What airports stop and make you think The airline is NUTS for having a base here?

A1TAPE

What airports in your route structure make you wonder WHY have it as a base or are so prone to IROPS or other issues that you think the airline would perform better overall by eliminating that airport from service entirely?

When I was at QX, they opened Medford, Oregon as a crew base…a CAT I airport, in a mountainous valley that’s susceptible to inversion fog.

The determining factor for the base there was “we have 3 aircraft that layover there”, which we did in Eugene as well (and is a CAT III airport).

Numerous times over the years, they had issues with crews being out of position due to adverse weather. One particular year, there was a week of inversion fog, and they had to bus crews in/out.

When I was at QX, they opened Medford, Oregon as a crew base…a CAT I airport, in a mountainous valley that’s susceptible to inversion fog.

The determining factor for the base there was “we have 3 aircraft that layover there”, which we did in Eugene as well (and is a CAT III airport).

Numerous times over the years, they had issues with crews being out of position due to adverse weather. One particular year, there was a week of inversion fog, and they had to bus crews in/out.
I take it some weeks DX was like just overnight them in base and do it at noon tomorrow

ATL. I mean it's central to nothing which almost guarantees you're connecting from somewhere else.

Lol my fav part about MFR, is IN N out is near the airport lol

Forget what Frank Lorenzo did to the unions he should have been banned from all aviation for choosing to have IAH as a HUB.

Summer + Texas by the coastline = don’t fly just drive you will actually make it to your destination on time
Having dispatched in and out of IAH for 8 years, I feel like I’m qualified to say it’s a pretty good hub. The storms move through pretty quick and it’s very rare they ever go into a GDP. Usually a 2-3 hour GS does the trick then they open the floodgates and let everyone in. Pretty efficient.

EWR and SFO are the ones I always scratch my head and wonder about.

Having dispatched in and out of IAH for 8 years, I feel like I’m qualified to say it’s a pretty good hub. The storms move through pretty quick and it’s very rare they ever go into a GDP. Usually a 2-3 hour GS does the trick then they open the floodgates and let everyone in. Pretty efficient.

EWR and SFO are the ones I always scratch my head and wonder about.
DEN? EWR is actually the best N90 airport imo. JFK and LGA are too congested. PHL is essentially 2 RWY op

DEN? EWR is actually the best N90 airport imo. JFK and LGA are too congested. PHL is essentially 2 RWY op
DEN is good but when you get rolling storms off the mountains everyone dives into COS like its Normandy, JFK can handle congestion fine except when taxi outs are 40 planes deep. EWR is the WORST airport for N90 due to traffic management and overall ground congestion.

With the recent mini meltdown at SWAs MDW base I think SWA is crazy for having a CAT1 only airport as a hub. Especially one with one of the shorter runways in the Core 30.

With the recent mini meltdown at SWAs MDW base I think SWA is crazy for having a CAT1 only airport as a hub. Especially one with one of the shorter runways in the Core 30.
Several major hubs are CAT I only. Phoenix and Miami come to mind. The difference is Chicago gets low vis more than those two

And it's not even 200-1/2 CAT I.

That said, there are often significant revenue opportunities from flying into operationally challenging airports, since they tend to have less competition. Risk vs. reward.

PHX ground stopped for being below 1 mins the other morning. Southwest and America West have hubs there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back