what did you do?

cyruseh

I checked through the boards to see if this question was already asked, but wasn't able to find it.

Is there anyone here, who made it throught the 3 month course, got all their ratings, and then were not offered a job at ATP? I know that people exist that have gone through this, but I am not sure if any belong to this board.

My question is, if you were not offered a job at ATP, what did you do? Did you get a job somewhere else? What about those loan payments? Were other fbos willing to take you on?

Thanks

I did not do the career program at ATP. I've only completed add-ons there, but I think I can answer some of your questions. I've talked to a few career pilots who do not want to instruct for ATP because of the low pay (1k/month). You could possibly do better at an FBO.

As far as other FBOs willing to hire an ATP grad....why wouldnt they? ATP grads have the same FAA licenses and meet the same PTS standards as anyone else. I heard of several ATP grads working for other FBOs while I was there. Don't let anyone tell you that just because you got your ratings at X place you won't get hired because at ATP that certaintly is not the case.

I was looking for a job before ATP hired me, and met a couple of chief instructors that would only hire from within or someone they knew, and wouldn't hire me since I went to one of those 'big' flight schools. But other than these people, I've found that most people speak well of ATP grads.

[ QUOTE ]
low pay (1k/month)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is only the base pay. Instructors then get bonuses based on their students successfully passing their checkrides. A hard working instructor can make as much as $1800 a month.

i completed the program 4 months ago and still haven't got called. i'm beggining to think they are not going to hire me. i did really well in the program so i don't know what the deal is. i didn't get to fly the citation with derek or jim so that sort of puts me at a disadvantage. from what i hear a lot of the people that do get hired pretty fast.

[ QUOTE ]
i completed the program 4 months ago and still haven't got called. i'm beggining to think they are not going to hire me. i did really well in the program so i don't know what the deal is. i didn't get to fly the citation with derek or jim so that sort of puts me at a disadvantage. from what i hear a lot of the people that do get hired pretty fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to see that, getting an instructor job with ATP is their biggest selling point to me. - That sucks man.
frown.gif

Have you been calling and updating your resume?

Do keep in touch with the company and keep updating your resume. That being said, don't just sit around waiting for a call from the company... get out there and start flying! At least get something so that you have a need to update your resume.

AdrockAviator didn't get a call right away, he spent several months teaching for another FBO before getting the call, and now he is in front of me in seniority, and made it back home to Dallas before me as well... in the comfort of his wife's arms!
smile.gif

Many more stories like that out there... ATP helped you get the tools to do what you've always wanted to, now go put them to work for you.
laugh.gif

So don't give up... get out there and fly... and don't forget to have fun with the whole thing!
wink.gif

Bob

Back