West Air questions.

ANC isn't that bad. Housing is a little spendy, many many many other subie fans though. The flying jobs there are very diverse too.

To be perfectly frank, I'm not interested in paying in to the degree racket. I did some classes, and they weren't remotely worth the thousands of dollars each that they cost, minus dramatically overpriced textbooks... if the classes were free, I might be able to put up with it, but especially now that I'm working as a pilot, I can't afford that nonsense.

People have been trying to sell me on the degree thing for a long time, but I'm not buying.

I accept the consequences of that.

-Fox
What schools gv credit for Atl cert?

Go to a regional, when you have a cush schedule do online classes and finish your degree. There are a few colleges which will give you up to like 45 hours of credit for your pilot certificates (if you have ATP + CFI.)
What schools gv credit for ATP cert?

Utah Valley University's online program

Thomas Edison State College

Do your homework when looking into this stuff - there are limitations to how much credit you can get for ratings, and strict limits on how much other course credit you can get for experience. UVU has a pretty good system, but the courses you have to pay for are REALLY expensive.

Do your homework when looking into this stuff - there are limitations to how much credit you can get for ratings, and strict limits on how much other course credit you can get for experience. UVU has a pretty good system, but the courses you have to pay for are REALLY expensive.

They're really not. I did UVU, ultimately is was nearly the same price all together as going to a "state school." It's a decent deal.

Empire and my own company, Mountain Air Cargo, are the only FedEx Feeders that are in CASS that I'm aware of. We have jumpseat agreements with quite a few airlines, but then again, these are the only two feeders that operate ATRs for FedEx. The Caravan only companies like Baron Aviation and West Air are not in CASS.

Care to share what airlines Mountain Air Cargo has agreements with? I can't find details anywhere online.

Empire and my own company, Mountain Air Cargo, are the only FedEx Feeders that are in CASS that I'm aware of. We have jumpseat agreements with quite a few airlines, but then again, these are the only two feeders that operate ATRs for FedEx. The Caravan only companies like Baron Aviation and West Air are not in CASS.

Personally, I love flying the 208, and this is the easiest pilot job I have had so far.
Correct. We were told no CASS at Baron because of cost. (Which incidentally was only $2000 buy in and $500/mo for our entire certificate) I started the process of offering up the chain of command to develop a standards/AC compliant CASS database application (similar to the custom application Ameriflight has), doing all the work with ARINC, our POI and the TSA myself for free but there was no real desire or traction. I got a pat on the head and told not to worry my little pilot head about it.

I did a fair bit of research about it before I even contacted anyone at Baron, made tenative contact with ARINC, unofficial calls to someone who was responsible for maintaining it at Ameriflight (which helped a lot), seemed very achievable, straight-forward. Making the server idiot proof when your user/maintainer was probably going to be a hillybilly in the Missouri swamp was probably more complicated. Remember having that down, planning on having everything start automatically on a small computer running that doesn't have a monitor or keyboard hooked up to it, so their troubleshooting would be limited to power cycling. Running linux with ssh enabled so I could get in if I really needed. They didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks on the server itself and didn't want to be "liable" for keeping the database up to date, or counting on me to be working there if it broke down in the future, essentially. I can almost understand that last one, except ARINC is so thorough and the specifications so exact and application so simple (personnel CRUD with picture upload) that I think had I made it there would have been minimal to no bugs by the time ARINC approved it and it could have ran for perpetuity or atleast until the CASS specification changed and they added something new.

Last edited:
Back