What airplane flies the best in your opinion

Grumman Tiger, althought it's a bit squirrelly in roll. I just flew a Commander 114 for the first time. Nice plane but very heavy on the controls.

Thinking of planes I didn't land, I would have to say the Gulfstream IV. Thinking of planes I did land, I would have to say the Cirrus SR22.

A300Capt the 757 is my favorite airplane too. But why do you like it and why do you call it a "hot rod". As I have heard it
is not a particularly fast plane with it's wing sweep only being at a mere 25 degree's in comparison to the rakish 47 & 31 degree sweep of the B-747 and B-767,777 respectively. But I have heard that the B-757 is the best/fastest climbing commerical jet in sevice
laugh.gif

The 757, althought I've never flown it, is by all means a hotrod.

I sat on the jumpseat from PHX to DFW in the summertime a few years ago and good lord that thing performs! YOW!

[ QUOTE ]
.......okay but why and how does it perform, how is it a "hot rod"? Facts man, I need facts...(lol)
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tons of power, climbs well, accelerates nicely -- all in non favorable conditions.

Even watching those things depart Salt Lake City on a hot day, they take off (comparatively) like rockets. Whereas a heavy MD-90 is more or less "skipboarding".

"Tons of Power, climbs well"....yep,yep,yep. That excellent climb perfomance comes from the wing being set at a 25 degree sweep angle that allows for the 757 to perform excellent at slow speeds and in hot & high temperatures i.e. take-off.

And your right I sit here at CVG and watch the planes on a push and the 757 always is off the runway well before midfield while everything else MD-80/90,767,777,737 get airborne almost well toward the numbers.

Gotta love the 757....Now the bigger question is which plane is a better performer the 757 or the 767 with it 31 degree wing sweep? The 757 is a much sleeker, sexier, more attractive plane. But looks aside hope to hear for you all.

incredible rate of climb.

The "Lean Eagle" leaps off the runway. I was jumpseating in a Useless Air B757 with a light load one morning, and we hit 3000' before the end of 18L at MCO. Wow.

I say it's a hot rod due to it's "g-loading"
grin.gif
t/o acceleration, incredible two engine climb performance (single engine isn't bad either)and it's incredible stopping ability (that was prior to replacing the carbon brakes with steel ones). Since we didn't have to worry about pax comfort in the back,...well, um, let's just say we got to "explore" the fantastic performance characteristics of this wonderful airplane on a regular bases.

BTW, while not many large transport category aircraft can match the speed of the B747, don't underestimate the speed of the B757. We flew it regularly at .84 Mach. And, the ability to cruise at FL410 was nice during T'storm season. Coming from the B727 (lead sled) to the B757 was a real performance eye opener for me!
ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Now the bigger question is which plane is a better performer the 757 or the 767 with it 31 degree wing sweep

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough to answer. I flew both on a regular basis. I've got more time in the 75 than our B767-300ER's simply because we've had them longer. Both are fantastic pieces of machinery. Our 76's will actually outperform the 75's in some instances. Sustained climb rates are better in the 76. A Citation 10 pilot on my 767 jumpseat many years ago said we were outperforming his airplane in the climb. Once, we stopped all talking on the tower freq for an unusual amount of time on a busy day in DFW while doing an empty, max power t/o in the winter. The tower queried us after this awkward pause with, "Everything all right gentleman?", "What are you carrying, ping pong balls?" and, "You guys will get a nose bleed climbing out like that!" And finally, "That was very impressive guys, thanks!"
grin.gif

The 76 is slightly faster than the 75 but really a negligible difference. The 76 has lighter control forces which almost felt like the control wheel wasn't connected to anything when I first flew it.

The 75 was a sports car and the 76 is a Cadillac with sports car performance.

Hey thanks for the info on the 757 Doug and A300Capt. Before the 757 my favorite plane used to be the 727-200. Man that is a sweet looking plane.

It saddens me that it's days are almost done and over with in terms of new aircraft being built.

But I have real hope for the future and the 7E7. It's shapin up to be a real looker and performer.

Maybe one day I'll fly it. I want to be a domestic pilot for Delta flying 757,767, 7E7 and 777 if Delta flies that aircraft domestically.

Lastly I believe in a previous thread A300Capt. You said that you got bored flying the 757/767 as it had become "old hand" to you and you cross trained in the A300. Do miss the type and how does the A300 differ from the 757/767?

Back