What are you paid?

Will CFIs weigh in on their pay and typical hours?

I get $15 an hour for ground and air and typically work from about 8 to 3, getting on average 2.5 flight hours a day. The rest of the time is spent on ground or waiting around. I know I'm being abused :) but I want to know how badly!

$45/hr, flying 80-100hrs/mo not CFI-ing ;)

$35,000 / year salary + Bonuses. Full medical, Dental, 401K, and Life.

Average of 105-115 hours/month is about the norm.

$30,000 per year, free masters degree, and full benefits. Work 6 days a week 7:15-5:15 scheduled (night flights and x-countries change things though)

22 per hour for ground and primary flight training, 25 per hour for tailwheel, 200 per pay base pay, and 50 percent paid medical insurance. Bill 90 to 130 hours a month.

So I'm getting really pissed. I'm getting a straight 15 per hr with no benes, no bonus, no nothing. And I'm a W-2 employee so there's that too. Advice?

So I'm getting really pissed. I'm getting a straight 15 per hr with no benes, no bonus, no nothing. And I'm a W-2 employee so there's that too. Advice?

I used to have that going on. I quite and got a new job that paid 3 times as much.

on the upside NY is cheap place to live.:buck:

Honestly? You know the answer to your own question, you just need to be ready to do some things. Are you ready to relocate?

The advice I'd give is look at yourself and ask yourself if you're comfortable with the position you're in. If you don't want to put the work into looking for a new job, that's okay. If your family is keeping you bound to the geographic area, that's okay.

But, you need to come to terms with your position and accept it or change it. Those are your options.

$15 and hour for flight and ground. Billing 45 hrs a month. Plus $925 a month salary. If i'm not flying the most time I will spend in the office is 16 hours a week. The rest is free time. Now if they would just get that multi up and running I would be really happy!

$25/hr, about billed 100 hrs per mth.

Also get paid on the side teach younger students how to drive in car.......:banghead:

Im an independent contract instructor in the SF Bay Area and I charge $60 per hour of instruction. I do sell 10 hour blocks at a discount though if you're willing to pay upfront. No bennies and I have to find my own students. Im usually busy though.

I thought it would be a good idea since I'm doing some freelance stuff. I'm paying $250 a year.
Where did you find CFI insurance for $250/year??? Can't even find non-CFI insurance for that little. For $100,000 liability, $1,000,000 property, plus $50,000 hull, it's running me $1,022/year. Not one accident in my history, and I am not low time. Kick in the insurance for teaching in my airplane... and ouch. Both bills were due this month.
As far as pay, $40/hour for flight/ground/simulator. $50/hour in the owner's airplane.

$19.35/hr flight, $18.42/hr ground, bill about 80 - 100 flight and 20 ground per month. No health insurance, but holiday and sick pay, unlimited use of an approved Frasca 142, and 1.5 hrs per month free flight time to do whatever I want (can't take up friends though).

Only 21,000/year with some benifits, insurance, and such. Also monthly bonuses for flight time and some other nice bonuses not related to instruction. Also I will be getting pay increases as my Total Dual Given increases.

Still in college so I am able to save money as I don't have to worry about $600+ a month in rent/food :nana2:

Well, the boss man advised me he can't give me a raise because the school is barely making it. He told me this just before he hopped on his new Harley on the way to his new speed boat, so I'm altogether certain if he's telling the truth.

twenty dollars an hour; for both ground and air.
cfi insurance paid.
10% discount on aircraft rentals.
100 dollar bonus for 40/50 and 60 hours billed in a pay period. (You max out at 300 dollars bonus and i found that out the bad way when i opened my check for 86 hours billed expecting 500 dollars of bonus.)

feast and famine.
two checks ago- 1199 after taxes
last check - $450 (stings)

Anybody making less than 66% of what the customer is being charged is being taken for a ride and I have been on it for a year now.

before switching just under a year ago.
$25/hour ground and flight
Billed 80-150 hours a month.
CFI insurance was paid for in the plane, 20% discount on rentals. Was an independant contractor, had to find my own students, which didn't take much work. After the first month their, i had 4 full time students. When i left, i had 15 full time students and 8 part time students. I was having to give flights to the other instructor b/c i was timing out.
I was living Good.. i need to go get that job back. haha

Well, the boss man advised me he can't give me a raise because the school is barely making it. He told me this just before he hopped on his new Harley on the way to his new speed boat, so I'm altogether certain if he's telling the truth.

I call BS on your boss.

Back