What are your study habits?

iceman21

The time has come for me to really buckle down and get to studying during the rest of my training. I flew through most of my flight training without studying all that much and just using the knowledge I had stuffed in my brain from hanger flying and yadda yadda yadda.

Well now I am cranking the nuts down for the Commerical Checkride coming in a week or so, and after that it will be a crash course into CFI-land. So it is time for me to revisit the arena of studying, only problem is that I have really forgotten how to get it done correctly (yano the point at which the knowledge stays).

Right about now I crack open a manual and I am go straight to reading mode, no consume and interpret mode.

So my question is, how do you all approach studying? How do you "make it all stick"?

Thanks guys,

Mike

Just try to relate it to something; if that means stopping every few lines to think about it, so be it. Nemonics (sp!) for the things that don't relate or make sense (i.e. TAMATO FLAMES for day VFR flight). This is kind of a weak answer, but hey it works for me!

Iceman,

I am in the same exact situation as you right now, just a few weeks from the commercial checkride and then jumping right into the CFI training. I haven't been able to study for anything flying related recently because of classes, but I just graduated from WMU yesterday so now I am ready to get going. I have just found that reading, then re-reading or referencing the material helps me retain it. I am one of those people that can read something for an hour then all of a sudden realize that I don't have a clue what I just read. Try everything from flash cards to nemonics like mentioned before. I also try to read from different sources, that way it is reinforced and stays with me longer. Good luck on your studying and on your checkride(s). Keep up posted!

Happy Flying!
grin.gif

I never studied a lot until I got to the airline. Repetition has always been my secret though. Just repeat something enough and eventually it will sink in.

When I was in my New Hire class, I bought 3x5 cards and made flash cards for memory items. That worked really well.

Alot of new pilots make the mistake of just reading the Gleim and passing the test for their ratings. Even though they pass the test they have little understanding of what is going on. As a private pilot you should as a minimum read the airplane flying handbook and the relevant FARs. Another book that should be given to new pilots, but isn't is the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. It contains alot of stuff that you should know and between those two books and Aviation Weather and Weather Services, you will have most of the required information.

It is easy for new pilots to be lazy and to get by at first. It's not until later when they become a CFI that they (and their students) pay for their lazyness. The best advice I can give is to read the relevant information as you go through your training. Instead of watching reruns of 'Friends' in your spare time, read the FAR/AIM. Don't waste time on stuff that doesn't apply to you like the part 135 regs and stuff like that, just what you need. It helps to read the magazines too. The membership dues to AOPA are worth it just for their magazine. It gives you something new to look at every month to give a new perspective and to keep you from getting bored. Flight Training is pretty good too.

It is much better to read as you go instead of waiting until just before CFI. The added knowledge will help you through your initial training and you will have a better understanding of what is going on and why. During CFI training it is easier if you can focus on how to teach what you already know instead of trying to learn how to teach and cram at the same time.

Know doubt, I know what I need to know. A little fuzzy on repeating FARs by the number. Systems are there but not 100%. So, I have not been lazy, I learned much of everything from CAP when I was on Drill Team. I guess it's a matter of reorganizing all the files in here.

My input would be avoid distractions, focus on the meat of the matter and repetition. For me it's to review over and over. Sometimes a section, sometimes the chapter or video. But that's me. Sooner or later it'll stick, even if you have to beat in there with a stick!
grin.gif

Back