What airports stop and make you think The airline is NUTS for having a base here?

Key West would be so much better if the Navy would allow a civilian terminal at the NAS. You have like 3 10000 ft runways 2 islands over.

BUR and HVN. Talk about out of left field.
BUR isn't that bad operationally. HVN has sometimes been a problem, particularly during winter ops. But taking some risks is also necessary to succeed as a new entrant; and from what I understand the load factors out of HVN have been seriously impressive. And when HVN finally builds their runway extension and their new terminal, and becomes less of an operational nightmare, Avelo will have a huge head start in the market.

ILG is actually the more interesting one to me. It was an operationally difficult airport before Avelo stepped in, and still is now, because the terminal is simply too small for mainline jets. Demand is fantastic, but unlike HVN, there are no plans I'm aware of to expand the terminal there.

I'll be curious to see if LAL has similar issues to those other two - if we even dare to make it a base.

Back