What Are My Pictures Worth? - Part II

Joe

I posed this question about a year ago wondering what my photos were worth. I always take my camera (a 6 MP Canon PowerShot S3 IS) to work with me, and if I see something cool I try to take a picture of it. If it comes out good, I upload it and share it with everyone here. Last year, my company's general manager was interested in using some shots in an informational brochure (which never happened), and the average response was in the ballpark of $100-200.

However, I am getting more requests for use of my photos. Recently, I let a photo editor use an aerial shot of BED for use in some local newspapers in MA for an article about airport expansion. He sent me two papers that used it, and while it was cool to see my photo with a credit on the front page of a newspaper (albeit a small, local newspaper), I thought to myself after: "Self, could I/should I have been compensated for this?" Granted, it wasn't the New York Times and I'm not a professional who was hired for a shoot; I just happened to fly over an airport while building time in a C152, pointed my camera out the window and took a picture. But if there's money to be made, even if it's just a little, I'm interested.

Another e-mail I recently received requested the use of what I assume to be this photo of a Learjet 31A in our hangar. This person intends to use it for some sort of advertisement, and would like to discuss payment options, but I have no idea what to say! What started as just a hobby may perhaps be turning into a side business for me, which has had me doing some DSLR and lens research and shopping lately.

Also on the subject of selling photos: If a tail number is visible, do I need the aircraft owner's permission? In this case, just the last two letters are visible, but I wasn't sure if there any rules/legal issues regarding that.

Also on the subject of selling photos: If a tail number is visible, do I need the aircraft owner's permission? In this case, just the last two letters are visible, but I wasn't sure if there any rules/legal issues regarding that.

Technically, yes, but it would only become an issue if the owner of the plane complained. (Though most places will not purchase a photo without the release.)
As far as rate, it depends on the use and how widespread it would be.

Ive had the same kinda thing happen.

Someone ran across one of my pictures and offered me $150 to use it in their brochure.

Just think of the professional photographers you will be putting out of business everywhere with your lowball prices!

:)

Yeah man--you're the problem with the photog industry--lowering the bar with your SPS! (shiny photographers syndrome)

You need to pay your dues!!

:D

Back