What do you do on an intro flight?

Alright...how did this thread get so far off track? Somebody's got some eggsplaining to do.

cu1satullo22a.JPG

-mini

Most demos I do comes to some approximate of:

Me: OK, tower has cleared us to takeoff, I'll use the rudder pedals to get you good and lined up on centerline, whenever you're ready go ahead and smoothly push the throttle all the way forward... Ok great, I'll go ahead and put my hand on the throttle now, airspeed is indicating good, alright now gently start pulling back on the yoke just enough to make the airplane do a wheelie, and that will get us into the air...

Me: Pull back a bit more...

Me: a bit more...

Me: Alright we're nearly 3000' down the runway we should be airborne any moment now... (meanwhile I'm giving the yoke on my side a little 'pinky motivation'). There we are, in the air, good job!

Me: Alright we're nearly 3000' down the runway we should be airborne any moment now... (meanwhile I'm giving the yoke on my side a little 'pinky motivation'). There we are, in the air, good job!

Then there is their counterpart jet fighter pilot.

Me: Ok now pull back just a little

Them: Stick to their stomach

Me: MY PLANE!

One of these flights and you will never takeoff again with an intro student without holding the palm of your hand in front of the yolk ;)

Definately have a plan of where to fly so you keep the time to a minimum. I will preflight, start the engine and operate the radios. The rest I leave to the student for the most part. Let them taxi and takeoff. I just have them pull their feet off the rudder pedals but they operate the power and the flight controls otherwise when they take off. I let them play with the plane for a few and let them worry about what they are going to break and what they are doing wrong. Then I will land. Typically most are too overwhelmed to know what to ask right off the bat. The more work you let them do the more confident they get but it also disctracts them from how much flight time they are getting and usually seems like an eternity so they feel like they got their money's worth.

Whatever you choose to do on an intro flight, remember that the goal is to SELL them on aviation so the will start taking lessons.

Most demos I do comes to some approximate of:

Me: OK, tower has cleared us to takeoff, I'll use the rudder pedals to get you good and lined up on centerline, whenever you're ready go ahead and smoothly push the throttle all the way forward... Ok great, I'll go ahead and put my hand on the throttle now, airspeed is indicating good, alright now gently start pulling back on the yoke just enough to make the airplane do a wheelie, and that will get us into the air...

Me: Pull back a bit more...

Me: a bit more...

That's my routine, almost exactly.

Everybody just looks over and is like "what? You're gonna let me do the takeoff?"

I usually have 'em fly over someplace pretty and follow a river or something so they make some turns without having to think too much about it.

And I always let 'em land it on a demo flight unless the winds are really nasty, in which case I usually scrub the demo for a better day anyway.

The degree of assistance on my part varies but they get a kick out of doing it .

Then I look over and say "See, there's nothing to it" with a big ol' grin on my face, which always cracks 'em up.

I always hate the idea of demo flights. They're lots of work, pay crap and usually it doesn't end up with somebody actually taking lessons. It lasts right up until we get to the airplane, then just seeing how jazzed folks get and hearing them say "I never thought I could do this" totally makes my day and I drive home with a smile on my face. Every time.

Whatever you choose to do on an intro flight, remember that the goal is to SELL them on aviation so the will start taking lessons.

That's exactly what I do. My goal is to get them in the air as quickly as possible so they can fly the airplane and see what it's like to be a pilot. I don't try to teach them very much, just how to turn left and right, make the plane go up and down, and briefly cover what the rudder is for by having them make turns with & w/o the rudder. After that, I have them practice turning by following a terrain feature back to the airport. I work the power an trim, and talk them through the landing, eventually performing the flare myself without them realizing I was doing it since they still had their hands on the controls. All the while I'm selling them on aviation. I'd like them to sign up for lessons with me, but I'm happy if they just join the community.

If you haven't read "The Savy Flight Instructor" I highly recommend it.

I have to also agree with the other posts on presentation and selling. You ARE selling a product so be proud of it and professional. Many guys don't like to take the extra time (then complain later because they have no students). Make the effort and it pays off. You really don't even have to say much. The person has already made the decision to try flying so they are sold on the idea. You just need to sell them on yourself as an instructor. I have always had luck and not saying much on the flights. Most every time I get the comment that they liked me becuase I did not over talk and act scared. That built their confidence and made them feel safe.

Back