What are you eating while you are on the road?

I typically eat Bacon and eggs, Bacon Cheeseburger, Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon, with a dessert of chocolate covered bacon ;)

Actually even with eating out for every meal with proper planning you can eat healthy.

For the hotel breakfast stick with oatmeal and fresh fruit. Avoid the waffles with butter and syrup. Also the Juice that the hotel offers has a ton of sugar in it. Go for some tea or just water.

For eating out even fast food can be health-ish. Pre planning BEFORE you show up at the restaurant makes a difference. It's especially easy with a smart phone, look up the nutrition info before you go, pick out what you want based on that. Just about all chain restaurants have their stuff online. And sticking with Water and not soda makes a HUGE difference on your waistline and wallet.

When Galen Rupp won the silver medal in the 10K in London, he had waffles and hash browns for breakfast. My latest craze is soups. They seem to fill me up. I've avoided them in the past because I figured that something watery couldn't possibly satisfy me but it actually does quite well.

When Galen Rupp won the silver medal in the 10K in London, he had waffles and hash browns for breakfast. My latest craze is soups. They seem to fill me up. I've avoided them in the past because I figured that something watery couldn't possibly satisfy me but it actually does quite well.
Just gotta watch the sodium, easier to do with homemade.

Get an ice bag (the kind you see in cartoons for headaches). Fill it with ice. Heck, refill it with galley ice on turns, if you really want to. I've found that freezing day 2, 3, and 4 meals helps tremendously. It's extra "ice".

Kind of an old thread, but this is great adv"ice". ;)

Lately I'm on the Jared plan since I spend a ton of time instructing at FSI in CVG. It's either Rally's or Subway so I try to be like Jared, although I could potentially poop a yoga mat soon.

As I recall a couple years back, @wheelsup had a pretty good meal-planning technique for stuff he brought on the road.

There's really nothing wrong with bread and waffles if your physical activity is on par with your caloric intake; there's a reason Michael Phelps eats 7-10,000 calories a day when he's in training mode, y'know?

My business travel has ramped up again in the last 9 months and I have found two things (especially in the winter months) are helping with my overall health/eating on the road.

1) Drinking more water than I feel like I need, because I usually need more than I think I do. Make sense?
2) Not drinking as much alcohol. Doesn't apply to a lot of you, but it really makes a difference. Especially as I'm turning 40 this year, I simply do not process booze like I used to. Can't do it.

Turkey avacado pita sammich thingy i make, and homeade almond bars that are about a 30-30-40 protein-fat-carb i make myself. ~20 grams of protein per bar.

Late to this party, but would you mind posting your almond bar recipe?

Last edited:
Lol. Standby, google-fu'ing my old recipe thingy. @killbilly & @nodaysoff

...accessing... fail.. standby

Now you can make this more than one way. Keep in mind this is a jynxyjoe recipe, or a "shoot-from-the-hip" (slurred drunkenly).

Not the 30-30-40 recipe: (this recipe matured from protein nut one into the one everyone liked the most, and I kept because I was done sneaking tons of protein into a single bar)

I used to buy the Greenwise Natural Vanilla Flavor Whey Protein Powder which is what you'll see for the recipe. Use what you have, but I liked EAS 15 too the EAS 15 doesn't have as much protein as the old greenwise stuff but it's hard to get that in my area so I bought the Sam's EAS.

Nutrition facts below were for 8x8 pan I had a while back, it's about the same with 9x9 but you want. If you use a 8x8 use 3/4 cup of pilaf or oats. If 9x9 use 1 cup. If 9x9 you'll have 9 servings not 8 and calorie will vary.

almonds.jpg

• 12 teaspoon, Raw Brown Sugar (not needed, but it's favor full with salt)
  • 44 g, Greenwise Natural Vanilla Flavor Whey Protein Powder (this was either 2 or 3 scoops, scoops were a little larger.)
  • 6 oz pouch, Strawberry Fruit Leather (chopped roughly into squares size of a chocolate chip)
  • 3/4 cup almond slivers (toasted, toast them yourselves @ 300F for 15min)
  • 4 large, Eggs - White only, raw
  • 8 tbsp, Organic Raw Creamy Almond Butter (warmed on stove or microwave or whatever you like)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup cooked, Kashi Seven Whole Grain Pilaf (swap 1:1 for old fashioned rolled steel cut oats if you wish, Pilaf had a texture that had mixed reviews, can't find this my store anymore, it was almost like rice, but can't use anymore)
  • 0.25 tsp, Sea Salt, Course Crystals
Cooking Instructions (using term loosly)
  • Preheat oven to 300F (will need for baking bars and toasting almond slivers)
  • Prepare 9x9 (or 8x8) pan with aluminium covering the bottom of pan, and grease with Pam spray or canoli oil (use basting brush with oil to coat all the aluminum lining the pan).
  • Cook Kashi Pilaf on stovetop while almonds toast in oven. The Pilaf expands so measure ahead of time for the expansion so you don't have an extra cup left over. It's good to overcook this just a touch (extra minute over box recommended time). It's likely you'll not find exactly what I used to use, so buy the traditional rolled oats steel cut, these resemble oatmeal looking flakes rather than grits. You can buy a pound for about $1.90.
  • Pour (either) Pilaf (or old fashioned oats) into metal bowl with egg whites, almond butter (warmed), sugar (feel free to use half the 12teaspoon or none at all), protein powder, fruit leather, toasted almonds, salt.
  • Mix contents of bowl with large spoon. Metal bowl should be warm to fingers by now, almond butter needs just a little heat to mix well, it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't mix perfectly.
  • Pour mixture into greased pan with aluminum foil lining. If everything is still warm the mixture should level itself. Otherwise go artisty with spatula. Careful trying to level edges, it'll get messy quick, you'll find out if you try.

For the 30-30-40 mix. Use ingredients in 9x9 (or 8x8 using rules above). Use cooking

• 4 teaspoon, Raw Brown Sugar
  • 5 large, Eggs - White only, raw
  • 8 tbsp, Organic Raw Creamy Almond Butter (warmed on stove or microwave or whatever you like)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup cooked old fashioned rolled steel cut oats if you wish
Mix all the ingredients in bowl, try to keep the almond butter warm before you put into bowl.

Tips: used to take my metal measuring cup and place directly on top of oven heating coil at about "3". Put 8 tbsp into a 1 cup measuring cup, if you're picking up what I'm putting down, the cup is about half full so you can spoon the almond butter in circles while the little measuring cup is heating. If this process is too complicated then put almond butter into pyrex glass measuring cup and microwave 10 seconds, take out and stir with spatula, repeat until almond butter is warm.

Now the tough part. With spatula or wooden spoon move the mixture around a few times in the bowl so it mixes. It looks gross and sloppy right? Add your chosen protein powder one scoop at a time. I will tell you this mixture should be able to hold 4 of your scoops easily. When I say "hold" this is like making bread. You scoop and dump and mix the bowl. For your first attempt dump four scoops into the metal bowl and mix with spatula or wooden spoon. I mean really mix it. Fold the slurry of ingredients on top of each other.

Does it seem like there's a little or lot of egg and runny stuff left over? If yes: add one more scoop to bowl and mix together very well and repeat beginning of line (start over this paragraph). If no: your mixture can hold no more powder and you must pour mixture into greased pan with aluminum foil lining and cook.

You may be able to put 6 or 7 scoops in this mixture, and if you have a tiny scoop (no dick jokes) it might be significantly more. Want more fiber? Too bad. If you add benefiber or one of those, you'll get weird jellow crappy crap almond crap.

If you don't cook a lot this won't be intuitive. If you've ever successfully made bread you'll understand this easily. Good luck gents!

Last edited:
Lol. Standby, google-fu'ing my old recipe thingy. @killbilly & @nodaysoff

...accessing... fail.. standby

Now you can make this more than one way. Keep in mind this is a jynxyjoe recipe, or a "shoot-from-the-hip" (slurred drunkenly).

Not the 30-30-40 recipe: (this recipe matured from protein nut one into the one everyone liked the most, and I kept because I was done sneaking tons of protein into a single bar)

I used to buy the Greenwise Natural Vanilla Flavor Whey Protein Powder which is what you'll see for the recipe. Use what you have, but I liked EAS 15 too the EAS 15 doesn't have as much protein as the old greenwise stuff but it's hard to get that in my area so I bought the Sam's EAS.

Nutrition facts below were for 8x8 pan I had a while back, it's about the same with 9x9 but you want. If you use a 8x8 use 3/4 cup of pilaf or oats. If 9x9 use 1 cup. If 9x9 you'll have 9 servings not 8 and calorie will vary.

View attachment 29309
  • 12 teaspoon, Raw Brown Sugar (not needed, but it's favor full with salt)
  • 44 g, Greenwise Natural Vanilla Flavor Whey Protein Powder (this was either 2 or 3 scoops, scoops were a little larger.)
  • 6 oz pouch, Strawberry Fruit Leather (chopped roughly into squares size of a chocolate chip)
  • 4 large, Eggs - White only, raw
  • 3/4 - 1 cup cooked, Kashi Seven Whole Grain Pilaf (swap 1:1 for old fashioned rolled steel cut oats if you wish, Pilaf had a texture that had mixed reviews, can't find this my store anymore, it was almost like rice, but can't use anymore)
Cooking Instructions (using term loosly)
  • Preheat oven to 300F (will need for baking bars and toasting almond slivers)
  • Prepare 9x9 (or 8x8) pan with aluminium covering the bottom of pan, and grease with Pam spray or canoli oil (use basting brush with oil to coat all the aluminum lining the pan).
  • Cook Kashi Pilaf on stovetop while almonds toast in oven. The Pilaf expands so measure ahead of time for the expansion so you don't have an extra cup left over. It's good to overcook this just a touch (extra minute over box recommended time). It's likely you'll not find exactly what I used to use, so buy the traditional rolled oats steel cut, these resemble oatmeal looking flakes rather than grits. You can buy a pound for about $1.90.
  • Pour (either) Pilaf (or old fashioned oats) into metal bowl with egg whites, almond butter (warmed), sugar (feel free to use half the 12teaspoon or none at all), protein powder, fruit leather, toasted almonds, salt.
  • Mix contents of bowl with large spoon. Metal bowl should be warm to fingers by now, almond butter needs just a little heat to mix well, it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't mix perfectly.
  • Pour mixture into greased pan with aluminum foil lining. If everything is still warm the mixture should level itself. Otherwise go artisty with spatula. Careful trying to level edges, it'll get messy quick, you'll find out if you try.

For the 30-30-40 mix. Use ingredients in 9x9 (or 8x8 using rules above). Use cooking

• 4 teaspoon, Raw Brown Sugar
  • 5 large, Eggs - White only, raw
  • 3/4 - 1 cup cooked old fashioned rolled steel cut oats if you wish
Mix all the ingredients in bowl, try to keep the almond butter warm before you put into bowl.

Tips: used to take my metal measuring cup and place directly on top of oven heating coil at about "3". Put 8 tbsp into a 1 cup measuring cup, if you're picking up what I'm putting down, the cup is about half full so you can spoon the almond butter in circles while the little measuring cup is heating. If this process is too complicated then put almond butter into pyrex glass measuring cup and microwave 10 seconds, take out and stir with spatula, repeat until almond butter is warm.

Now the tough part. With spatula or wooden spoon move the mixture around a few times in the bowl so it mixes. It looks gross and sloppy right? Add your chosen protein powder one scoop at a time. I will tell you this mixture should be able to hold 4 of your scoops easily. When I say "hold" this is like making bread. You scoop and dump and mix the bowl. For your first attempt dump four scoops into the metal bowl and mix with spatula or wooden spoon. I mean really mix it. Fold the slurry of ingredients on top of each other.

Does it seem like there's a little or lot of egg and runny stuff left over? If yes: add one more scoop to bowl and mix together very well and repeat beginning of line (start over this paragraph). If no: your mixture can hold no more powder and you must pour mixture into greased pan with aluminum foil lining and cook.

You may be able to put 6 or 7 scoops in this mixture, and if you have a tiny scoop (no dick jokes) it might be significantly more. Want more fiber? Too bad. If you add benefiber or one of those, you'll get weird jellow crappy crap almond crap.

If you don't cook a lot this won't be intuitive. If you've ever successfully made bread you'll understand this easily. Good luck gents!

If I use oats, do I cook them first?

Sounds delicious, I will definitely give it a try.
The first recipe with the strawberry leather was everyone's favorite. It's kinda healthy... sorta? Tastes too good. If you have a dehydrator make your own leather this time of year. We're already on batch #3 of jerky now that it's below 50f outside.

Back