Shady flight schools like ATA
n. Commuting to work because there is no pilot base at my airline that I could tolerate living in (yeah, I know it's by choice)
o. The media who seems to buy into the failed mantra that if we just worked for less, everything would be rosy, although at my current rates, I'm less than $1/seat/hour which is a better bargain than you'd get if you went to the dentist, automobile mechanic, or the $4/minute that an attorney will charge you to talk on the telephone.
p. Jeppesen airway manual revisions.
q. Policy manual changes that contradict one another and so many flight bulletins that there are nine different ways of doing one thing, but each of the nine departments say that their method is correct and you must do it their way.
r. Missing most weekends, nearly all holidays and many social functions, even after 6 years of seniority.

What I will miss:
a. The friends I made at Delta
b. Being able to cut in line at security while in uniform
c. Flying jets
d. Taking my wife on the occasional long layover.
e. Money money money
f. The excitement of flying a new jet for the first time

But beyond that, if I won the lottery, I'd probably buy a ticket, fly home and leave my books and uniform in the hotel room.

[ QUOTE ]
Being away from home: I'm starting to get homesick more often and it helps by having a white noise device with a wind chime function that sounds like my wife's wind chimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

Is this just a PC way of saying your wife snores or that she talks too much?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is this just a PC way of saying your wife snores or that she talks too much?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's a lot more PC than saying "Yeah, I made a recording of Kristie clanging pots and pans and she's making me supper!"
grin.gif

Nah, just kidding, I'm actually the cook of the house.

A300 Captain you pretty much sumed it up for me when you said that you can't ever be perfect at it. THAT's why I like this stuff so much... no matter how good you are you can ALWAYS do better. It's that constant challenge that keeps me coming back.

As for the fear... I agree with r2f. I'd guess that all good pilots are afraid of what could happen, and that keeps them (us) working to be able to handle it.

[ QUOTE ]
Because not having a degree means you will need to work, well a hell of a lot longer to achieve the same as those of us who have worked, and made the effort to achieve a higher education. and the dream you have, (which will remain a dream) of flying for a major airline, is unreachable without a degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe I'm looking for a non-degree flight school because I already have a degree? *duh*
tongue.gif

(and I'm working on my 2nd degree presently)

[ QUOTE ]
And Maybe you will be one of those people who vapor locks and is unable to fly due to paralyzing fear, or one of those people who can not pass a medical, or one of those people who thinks they are bulletproof and kills themselves and others because they like driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a current FAA 1st Class medical thank you very much. I also have a competition racing licence and have raced my car in several events and I have a very healthy respect for speed and what happens when you get overconfident. I know what the limits of my car and my abilities are and stay within those limits with a safety margin. The only exception to that is if I know if I did loose control it would only result in a harmless spin into a sandtrap.

Obviously having to deal with 3 dimensions makes safety even more important and I know the best safety device in a plane is a well trained pilot. So I seriously doubt I'll have any of the problems you mention above, I tend to deal with stressful situations in a calm and effective manner.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I sure am, please tell me more about your aviation experiences, and why I am out of line. Please tell us child tell us!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from what I can gather the only reason your a pilot is because you can't think of anything better to do, other than maybe lay on a beach with topless women serving your needs and obviously that doesn't pay well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
This is the funniest thing I have read in years. Having just retired from Twenty Years in the military, Are you even twenty years old yet... no I didn't think so, jeeze... I mean have you ever even kissed a girl?
Bwahahahahahh! tell you what, when you stop popping zits and start shaving, give me a call, then I will continue to berate you . at this point it isn't even worth the trouble, ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see your humour, and so what if you've been in the military for 20yrs? what's your point exactly? As for name calling, that just proves to me that you can't come up with a decent reply.

PS I was probably in a bad mood when I wrote that last reply so don't get all huffed about it, I didn't mean to offend.

I find it interesting that several of us are afraid of heights. I personally am scared to death of heights in terms of being on top of a building, or looking off the edge of a cliff, but when it comes to flying, the altitude doesn’t bother me in the least bit.

On a separate note, it seems like there is a barrier being drawn between the older and younger pilots on this board. It’s not a bad thing necessarily; in fact, I think all of the aspiring future pilots on Jetcareers should pay special attention to the comments made by the “older” (sorry guys) pilots. I think we are all slowly but surely figuring out that General Aviation flying is totally different than professional flying.

Nevertheless, keep your heads up everyone and someday when we’re all old we’ll meet up with Eagle for a “Geriatric Jetcareers Reunion” on that sandy beach with frozen cocktails and topless chic’s…
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have a current FAA 1st Class medical

I also have a competition racing licence

I have raced my car in several events

I know what the limits of my car and my abilities

I know if I did loose control it would only result in a harmless spin

having to deal with 3 dimensions makes safety even more important

I know the best safety device in a plane is a well trained pilot.

So I seriously doubt I'll have any of the problems

I tend to deal with stressful situations in a calm and effective manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep just about sums it up.

ruffles and fourishes.. datatadadaaaaa!

underdog.gif

HERE HE COMES TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!!

S U P E R P I L O T
(if he ever learns to fly that is)
[ QUOTE ]
Well from what I can gather the only reason your a pilot is because you can't think of anything better to do, other than maybe lay on a beach with topless women serving your needs and obviously that doesn't pay well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds about right.

Oooh, oooh.. it's my turn to be a wise @ss!
Eagle, you show a picture of Underdog with a caption of "Here he comes to save the day". Well Underdog's saying was "never fear, Underdog is here" (or something very close to that)... what you wrote actually applies to Mighty Mouse.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oooh, oooh.. it's my turn to be a wise @ss!
Eagle, you show a picture of Underdog with a caption of "Here he comes to save the day". Well Underdog's saying was "never fear, Underdog is here" (or something very close to that)... what you wrote actually applies to Mighty Mouse.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, I should have know that. My brother used to run around the house singing the mighty mouse song.
mighty_mouse.jpg

better?:)

*laughs* You crack me up Eagle, that certainly wasn't the response I was expecting
grin.gif

Each to their own I guess. Although I can't argue that money and time off aren't some of my motivations in wanting to become a professional pilot, plus chicks think it's cool. (or so I am told by other pilots lol
laugh.gif
)

Flying isn't my only passion, I figure with 4 days off at a time and a six figure salary I'll finally be able to restore a muscle car like I've always wanted.

Which reminds me, I never said what I love about flying.

1. Well I like technical things so all the 'clocks' lol switches and such are cool.

2. I like the idea of seniority, no need for butt kissing or worrying about ppl under you stabbing you in the back to get a promotion.

3. No taking your work home with you, my dad is always doing that, it would drive me nuts. When I'm home I just wanna do what I wanna do.

4. The pay and the time off. Sure I know that most of you will agree pilots earn every cent, but you still probably work less and earn more than say a coal miner!

5. I think the travel would be nice, sure it probably looses it's glamour after a bit but I have a goal to visit all 50 states so that should keep me interested for a while!

6. Then of course there's the flying itself, taking off, watching the world turn into what looks like miniature models. Plus the world looks so much different from the air I think. The challenge of navigating in IMC or above the clouds. Plus just being at the controls of a big piece of steel and making it fly is quite cool.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for now.

PeAcE

Back