Western Michigan A&P

EndersFinalEnd

Hey,

I know this is a little off topic for a flight training sub-forum, but I couldn't really find a better place for this thread (besides the Mx thread, which is also not the best place for it either) so here goes: I'm looking to start my A/P schooling. The one college I'm mostly interested in is Wester Miching University. I was wondering if anyone here has gone to it or know someone who has. I have a couple questions I'd like to ask about the program. Specifically, the following:

1. Tools, provided/not
2. Do they run the program year round? As in, would it be an issue if I wanted to start during the spring term (I'll probably have my AD, so I shouldn't have to take too many basic classes)?
3. How are the proffessors? What kind of teaching do they like to do?
4. How much is theory and how much hands on?
5. Is there anything expected of me as a student going there? For instance, I know of a school that required all of their students to show up clean shaven and un-hungover. Not that that would be a problem, I'm just curious
6. I notice that they're based in Battle Creek (the Av college). How much of their classes are at the airport and how many on campus, if any?

I plan on asking the same questions to the guy that's in charge, but you and I both know that they're in the business of selling us an education, so I'll likely get the pink fluffy clouds and fairy tale version. Thanks a lot in advance,

-Chris A

I'm in the flight side of WMU, but I'll send this to the maintenance representative to the Aviation Student Council. Just PM me your email address, and I'll get you guys in touch.

Let me know if you have any questions in general about the College of Aviation.

I checked out WMUs A&P program. It looks pretty good. I would definitely go there if it wasn't an hour away (or if I didn't have to work full time). Andrews University is only about 10 minutes from my house though, so I am planning on getting my A&P there.

I'd strongly recommend you set up an appointment with the WMU aviation department to get a tour of the facility and talk with a counselor.

http://www.wmich.edu/aviation/

I would very much like to visit, but I'm not really in a position to do so. As I told Adler, even though my profile says Lansing, I'm actually in the Marshall Islands getting my A.D. and I should finish in December. I'd like to start Western (or wherever I pick) in the Spring semester, so there really isn't much time for me to visit and it is prohibitvely expensive to fly out during the summer (something like $3k round-trip). Anything you could tell me about the place would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to visit, but I just can't.

-Chris A

Did you mean Western specifically or college/university in general? It's also worth noting that I plan and dual majoring, so Aviation won't be my only degree. If Western specifically, do you mind if I ask what your reasons are?

Back