What? 90 days!

robair73

I just took a look at the ATP website and saw that it only takes 90 days to get your certs after PPL. I'd like to hear some feedback on the program of people who have been through it or are going through it now. How is the hiring rate for CFI's there too. I'm looking to go in Jacksonville, Fl. THanks.

Quick recap....

You have to have your private to enter....there is no ground school. All of the written tests are on your own..... You fly pretty much full time, hence the 90 days.

I'm sure there is a LOT moreto it than that, but that is the quick condensed version.

Not really? How do you figure? There's plenty of info here, at their website, and their 1(800) number.

There is ground school for the CFI portion of the training.
However, aside from that it's expected that you do your own studying for the writtens and checkrides. That's not to mean the instructor(s) aren't available to answer any questions you may have, or to help you should you need it. I've seen them stretch pretty far to try to help students out, but there's no 'classroom groundschool' (Again, the CFI portion is different.)

And belive it or not, the majority of people who start this program do come out of it in aprox. 90 days, with all their ratings, and dare I say, as pretty good pilots, at that. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
You do so much flying, you eat, sleep and talk flying for 3 months, and there's a lot to be said for that.
Socal and I on this board have gone through it, he did it in.. 68 days? I did it in 76 or something. We both passed our v-rides the first time around, and Socal is one of the better pilots I've met. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

As I've said previously though (There is a lot of info to be found on this board, as the others have pointed out. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif) this program isn't for everybody, you have to be motivated and you have to be able to absorb information at a normal rate or above. If you have those two qualities you'll do well.

Cheers,
Helge

PS: Socal; It's too hot out here. They sold all their canoes, the lakes have dried up. Bummer.

Alderson,

68 days?!! I did the program in 59 days, so don't go messing with my reputation. Oh, and, you say I'm only ONE of the better pilots you've met? Not THE best? I'm truly heartbroken.

Hope you're staying cool out there and all my best to your Mrs. K...

P.S. Everyone gets a great laugh when I let them know the similarities between American beer and sex in canoes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Not ALL American beer! Some are in fact FNW but the US has some of the best beer in the world too. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Wow 59 days. That's amazing Socal. I'm very interested in the fast track program. I think I have a normal to high learning rate with most information. It's appealing to me to eat sleep and drink flying for 3 months, (well 5 months including PPL). I also plan study before I even arrive. Thanks Alderson. That's the type of info I was looking for. I only see two pages of threads. Only a few of them had much to say about the program and how students valued it. I was also wondering, what airlines does ATP have partnerships with?

Time for some thread hijacking...since we brought up the topic of watered-down American beer
During WWII certain crops were rationed, I think it was because a certain amount of it was going to the war effort, and included in these was barley and hops...stuff to make beer. Instead of making less beer, the breweries just watered it down. People still bought the beer in spite of this, so the breweries never went back to making stronger beer. Beer TV is a such a great show...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
68 days?!! I did the program in 59 days, so don't go messing with my reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]
And would that be the Rick Dee reputation? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif
I'm sorry, 59 days for you, 67 for me. That's how it was.
(So I'm blonde, and getting older.. So old in fact I can't come up with a funny punch line.)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh, and, you say I'm only ONE of the better pilots you've met? Not THE best? I'm truly heartbroken.

[/ QUOTE ]
You had your 'own' TV show.. Do you really need a larger ego? ;P

Are you working this weekend, Mr. Newly Married?

Oh, and thanks for the education on why US beer is so thin, Brandon. It's not a complete day until you learn something new. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Cheers,
Addy

I have a question. Lets say I think I can absorb this much of info but in reality I didnt. Am i Screwed up?
Will they let me take my time?

Been a while since I checked this BB, so sorry if the answer is a little late.

The program length has some flexibility built into it. If you need more time to grasp some of the things presented you will, most of the time, be given an opportunity to get it out of the way. If it's obvious to your instructor and ATP that you're working hard and trying, but not getting it, they're more likely to be lenient when it comes to giving you some more time to work. If, on the other hand, it's obvious you're not even trying then we'll not be that lenient..:)

All this said and done, the program is intense and accelerated, so a certain level of 'grasp' is needed.

However, as I've said so many times before, most people, if prepeared to work hard and apply themselves, will do well in the program.

Cheers,
Helge

Back