What do Airlines do next? Doug, or anyone who knows.

DocCorsair

When a airline retires a plane, such as Delta retiring the 727, what happens next? After the party, does the plane go to the Delta maintenance hanger where they get parts from it, or is it just flown directly to Kingman, Evergreen...etc storgage in AZ? Next, who gets the final "Honor" of flyin that plane to its final destination? Would Delta pilots with seniority get the chance or is it contracted out to a company that has typed rated pilots?

Just always wondered how airlines handled plane retirements.

"Welcome to KSHV"

Some are sold to other airlines/charter companies. Others get parked in the desert.

Just guessing, but I would imagine that the exact itinerary would depend on the airline. The airplane would probably be flown to the desert by line pilots who either bid for the repo flight or reserves who get assigned the flight.

Many of the aircraft are sold to other airlines like smaller freight companies or foreign carriers. Some are sent to the desert for storage until someone buys them or their parts while some are scrapped for metal.

Who flies them out there? Well, I guess anyone qualified at the airline could and sometimes the trips are placed into opentime for line crews to fly. Sometimes a retiring crewmember may fly it out as a retirement ceremony type of thing. I've never heard of "contracting" out to another company to fly the airplane to the desert. If the airline has several hundred qualified crewmembers in that type, why contract out ($$) to someone else?

Running joke around UPS is that when the company retires the B757's, they'll send a DC8 (built like a tank!) out to retrieve the crew.
grin.gif

Lots of 727s are turning up at Hamilton Aviation's compound at TUS and getting a freighter conversion complete with cargo door installation.

MD

[ I've never heard of "contracting" out to another company to fly the airplane to the desert. If the airline has several hundred qualified crewmembers in that type, why contract out ($$) to someone else?

Well, as we all know, sometimes the airlines can do some crazy things with their ($$). Increase pay for CEO's, Decrease pay for staff, union members, increases on ticket prices..yada yada yada....;) So why contract out, seems like the crazy thing to do.
grin.gif

There's so much up and down on a airline's "($$)line" you'd think pilots from AW were flying it.
grin.gif
wink.gif
J/k of course!!!

"Welcome to KSHV"

I know alot of 727's are being flown to Victorville. I was just there yesterday and there were a lot of Delta and United 727's there to be stored until a buyer comes along. Hell I even saw at least 13 United 747-400's. With the industry in it's current status a lot of the airlines are storing there aircraft, due to fewer flights and routes. I know Pan AM has bought a lot of United's 727s. There were a couple at Sanford, still in United liveries, when I visited Comair.

Just a question about freight companies using older aircraft, if it's not economical for the big airlines to use them anymore, how can these companies justify it? Is it because it's cheaper overall than buying a new a/c? and if that were the case, why don't the pax airlines just keep using them as well?

[ QUOTE ]
I know alot of 727's are being flown to Victorville.

[/ QUOTE ]

My company is building a power plant in Victorville, right adjacent to where all the planes are stored, and I am constantly getting site photos back in that have them in the background. I'd love to get sent out there for a site visit!
wink.gif

Back